WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2018, 08:02 AM
Wheeling, IL

Hails from United States
Starting a FB fanpage... any advice?

Other than "DON'T DO IT!!!", is there any advice for starting a page for your artwork on FB? It seems a bit tricky to me.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2018, 08:33 AM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States
Re: Starting a FB fanpage... any advice?

Post regularly and link to it from wherever you can. I post works in progress on mine.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2018, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Talent, OR

Hails from United States

Patience and consistency. Reach out to other artists.

That being said, I'm thinking of deleting my account. Facebook's business practices are shocking.

Good luck!

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2018, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member
Talent, OR

Hails from United States

I ought to say, good for you hmshood5 for doing the art page! I have had several of my art friends say that FB is finally cracking down on artists selling through their personal pages. They're getting warnings and being told to start an art business page. My impression is that it takes time to build your presence. However, when I did it, I had a higher engagement when I posted my own work. That being said, I still shared from the following: other art friends; local, regional and national art events; cool art things on the web; my favorite art suppliers, especially if I used their supplies. But, with a healthy dose of my own stuff mixed in. You're building a following. Best wishes!

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2018, 02:40 PM
USA

Hails from United States

I think Facebook got so bad as a venue for small business people in the last years, sadly. It is just about Zuckerberg making money, no one else. It used to be so much easier to build up following, get noticed there. Stuff don`t show up in the news feed anymore. Facebook is limiting people more and more. ...they just care about making money on your ads. I am thinking of quiting there. It seems like a big waste of time.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2018, 11:38 PM
Hanoi

Hails from Viet Nam

You should tell us more about your purpose of creating a fanpage. Is it used to sell your paintings or just to advertise your reputation...
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2018, 09:06 AM
Wheeling, IL

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat Color
You should tell us more about your purpose of creating a fanpage. Is it used to sell your paintings or just to advertise your reputation...
Exposure, mainly. I don't do art primarily for money.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2018, 02:07 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttineagle
I think Facebook got so bad as a venue for small business people in the last years, sadly. It is just about Zuckerberg making money, no one else. It used to be so much easier to build up following, get noticed there. Stuff don`t show up in the news feed anymore. Facebook is limiting people more and more. ...they just care about making money on your ads. I am thinking of quiting there. It seems like a big waste of time.

Instagram is a much better social media site for artists, and incidentally although Instagram is still growing in popularity while Facebook has peaked and may be shrinking, Zuck makes a lot more money per user from Facebook than from Instagram.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2018, 07:36 PM
A WC! Legend
Rabun Gap, GA

Hails from United States

I recently got a pop up survey from FB with lots of questions about how much I felt the site was secure, how much benefit to me, friends, business, how secure my info was on the site...and lots more. Quite frankly after the survey I realized that my comments were all in the negative! I deleted my account several days ago and got an email from my daughter welcoming me to "FB Freedom!"

Everyone has to make their own decision about FB, but for me, it was not producing any clients (had an art page too), was not allowing me to view my timeline as I chose to...and I really don't miss all the ads! I had more than 1500 friends...most of whom I had no idea of who or how they had become friends with me! If you do use FB for social media, keep an eye on that and on what you upload. Many artists put watermarks on their images which is not a real safeguard but it does help.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2018, 08:19 AM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

The vast majority of my art sales have been from people who saw my art on FB. I have an art business page with 250 followers, but I don't see much from that (likewise with my non-art shop page, where I have over 3000 followers). Instead, most people click through from my personal page, where I have 1300+ friends. I post works in progress and finished pieces on my personal and art pages with links to my art site. A couple of times a bit ago I got a sort of pop-up from FB about remarking about selling something on a personal page. I can't remember exactly what it said, but it made me nervous, so I changed how I post finished works on there now. And I am careful to post other things (including other artists) so that I am not just posting about selling.

I did recently have lunch with someone who owns a gallery and posts on FB. She said she did pay for ads on there and jokingly said it was her "FB tithe." She said it was not a big amount. Because of my friend's attitude, I decided I would give ads a try on there. I have seen two artists also paying for ads, and one of them sells a lot of paintings (smallish traditional landscape paintings).

If you have an art site off FB, then be sure to create a "Shop Now" tag on your FB art page. I didn't even know that possibility existed for years.

So I don't think FB is hopeless for artists by any means.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2018, 08:50 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United Kingdom

If you have the time, try it and give it a real good go. Post often, share other people’s interesting posts or articles and make it a great magazine that evolves around your art and everything else that might interest your fans.
It might work great for you.
For some Instagram works better, or Twitter, for others it is Facebook. You won’t know until you try and give it some time to grow. (FB is my biggest social media platform).
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2018, 11:57 AM

I think a fb business page for art is great! That is how I started and it has been awesome. I don't know how else I could have started. I post my available paintings and advertise shows that I will be at. I never post other artist's work because the sole purpose of my fb page is to sell my work. It does take awhile to build a group of followers though. I think it was slow going for about a year and then it just started to build on it's own from people doing searches on fb I suppose. But in the meantime, it's fun posting pictures of your paintings. I have followers from all over the world and have talked to many different people which is also fun.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2018, 05:34 PM
A Local Legend
Calgary, AB

Hails from Canada

i have been dabbling in online selling since last year. i have never been a big fan of facebook, but i didn't start to sell anything until i started sharing my ebay listings in some of the facebook groups. there are many special interest groups there that may apply to what you are selling. no one has mentioned this so i thought i would throw it out there
What kind of pencil shall I use? 2B or not 2B?”
Spike Milligan
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2018, 04:24 AM
Greensboro, NC

Hails from United States

For FB I had two major bumps. The first, when I first started and asked my circle of people to like the page. The second bump came when I did a Giveaway! Yes, some will stay and then leave right after, that's normal. But it increased my followers significantly.

Since it is linked and run through my pain FB member page, I have a second FB now for just close friends in town and family (76ppl) so I don't lose touch. The other two - my first FB account and the FB page - are now focused strongly on art (779 and 326 respectively), and I have made an effort to make it so. Just added 12 more people this week. Then, from my FB page, I can send them an invitation to like the page.

When doing a Giveaway, it's important that you have your followers interact, this is key.

a) have them like your page and the post
b) have them comment on the post (ask a question that is involved in the Giveaway) so their friends will see it in their newsfeed
c) have them SHARE the post.
...in order to be entered in your giveaway.

Important is too that the item is FREE and it is interesting for your ideal target audience! For example, a print or choice of three prints of yours (folks can comment on their favorite, for example), and that shipping is free! Make sure you add your winner to your contact database.

Provide professionalism, excellence, exquisite production, and never EVER leave someone unhappy with your business.

......on another note, I have been looking into connecting my social media accounts somehow so I can spend a little less time on it, and have it work for me. Tonight for example, I was looking into Crowdfire and Hootsuite, but I don't think I want to pay for that service just yet.

Good luck to you! Salut!

Last edited by AGunterhaus : 10-08-2018 at 04:26 AM.