WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Cafť Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2018, 11:06 AM

Your experiences selling art on-line

Would any of you be willing to share your experiences selling art on-line? Iím considering on-line sales because I have a lot of paintings from over the years that are starting to pile up and Iím running out of places to display or store them.

I havenít established any relationships with galleries and Iím doubtful that I would make enough money after framing and commissions to make that worthwhile. Iíve also thought about trying to sell art through local coffee shops,etc., but havenít really explored that option.

Several months ago I set up an account through dailypaintworks.com but havenít sold anything so far and the monthly fees are starting to pile up. I initially thought that the account would be justified if I sold just a few pieces, but even that modest goal hasnít been achieved. The site purportedly markets paintings through Facebook and other venues but so far only one of my paintings has been featured, while other artists seem have their work promoted repeatedly. I am well aware that my work might not be selling because nobody wants to buy it, but it seems that comparable pieces at similar prices are selling through the site.

Now Iím considering setting up site at Etsy.com. They charge fees/commissions that would total about 7% of sales, but no monthly fees ó so at least I wouldnít be paying $12/month if nothing sells.

Your experiences?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2018, 12:17 PM
Lord of the Arts

Re: Your experiences selling art on-line

I have several online venues that show and offer my art for sale. So far since I set those up about 3 years ago, not a single sale.

90% of my sales have been through galleries and the rest though local organized shows / competitions, all where the art is viewed and sold in person. I will continue to pursue online sales with the hopes of getting some kind of following outside the geographic area I am currently limited to but my expectations are not very high.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2018, 07:02 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

I sell on DailyPaintworks too. It has become an important part of my income. I'm not saying I make megabucks, but the income really helps.

I looked at your gallery, Tom, and was amused to find that I was already aware of your work and admire your style!

I don't see anything wrong with your abilities as an artist, your subject matter, or your prices. They are all in line with what should sell on DPW.

What I've learned from DPW is to keep on putting stuff up. I find that when I don't have anything new up, that I rarely sell anything. Having paintings up on the front page (which you do when you upload something new) is the best way to sell, including sell old things. I recently sold a new painting and then had a collector go through my old stuff and buy something that had been up there for about three years!

I also have started to notice that I sell the best for the first half of the month. So, if you only have so many paintings you can do a month, try to schedule them to show earlier in the month. Also, some days of the week seem to do better, I think the weekends, but I could be wrong.

You could also try applying to UGallery. I sell okay there too (in fact, just sold something there too!). I think your work is good quality and don't see any reason why you wouldn't be accepted by them, but if it's not, just assume that they had enough landscape painters already or something. It wouldn't be because you're not skilled enough (trust me!).

I'm going to branch out to Etsy soon too.

In my case, being more prolific has really helped me sell more stuff overall. I paint realistically and focus mostly on a few themes that I enjoy painting and which are popular. But not SO popular that everyone is doing them.

I really think you can do this. Just give it more time and look around more for more places to sell.

It also may be that you're more of a sell-in-person (local galleries) type artist. Almost everything I sell is online. Everyone is different. But again, I am already familiar with your work and see no reason why you can't start selling.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2018, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Perhaps I just need to give it more time, and I definitely could post some newer paintings. Iíve got tons of paintings but havenít gotten around to photographing many of them. Ironically, Iíve ended up buying several paintings on DPW, which has put me more in the hole from a financial standpoint. I also find it hard to sell many paintings that mean something to me.

I might go ahead and post a few paintings on Etsy as well to see if I have better luck there.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2018, 08:11 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMather
Thanks for the feedback. Perhaps I just need to give it more time, and I definitely could post some newer paintings. Iíve got tons of paintings but havenít gotten around to photographing many of them. Ironically, Iíve ended up buying several paintings on DPW, which has put me more in the hole from a financial standpoint. I also find it hard to sell many paintings that mean something to me.

I might go ahead and post a few paintings on Etsy as well to see if I have better luck there.
If you already have some paintings, DO IT NOW, put them up on DPW!

I have had a DPW account for several years. At first I didn't sell much, but then I didn't put that many paintings up. (Maybe 2-3 a month if that.) Discouraged, I sort of let it slide. I'd sell a few times a year. I should have cancelled my account, but never got around to it.

Then I got a sale out of the blue which reminded me of my DPW account and thought, "I have all these paintings stacking up and why not put them up?" I had so many but had never bothered. I put one up that night and by morning, it had sold. I at first thought it was a glitch in their software and was actually annoyed to see a red dot by the painting because I thought it was a mistake!

Then I started putting up new paintings each day. Almost all sold. But then the middle of the month hit and no more sales... until the next month. By that time I had run out of new paintings, so that slowed my sales too!

I also believe that this time of year (up until maybe April or May) is the BEST time of year to sell (next to Christmas season). Though, sales happen throughout the year.

I cannot guarantee that you'll sell well on DPW because there are so many factors. But you have nice work and your prices are certainly reasonable. If you don't sell, it's not because you suck or anything, I can promise you that. I urge you to put up each extra painting you have, schedule them daily until at least the 15th and see what happens. Maybe you won't sell, but I suspect that something will get attention.

I've been trying to put up something almost every day lately. I have some DPW "regulars" (who have bought more than one painting from me) but lately I've been getting a lot of first-time buyers. The more exposure my works get on the front page, the more people discover me, and then they go through my gallery and see something they want...it all increases my odds of selling something. Not every buyer comes to check out DPW every day.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2018, 10:43 PM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

I believe I've sold one or two paintings because of having my art displayed on an on-line site (my blogspot).

However, with that sort of display, you must be constantly aware of the common, "Nigerian Scam". This is usually indicated by a responder who claims to want to send you $2000, in trade for your sending HIM $1000. Of course, his $2000 never comes through, leaving you minus your $1000, and possibly 2 or 3 paintings, as well.

I've never been taken by that scam, but I've had it tried on me a couple of times, and I can pretty well tell anyone how to recognize it when it is being perpetrated.

There are some very easy, telltale signs, when a scam is being attempted!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2018, 03:31 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFMartin
I believe I've sold one or two paintings because of having my art displayed on an on-line site (my blogspot).

However, with that sort of display, you must be constantly aware of the common, "Nigerian Scam". This is usually indicated by a responder who claims to want to send you $2000, in trade for your sending HIM $1000. Of course, his $2000 never comes through, leaving you minus your $1000, and possibly 2 or 3 paintings, as well.

I've never been taken by that scam, but I've had it tried on me a couple of times, and I can pretty well tell anyone how to recognize it when it is being perpetrated.

There are some very easy, telltale signs, when a scam is being attempted!
I had one guy who I think was working on trying that on me.

He said he couldn't use the credit card system on UGallery or on DailyPaintworks (DPW uses PayPal). I said, sorry, I got no other way to get a payment from you. He kept persisting and persisting. He wanted me to handle his payment personally. I said I can't do that. He kept on pestering me.

Then I finally asked him, which artworks in particular are you interested in? (He never seemed very specific, because of course he wasn't interested in my artwork...) He listed some that are exclusively on UGallery. I gave him the phone number of UGallery and told him to call them. I told him that I had an agreement with UGallery and the paintings HAD to sell through them. My hands were tied.

He stopped writing back. Finally!

Basically, any time someone "can't" send payments through PayPal or a credit card, they are trying to scam you (unless you know them personally or something). Even if they aren't trying to scam you, it's not worth the risk to deal with them because the odds are they're trying to scam you. (Taking a personal check would be okayóprobablyóIF it was for the exact amount and you wait a sufficient time to make sure the check is legit and clears.)

Last edited by mariposa-art : 03-04-2018 at 03:33 AM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2018, 03:12 PM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

There are several indicators of a scam, that I've noticed:

1) . The language of the scammer usually seems as though it has come through a Japanese translator, it is so broken and disjointed.

2) . The scammer often wants to deal through a third party, in terms of the payment. For example, one scammer actually wanted to deal through the shipper, in terms of payment. Another, through a "financial advisor".

3) . The scammer has no idea what piece of art he wants from you (because that's really not what he wants). In one case, the scammer was actually stupid enough to have selected the first 3 paintings on one page of my website. Those paintings were unrelated to each other, so it was pretty easy to detect that his selection was much too coincidental to be legitimate.

A person who legitimately wants to buy your art will usually discuss the ART with you, and the reason they want to buy it, rather than immediately skewing the conversation to the method of payment.

A person who legitimately wants to buy your art will notify you a second time, if they are actually interested in purchasing it.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2018, 08:44 PM
Enthusiast
Indiana

Hails from United States

I sell on etsy and at an area cooperative gallery. Maybe 10-12 pieces a year on etsy, mostly $100 or less. Smaller cheaper pieces sell more. At least my work pays for itself and there arent as many piled up in a closet.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2018, 08:46 PM
Enthusiast
Indiana

Hails from United States

I have had a few shady contacts from people wanting me to ship overseas. Dont commit until you know what boxing and shipping, including customs fees, will cost, and have the money in your account.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2018, 06:48 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

The most online sales I have ever had were $7500-12,000 per year, but I've taken down my website, due to the Internet becoming saturated with cut-rate art sites. I have since sold several on Facebook.

You never realize what you have until it is gone. Toilet paper is a good example.
My work on Facebook