WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Abstract and Contemporary Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2018, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member

runaway WIP

sometimes paintings take off and drag you behind.

i'd like to keep the walls, the vertical elements and the large figure with its shadow-like elements in the middle.

at this rudimentary stage, with no final color anywhere, before you start zooming in suspecting human figures to be found;
even with the glare of two layers of mica on most parts, on pure design:
do the vertical shapes have meaning? do they belong? your gut reaction?

i think it's pulling in two directions.

c&c welcome
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2018, 06:34 PM
A Local Legend
Costa Rica

Hails from Costa Rica
Re: runaway WIP

I am not sure what you are getting at with this piece..but that could just be me lol!

Re the vertical shapes, they confuse me, but I am sure someone else will chime in.

"Life is far too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2018, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Black
I am not sure what you are getting at with this piece..but that could just be me lol!

nahh i'm pretty sure that's my que... but being this lost every little thing helps!
i made a quick mock up on the phone app to exorcise the smaller figures

Name:  Screenshot_2018-03-07-02-38-52-1.png
Views: 151
Size:  382.5 KB

that's probably the way to go, with just the geometry in relation to the one large figure, but once those little figures 'appeared' it feels sort of lacking without them. sigh.
the lines in the black and white image are now half the story. something is wrong in numbers or proportions, somewhere. maybe the orange sketch of a shadow needs to be black.

thanks for commenting!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2018, 08:19 PM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States

This is a hub and spokes composition - not sure about having the spokes converge in the dead zone in the center of the painting.

It is possible to make it work, but it's not easy.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2018, 09:41 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

i don't mind the extra characters
but the 'black' on the verticals competes more than necessary

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 01:16 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Scotland

I concur that the black elements, especially those two triangle shapes on the left, are in the way. I also feel as though the vanishing point is off somehow. Maybe that was intentional? It feels like it should be to the left...

From Prayer Before Birth by Louis Macneice.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 01:45 AM
Veteran Member
Cali

I like the small figures and the surreal aspect of the black verticals, almost like floating perches.
Your idea is an interesting one, but I'm not sure about the use of quadrants pointing to a center that has no visual interest for me. You could go a couple of ways on this, either paring back or adding more. It would be great to see you lose a little control on this one as you work through it mentally. If you don't like it........white gesso . There are no fatal errors in painting and always new discoveries to be made.
Keep posting your progress.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member

reading these responses was as exciting as painting.

@cliff.kachinske; this was really helpful, your words connected with the idea immediately. circles, arcs, repetition - already begun with the shadow shapes. great big thank you!

@La_ thank you! and @graphicali, thanks so much! this will be a soft, unanimously greywhite, mica shimmering 2D painting with impasto, the color of the figure might remain grey but mixed grey instead of the out-the-tube underpainting shade seen, the round circles will be in strong, stark darkish colors. the aim is to have the existing main shapes come through as glimpses with harsh contrast, lack of shine and the large areas in minor value variations.
(i may be a beginner painter but also an accomplished dreamer. )

@Bilateral thank you! the small figures appeared with the technique where you just enhance shapes in underpainting. they sort of helped me understand the image thoroughly. as for the gesso - gotta bucket of it, plus, the sherlock holmes to your morning after whodunnit remorse: schmincke norma opaque white.

blushing, but fourth attempt with more glare but proper angle to show the dead enter vanishing point and the geometry.

Name:  Screenshot_2018-03-07-14-10-21-2.png
Views: 135
Size:  396.5 KB

thank you all!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 10:23 AM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States

There's a reason why it's called the "dead center." The viewer's eye follows the diagonals into the center and stops there and the viewer's interest dies.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

true!
it's possible that the center position will be one of the actors on stage, if i only manage to produce the full scope of the idea on canvas.
going forward with one more contrast&color layer focusing on subtle arches. then comes the main character of this play, the white overall cover and i'm hiding the little people. when that is in place, the lines will naturally still be there but in a suggestive manner. fingers crossed and let the double loading exercises begin!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 03:19 PM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States

Good luck.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 05:09 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Southern Delaware

Hails from United States

I sort of like how the channel disappears way in the center distance. The composition does suck the eye in. You could always crop it down from the top if you wanted to change the focal point. The one figure seems to be pointing at something in the distance, which at this stage is raising our expectations

☮✞AΩ☼ http://www.christophervasil.com
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member

i was going to say something but instead clicked the link in your sig. The transporter lock might have been affected by the ion storm and i've just materialized somewhere else!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 06:06 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Southern Delaware

Hails from United States

Ah, an exchange? If you're here, then.....

☮✞AΩ☼ http://www.christophervasil.com
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 08:21 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United Nations

this piece has its own character to create its own momentum. let it continue its own journey before it loses its sovereignty.