WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Watercolor Studio
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2018, 02:28 PM

Snake in the Grass WIP

I am working on a snake and bird picture at my husband’s request. I have the underpainting done, but I was wondering if anyone had any techniques on how to get the wet look of the snake skin and how to blur out the background.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2018, 03:37 PM
Enthusiast
Georgia, USA

Hails from United States
Re: Snake in the Grass WIP

First - this is a challenging image that you have excellently drawn!

When I read your request on "wet" look, I immediately thought of Anna Mason. Many of her paintings include a wet look, and she may explain how she does it through some of them like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NPvKtEIMtE

I hope that's helpful. Can't wait to see how this progresses!
Frank
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2018, 04:21 PM

Thank you for the suggestion. I will check out her stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankM
First - this is a challenging image that you have excellently drawn!

When I read your request on "wet" look, I immediately thought of Anna Mason. Many of her paintings include a wet look, and she may explain how she does it through some of them like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NPvKtEIMtE

I hope that's helpful. Can't wait to see how this progresses!
Frank
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 08:22 PM

Coming along.

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2018, 08:18 AM
Northwest suburbs of Chicago

If you want to paint the shiny snake skin, you need to paint the light reflections that makes it look shiny in the photo. There is a strong light reflection from the nose to over the eye. There are other light reflections on the top of the head, extending down the top of the body, and one along the edge of the jaw. The bird also has light reflections on its beak, around and over its eye, and on its neck.

The best way to get light reflections in watercolor is to reserve the background white paper at the reflections. Light glazes of color on some or all of the reserved white paper tones down the reflection as desired. This requires planing the light reflections at the beginning of the painting and carefully avoiding the reserved white areas. Using a resist to keep paint off the reserved areas works but leaves hard edges between the color and the area covered by the resist.

Light reflections can also be created by lifting color from the paper. You might try using a small fitch scrubber and paper towel to wet and lift the loosened color. Care must be taken not to extend the wet areas beyond the reflections.

Another way to achieve light reflections is by use of white paint, either straight or mixed with a bit of color. White paint is opaque and can result in a flat appearance compared to reserving the white paper, but it is very effective in small areas and where other techniques might not work.

Great sketch, by the way.

Hope this helps.
Mel
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2018, 10:13 AM

Thanks for the notes on leaving the paper white. I am using white Inktense to add the white back in as I go. I wanted to try glazing over the white Inktense to add some dimension. I am hoping it works, but we when I finally finish the piece.

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2018, 11:02 AM
Enthusiast
Georgia, USA

Hails from United States

Coming along nicely!