WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Palette Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2018, 09:04 AM

Manganese Blue Substitute????

I am trying to find a substitute for Manganese Blue. I know they no longer make it and the substitutes are a Manganese Blue Hue. I have looked at handprint and Jane's site but neither say which they prefer.

I need a Manganese Blue that is transparent or as close as I can get to transparent ).

Could you tell me which brand of Manganese Blue you prefer that is transparent? I am painting Botanical Watercolors.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2018, 10:09 AM

Hails from Malaysia
Re: Manganese Blue Substitute????

i just bought 1 a few days ago out of curiousity..

could u tell more about this hue and how u use it?

Bruce McEvoy recomend peacock blue by holbein..but the lightfastness is 2nd rating...
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2018, 03:26 PM

DaVinci has a Manganese Blue hue/mix that is part Manganese and part Pthalo Blue. I love it. Very transparent.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2018, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Washington

Hails from United States

Most of the manganese blue hues Iíve seen are pthalo blue (gs) mixed with titanium white. Those would probably not give you the transparency youíre looking for. I think Qorís manganese blue hue is a mix of pthalo blue and green, so that might be your best bet transparency-wise. Diluted pthalo blue could maybe get you that hue as well.

For what itís worth, it seems to me that most painters either go with cerulean or pthalo blue as their greenish blue. I donít see manganese blue or manganese blue hue mentioned often as a necessary palette color.

Last edited by Superturtle : 03-08-2018 at 08:07 PM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2018, 12:05 AM
Enthusiast

Daniel Smith Manganese Blue Hue is a granulating PB15 with no white.

It can be used as a nice sky blue by the sea. Now when I live far from the coast I use ultramarine.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2018, 01:04 AM
Nevada

Hails from United States

I have Winsor Newton Manganese Blue Hue, PB 15, Series 2A, Lightfastness II.

Shirley2
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2018, 02:32 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

The Manganese Blue I had was a very weak colour. I prefer Winsor Blue fot transparency and strength. I have both red and green shades.

Doug
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2018, 10:53 AM

Thanks so much for your help everyone! I decided to go with Laperico's suggestion because it had some of the actual Manganese pigment in it and was transparent. )
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrap2day
Thanks so much for your help everyone! I decided to go with Laperico's suggestion because it had some of the actual Manganese pigment in it and was transparent. )

You won't be disappointed. DaVinci paints aren't as flowy as my Daniel Smith's but they are excellent, excellent, excellent. The granulation is also very pretty but subtle.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2018, 06:32 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorky
The Manganese Blue I had was a very weak colour. I prefer Winsor Blue fot transparency and strength. I have both red and green shades.

Doug

+1
The original Manganese Blue wasn't that good mixing colour. This is not a disadvantage when you want to use a unique hue of a violet or a pink but blues are all about mixing. It is very rare the occasions that you are going to use a blue hue without mixing it with something else. And the original Manganese Blue didn't have that unique special hue, unable to mix with other colours or find anywhere else hue.. it was like a diluted light phthalo blue.