WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2018, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member

So you want to be an artist..

one seat left at the Academy of Arts in China.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2018, 02:24 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from New Zealand
Re: So you want to be an artist..

That's my seat,
If you look more closely I'm asleep underneath it.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2018, 08:37 AM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by selectedgrub
That's my seat,
If you look more closely I'm asleep underneath it.

Oh, oh,....If ya' sleep there, you're in trouble!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2018, 11:56 AM
Enthusiast

I had a pretty good commercial art job some years back that paid $45 / hour. They gave my job to someone in Thailand that was paid IIRC about $18 US per day plus a bunk to sleep on at night and two hot meals.

I was not happy at the time but it pushed me to retire early and I don't regret that one bit!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2018, 01:22 PM
A Local Legend
Ĺrhus

Hails from Denmark

I find that photo so depressing. I understand we are a social species, we work well in a herd, like sheep, but am I the only one who thinks this is just too much? They are so jammed packed, they certainly can't step back to get an overview of their work. What if you are in row 527 and you need to use the restroom?

http://www.artallison.com/
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2018, 01:24 PM
Enthusiast

I used Google image search and it looks like this might be an entrance exam of some kind to an art school.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2018, 02:13 PM
Lord of the Arts
L.I., New York

Hails from United States

Wow. But on the plus side you can get a reproduction of a Renoir really cheap.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2018, 04:25 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

I would go completely crazy, even if it's an entrance exam. The marathon all-day entrance exam at Cooper Union in 1967 had four hundred participants. That's more than enough.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2018, 05:23 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Greece

How do they figure out who is who and who made what among those with the surname Li ?

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2018, 05:37 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Southern Delaware

Hails from United States

A few years ago in NYC I came upon a troupe of Chinese portrait artists selling charcoal portraits in Central Park. It was humbling to watch them work. The typical western process seems to be to sketch the entire head shape first and then the features. These guys (this group was all guys) would start with an eye, render it perfectly, then move along to the nose, mouth, etc rendering each feature shape and value perfectly and completely before moving on. It was impressive.

☮✞AΩ☼ http://www.christophervasil.com

Last edited by Artchrispy : 03-06-2018 at 05:40 PM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 08:57 AM
A Local Legend
Ĺrhus

Hails from Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by musket
I would go completely crazy, even if it's an entrance exam. The marathon all-day entrance exam at Cooper Union in 1967 had four hundred participants. That's more than enough.

Did you go to Cooper Union? If so, how was it? My parents said no to Cooper Union, in the 80's, I think because it lacked a final diploma? And as they were paying, they had certain requirements. I went to Parsons, but wished I had gone to Cooper Union instead, where I could have learned actual drawing and anatomy.... as opposed to just schmoozing and hype and what is bigger is always better. Actually if I could do it all over, I'd of gone to a proper atelier.

http://www.artallison.com/
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 11:36 AM
A Local Legend
Costa Rica

Hails from Costa Rica

I wonder why nearly all of them are wearing either gray/white or black.

"Life is far too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 02:13 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

*sHuDder*

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 03:59 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonR
Did you go to Cooper Union? If so, how was it? My parents said no to Cooper Union, in the 80's, I think because it lacked a final diploma? And as they were paying, they had certain requirements. I went to Parsons, but wished I had gone to Cooper Union instead, where I could have learned actual drawing and anatomy.... as opposed to just schmoozing and hype and what is bigger is always better. Actually if I could do it all over, I'd of gone to a proper atelier.

I did. But not for long. The corner of St. Marks and the Bowery wasn't really a good place to go to school in the late Sixties. What was going on in the street was far more interesting than what was going on inside the hallowed halls of Cooper Union.

The curriculum consisted of a two year foundations course followed by a major in painting, sculpture, graphic design or photography. There were lots of lectures, most of them art-babble. Far as I recall, Cooper had a BA program just like any other accredited art school (it was no secret that the best art school in NYC was actually SVA, which had no accreditation at the time, but teachers who were actual working artists and not professional art academics). Cooper was extremely prestigious, along with Pratt. Also, it was tuition free, though you had to pay for everything else, housing, meals, supplies, books.

One of the more interesting aspects of Cooper was that they had no interest in any work you'd done in high school. They didn't want to see your portfolio, just your grade average and SAT. Otherwise, admission was determined by how well you did on their entrance exam, which lasted eight hours same day. The only actual art you did during the exam was a drawing of a pair of sneakers and a small clay maquette of a female torso. I forget what the rest was about. I don't know if this was still the policy in the 80s.

I would rather have gone to RISD, but only got a partial scholarship there, which wasn't good enough for my folks. My dad also went to Cooper, but his education was interrupted by WWII and he never graduated.

Last edited by musket : 03-07-2018 at 04:17 PM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 04:39 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by contumacious
I had a pretty good commercial art job some years back that paid $45 / hour. They gave my job to someone in Thailand that was paid IIRC about $18 US per day plus a bunk to sleep on at night and two hot meals.

I was not happy at the time but it pushed me to retire early and I don't regret that one bit!

So you were mad that you weren't making as much money because the job was given to someone else, but you presumably retired to make no money? 🙄

My Facebook Page