WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Structured Critiques
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2018, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Windham, Maine

Hails from United States
Waiting At Alexandria

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Waiting At Alexandria
Year Created:
Medium: Pastel
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 6x10in
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
The work is a combination of alcohol wash underpainting, soft pastels and pastel pencil on 'black' Art Spectrum colourfix paper.
This is not a subject I would ordinarily undertake. The scene intrigued me from the train. I took a photo but discovered later I'd captured both the platform and reflections of the interior of the train making it hard to make out the left most fifth of the image. I could not make this area work in the painting, and it has been cropped from the image. I am aware this puts a strain on some composition rules (sticking something in the middle, for instance).

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I very much like the figures, the way the light wraps around them (do these work for you)? Should the water fountain be subtler? Does anyone have input on how to pull a straight line solely with soft pastel without it looking as if it was knife edged? I struggled with this and feel as if part of my painting is too tight when it either has to all be tight or all be loose. Or are the two combined working?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2018, 06:57 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada
Re: Waiting At Alexandria

i think a tight/loose combo is fine as long as it's not too obvious
can't help with pastel techniques
coi seems to be the dark foreground fellow and i like that it is [the green thing tries but doesn't compete too much]
comp Could have been better with more space on the right, like this ...

la
Attached Images

Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2018, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Windham, Maine

Hails from United States

Thank you for the feedback, La. I had hoped this would go to Structured Critiques, and luckily you have provided one. Center of interest is the dark foreground figure, so "Whew!" that worked. I would have to make up anything to add to the right, but it could be done if I consider this a step to a new piece.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2018, 01:59 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

yeah, the link to structure is broken, you'll have to ask a mod to move it there for you.
of comp crit, merely a thought for future pieces, a little breathing space goes a long way to help focus in on the coi
it's still a valid piece as you've done it

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2018, 03:04 AM
Veteran Member
Windham, Maine

Hails from United States

Reworked based on La's feedback: Thanks
Name:  20180506_015201-580x592.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  84.1 KB

Last edited by artelahe : 05-06-2018 at 03:06 AM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2018, 11:04 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

nice, how fortunate that you had more paper off to the right, that's rare. what size it is now?

la
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2018, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Windham, Maine

Hails from United States

I had the prior dimensions wrong. It is now about 9x9in.

I don't always have extra paper, but it is my practice as a pastelist to use area that might be considered margin to color test and value test before applying it to the actual painting. In this case I had been working on a large sheet of black art spectrum color fix paper that currently has two other small paintings on it. I had turned the entire thing to provide room for this image. I still had 8in to the right to play with. Unfortunately, that is not always been the case. There is one painting I very much loved that needed several inches added to the too, but I had been painting close to the top of the paper and had nowhere to go. At some point, because I really like that painting (of my yellow house at night in the winter with snow piled around it and warm light coming from inside), at some point I'm going to have to paint it again in the correct proportions so that the house looks very much smaller ane the frigid night appearing much larger.

Thank you again, La

Aly!

Last edited by artelahe : 05-06-2018 at 06:14 PM.