WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 10:48 AM

Rublev Watercolors

I snagged 6 full pans, 6 half pans and 7 seashell pans of new Rublev watercolors at Goodwill for $3.00. Does anyone know anything about this brand? They seem pretty old.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 10:56 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Colorado

Hails from United States
Re: Rublev Watercolors

You can still get the watercolor in seashells:
https://davinciartistsupply.com/shop..._100133_102985

Their brand is popular in oils, also. They're considered natural pigments.
https://www.naturalpigments.com/watercolor/paints.html

Looks like you got a great deal!

Jan
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 11:10 AM
Raleigh NC

Hails from United States

You got yourself a great deal. These are good quality paints.

- Tesh Parekh
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 11:22 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

They can't be too old, since they didn't start making paint until sometime in the mid to later 2000s, so it's basically still new. It's really good paint, and worth far, far more than you paid. $3 wouldn't even buy one of these pans.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 12:47 PM

Beautiful Colors. The bag had duplicates of everything. So I won’t be running out anytime soon. I love a good find.

The Seashells are pretty gimmicky. They don’t lay flat which makes using them annoying. They include what appears to be less than a half pan of paint. Maybe if the shells were larger and flatter?

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 07:11 PM
Behind the Orange Curtain

Hails from United States

Anchor those seashells to something with a generous blob of BluTak or similar, they will stop wobbling around. Nice find!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 07:23 PM
Enthusiast
Westfir, Oregon

Hails from United States

What a find! You're so lucky!

I think the little shells are cute. I agree that blue tac or something like that would be a good way to anchor them.

I'm very very limited in what I can pay for art supplies, so I love a bargain. I was wanting to make myself a little travel kit using half pans in a breath mint tin but I don't have any of the little magnetic dots and can't buy any. But the other day, they passed around some new phone books and on the front there was a business card that was magnetic to stick on the fridge. Voila! Magnetic stuff to make the little watercolor travel box.

It's wonderful when we keep our eyes peeled and our imaginations in gear isn't it? Who would have thought to look at Goodwill for watercolors? You did and it paid off big time. Congratulations! Let us know how you like the watercolors in paintings.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen E

It's wonderful when we keep our eyes peeled and our imaginations in gear isn't it? Who would have thought to look at Goodwill for watercolors? You did and it paid off big time. Congratulations! Let us know how you like the watercolors in paintings.

You would be surprised what you can find at Goodwills and Thrift Stores. I have found wooden paint boxes and tackle boxes filled with paints and brushes. I found some great W&N Oil Paints for pennies per tube. I don't paint with Oil, so I sold them on ebay and purchased some watercolor supplies - win. I always keep my eyes open for craft/art supplies at yard sales too.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2018, 06:05 PM
Behind the Orange Curtain

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen E
I'm very very limited in what I can pay for art supplies, so I love a bargain. I was wanting to make myself a little travel kit using half pans in a breath mint tin but I don't have any of the little magnetic dots and can't buy any. But the other day, they passed around some new phone books and on the front there was a business card that was magnetic to stick on the fridge. Voila! Magnetic stuff to make the little watercolor travel box.

You're my kinda artist for sure!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2018, 06:28 AM

I get probably 40% of my art supplies at our local Goodwill stores. My favorite travel pallete, 12 half pans of unknown manufacturer, came from there for $1.21. I wish I knew who made it.