WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 01:04 PM

Country Spirit

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Country Spirit
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Linen
Dimension: 11
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a painting of a country music guitar player. I tried to give it an atmospheric quality. I may add a few impasto strokes in select areas to give it some pop.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any comments would be appreciated, particularly on color, composition, and values.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2018, 09:20 AM

Hails from Canada
Re: Country Spirit

I really like the atmosphere you have created and the way he fades out into the background.

The only small critique I may have is that his face could use a bit more contrast to stand out..
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2018, 11:56 AM

Thank you for your comments and I understand how you would think the face needs more contrast. However, I noticed that the photo shows less contrast in the face than the actual painting. In the actual painting, the face tone is the same as the arms and I hesitate to darken the face more.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2018, 04:16 PM
Manitoba

Hails from Canada

It's really nice. Maybe you could define his sleeve a touch more on the right arm (the one strumming). For a second I thought the lower half of his arm was floating in nowhere detached from his body. Or maybe just change the background colour near his sleeve slightly so it doesn't blend in quite so well. I really like this painting, great job.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2018, 07:11 PM

I made a few minor adjustments based on excellent comments and took a better photo without glare. Hope it looks better.

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2018, 08:16 PM

There's a lot to like here, with the pose, outfit and look. Very enjoyable mood. My only suggestion concerns the right arm (his right). You might consider darkening the background a tad to make the shirt sleeve stand out more. The same arm looks as though the radius and ulna have been broken at some time. Maybe check the contouring there. Apart from that this is quite lovely.

Best

Brian
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2018, 10:21 PM
A Local Legend
Hamilton NJ

Hails from United States

Excellent job.
I can hear the music.
Those of us who are not Michaelangelo, paint the hands too small in relation to the rest the figure.
For your next one, paint the hands ridiculously large. They'll still be too small.