WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2018, 01:16 PM

numbers, color swatches and the joy of memorizing all of them

I made a list of the components of the Sennelier Paris Colors (120 half sticks) and the Plein Air Landscape (80 half sticks). I had to do it manually, that is, copy-pasting a lot of numbers into a word file. It would be really nice to have the option to do this tpye of comparison by a few clicks (it wouldn't take much thinking for a database programmer to write a script for this purpose). It kind of puzzles me why this is not yet available, given the fact that for most consumers this is such an essential information. Dickblick has a great database of many sets and their color swatches, it is really just a few more steps to incorporate such a little app into their website. Should we petition them?
Attached Files
File Type: doc Sennelier - Paris - Landscape 80 halfs.doc (388.0 KB, 80 views)
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 03:28 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Washington state

Hails from United States
Re: numbers, color swatches and the joy of memorizing all of them

I'm not clear on what you mean by "components". Perhaps if you made that more clear you'd get some responses.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 08:21 AM

I just meant the specific colors that are represented in a given set.

I guess my OP wasn't really well written. The point is it would be nice to have
an app to make a quick comparison and see which colors come up in which sets of a given producer. In the above comparison, 80 colors are the same in the Paris set and the Plein Air Landscape 80 halfs set, meaning it's completely covered, even though Sennelier is supposed to have 525 different colors. I guess it has it's economical reasons, I am not here to criticize that. But it would help one make a decision a LOT quicker on whether they want a set of another producer in order to avoid having doubles.

Last edited by gergab : 03-07-2018 at 08:31 AM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 04:54 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Washington state

Hails from United States

Ok! Now I get it. Yes, the repeat of colors is a bit aggravating. However, in the two sets you reference the colors included were at the selection of two different very well known American pastel artists. The Paris selection was closed by Terrie Ford; she frequently has Workshops in France, and these colors are what she recommends to anyone wanting to know what she uses when there. The plein air set was chosen by Richard McKinley; he also has a neutrals and friends set. I happen to have all three sets. For that matter I'm on my third set of Paris. I don't find it a problem to have more than one color of most colors. There are a FEW in all sets I never use. Those are passed on to students who do use them or I crush them and add to my pastel dust jars which are eventually mixed with alcohol/water to form new, interesting colors.

One thing I do for all of my pastels is keep a handmade color chart for each brand I own. If I run out of a color, I can take the last remaining tiny piece to compare with the chart so I know what to reorder. Of course it helps to know what brand it is! Time and experience are pretty good teachers for knowing who made a pastel by feel and texture.