Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Search for:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Color Theory and Mixing
User Name
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
  #1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2018, 10:59 PM
Hails from United States
Posca Paint Markers

Hi, everyone.

I know this isn't a color theory question, but this seems to be the most technical part of the forum.

I've tried a few different paint markers, and by far, the Posca paint marker has the best tip and is the most convenient and economical.

However, I assume they are not lightfast, as they are designed for posters. There's nothing clearly stated on their web site about lightfastness, either. (or pigments, etc.)

If I wanted to use them on top of acrylics on paper, is there a way that I could prevent them from fading? I'm assuming just isolation coat and varnish?

High flow acrylic paint is great. . .except, there is no good marker for them, and they take a long time to dry. (hours vs. minutes)

Thank you!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2018, 12:12 AM
Veteran Member
Re: Posca Paint Markers

This is the information provided by Amazon.com

Posca Paint Markers:

These opaque felt tip markers can write on a variety of surfaces including plastic, metal, wood, glass, plaster, canvas and more. Paint can be scraped off from nonporous surfaces like glass, etc. but will adhere permanently to porous surfaces such as wood, paper, etc. Water-based pigment ink is non-toxic, lightfast and waterproof. The ink won't bleed through paper (unlike alcohol-based markers) and is excellent for vibrant signs and craft work.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2018, 05:09 AM

If they are pigment (rather than dye based) then they might work well. I'd imagine the yellow would be most likely to fade if they used something like PY3
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2018, 05:47 AM
WC! Guide
Hails from United Kingdom

I found this picture recently of lightfastness tests someone carried out with Posca pens. It looks as though most of them held up pretty well, with just a few fading.
C&C Welcome - Kay M

The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do - Rowland Emett