WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2018, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member

Glossy fluid acrylics

I have some Golden Fluid and High Flow acrylics, as well as some AV acrylic goache. The goache are very matte (as expected) whilst the Golden ones have a different level of matte-glossy based on the pigments used.

Is there a range of fluid acrylics that is glossy across all the colours? I like to use the matte and glossy ones for different purposes.

Thanks,
Richard
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2018, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member

Re: Glossy fluid acrylics

No one?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2018, 03:12 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Hi Richard. I don't like the paint dictating how my surface will be whether matte, satin or gloss. I especially dislike a very glossy paint as very often it can cause a glare when I paint.
So how do I control my surface? It is all in the final varnish. It is, after all, the varnish that brings it all together visually as well as protecting.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2018, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard P
I have some Golden Fluid and High Flow acrylics, as well as some AV acrylic goache. The goache are very matte (as expected) whilst the Golden ones have a different level of matte-glossy based on the pigments used.

Is there a range of fluid acrylics that is glossy across all the colours? I like to use the matte and glossy ones for different purposes.

Thanks,
Richard
You can make matt colors glossy by adding gloss medium.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2018, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcam
Hi Richard. I don't like the paint dictating how my surface will be whether matte, satin or gloss. I especially dislike a very glossy paint as very often it can cause a glare when I paint.
So how do I control my surface? It is all in the final varnish. It is, after all, the varnish that brings it all together visually as well as protecting.
what product do you use as the final varnis?
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2018, 03:28 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

I use liquitex, Golden, Atelier.
Sometimes soluvar spray. I have quite an arsenal.I really am an acrylic freak.

I remember entering a show and my painting was terribly glossy. I used liquitex matte varnish and was very pleased. The painting won an award.

Last edited by Dcam : 03-09-2018 at 03:31 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2018, 07:45 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Canada

Hails from Canada

Richard,
Tri Art Finest Liquid are the glossiest acrylics I've ever come across. Their gloss level varies by pigment, but on average they seem to be even glossier than Golden Fluids. All the organic colors are high gloss from what I can tell. The heavy metal colors and earth colors are less glossy as you'd expect. Their pigmentation level is equally high as Golden Fluids but they are a bit thicker.

Sennelier Abstract acrylics also have a few colors in high gloss finish, but these are heavy body acrylics according to the description. I never tried them yet, so I can't vouch for their quality yet. Hope to soon.

I personally love the oil-like look I get using high gloss acrylics...whether the entire artwork, or with natural gloss variations within the artwork.

Last edited by Patrick1 : 03-09-2018 at 07:47 PM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2018, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcam
I use liquitex, Golden, Atelier.
Sometimes soluvar spray. I have quite an arsenal.I really am an acrylic freak.

I remember entering a show and my painting was terribly glossy. I used liquitex matte varnish and was very pleased. The painting won an award.

Thank you all for your answers. This is why I would like to use glossy paints because I can add one layer of matte or satin varnish at the end and not have layers of matt paints which have more colour shift when dry and all the layers of matting agents in the way.

Does that make sense?