WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2018, 05:16 PM
Lord of the Arts
Alaska

Art/Illustration . .

Is the art vs. illustration valid?

It seems to me that art, to be art, must illustrate something in the same way that poetry, to be poetry, must say something.

Help . .
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2018, 06:06 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States
Re: Art/Illustration . .

I think the distinction is mostly arbitrary, but the argument will likely never end.

I don't see why art by necessity has to illustrate anything.

Poetry has a closer alliance with music than with art. It's music with words instead of notes.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2018, 09:20 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
La tierra del encanto

Hails from United States

It is an on-going debate
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2018, 01:04 AM
Veteran Member
W Ontario

Hails from Canada

If there are many types are art then there are many types of artists. So no.
Any one who creates something is creating art even if its just disaster and chaos.
Illustration is just one type of art even if those who are exclusive fine artists do not believe that it is. In the end its up to your own personal opinions and the rest doesen't matter.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2018, 01:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow_tabby
If there are many types are art then there are many types of artists. So no.
Any one who creates something is creating art even if its just disaster and chaos.
Illustration is just one type of art even if those who are exclusive fine artists do not believe that it is. In the end its up to your own personal opinions and the rest doesen't matter.
In a world where anything can be art, nothing is "art". The word no longer has meaning, so the debate is meaningless.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2018, 04:26 AM
Veteran Member
western New York

Hails from United States

well with of the some of the ilk that passes itself (and even worse, is *accepted* as art, then of course illustration is art.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2018, 10:35 AM
Lord of the Arts
Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBongolian
In a world where anything can be art, nothing is "art". The word no longer has meaning, so the debate is meaningless.
Thanks all for your comments. The above is, I think, particularly well noted . .
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2018, 11:28 AM
Lord of the Arts
L.I., New York

Hails from United States

Illustration is to art as carpentry is to cabinet making.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2018, 12:01 PM
Lord of the Arts
Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by john
Illustration is to art as carpentry is to cabinet making.
Well, John, I've done plenty of both . . built houses, cabinets, furniture and much more. Trust me, your dog won't hunt.

Norman Rockwell is a carpenter and Andy Warhol is a cabinet maker . . ?

. . .
Attached Images

Last edited by Olaf : 03-09-2018 at 12:28 PM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2018, 01:27 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

I see no harm in defining illustration as a separate field from fine art. But in no way does this mean that fine art is somehow more elevated than illustration. Better a good carpenter than a bad cabinetmaker.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2018, 01:53 PM
Lord of the Arts
Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by musket
I see no harm in defining illustration as a separate field from fine art. But in no way does this mean that fine art is somehow more elevated than illustration.
The problem is not in the defining, the problem is in coming up with the definitions . . any ideas . . ?
Quote:
Better a good carpenter than a bad cabinetmaker.
Trust me, a good one of either is a good one of both.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2018, 02:06 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

For illustration, no problem.

"A picture or image that is used to decorate or clarify a text."

For art, big problem, for the reason stated by theBongolian.

I was a pro guitarmaker for over twenty-five years. This is an activity very close to cabinet making (although calling a guitar a cabinet with strings is an insult to the maker, implying that the workmanship, no matter how fine, is better than the sound). This doesn't mean I'm a good carpenter. I'm good enough to build a functional but not pretty workbench. I'm certainly not suited to framing a house or installing a staircase.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2018, 02:13 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

rockwell was a fine craftsman and storyteller
warhol was a fine salesman and marketer

Everything is classifiable as art if you're imaginative enough

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2018, 02:16 PM
Enthusiast

My definition of illustration is that it’s a type of art that provides or explains something to a viewer, or serves another art form. It’s “purpose” is technical, and most likely, commercial, although most people would still certainly call it, or consider it, “art.”

ART is so much more encompassing and has a bigger purpose than ILLUSTRATION. Sure, art can “illustrate something,” but it can also communicate ideas, create a sense of beauty, explore nature, provide an outlet for self discovery, challenge/excite and on and on. Once we choose our intended purpose, we can then choose our mode of expression like illustration or our medium like paint, sculpture, installation, ceramics, drawing, printmaking and on an on. And of course, ART goes way beyond the visual arts to any or all of the other arts.

I consider illustration a “subset” of ART and this is nothing more than me grappling with my own definitions. Well...and I DID get my degree in illustration and was hired as an illustrator on a toddler activity book for Simon & Shuster. In many ways, I’m STILL grappling with my “illustrative” style of painting which I’ve never liked. Makes me nuts.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2018, 02:26 PM
Lord of the Arts
Alaska

Quote:
For illustration, no problem.

"A picture or image that is used to decorate or clarify a text."

For art, big problem, for the reason stated by theBongolian.

I was a pro guitarmaker for over twenty-five years. This is an activity very close to cabinet making (although calling a guitar a cabinet with strings is an insult to the maker, implying that the workmanship, no matter how fine, is better than the sound). This doesn't mean I'm a good carpenter. I'm good enough to build a functional but not pretty workbench. I'm certainly not suited to framing a house or installing a staircase.
I'd buy your definition of an illustration if we could call all else art . . but I don't think that will happen.

I've never made a guitar, but I have made dozens of Appalachian dulcimers, from scratch (no kits), a couple boats, and lots and lots of furniture. Instrument making is no way like cabinet making or carpentry . . at least not how I've experienced either. Cabinet making is all about rails and stiles, 90˚ joints, and square casework. Carpentry is all about framing squares, layout, and the math of rafters, risers, and treads. Instrument making is a whole 'nother world from both.
Attached Images