WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2018, 09:06 AM

Smile Long time lurker - sketch pricing question

Hi everyone, I'm just looking for a bit of advice/opinion regarding how to price sketches.

I currently sell my original oil paintings and limited edition prints. Before each painting, I produce a sketch of what the painting will look like. These vary in quality from quite tidy and saleable to completely unsaleable (in my opinion). Generally, I've kept these sketches for myself, or occasionally given them away with the original. However recently I've found myself being asked if I'll sell the sketch that I produced before the painting.

Now I'm completely stumped what to charge for the sketches. I would imagine I should charge a lot less that what I charge for a painting, but should I charge more or less than I would for a limited edition print?

My paintings are approx 22in x 18in, prints are roughly A3 sized (in editions of 45-75), and the sketches are usually no bigger than around A5 sized.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2018, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member

Re: Long time lurker - sketch pricing question

What do your original paintings sell for?
What do your prints sell for?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2018, 05:27 PM
Enthusiast

I remember talking to a gallery owner and they said that many collectors will pay quite a bit for all the preliminary sketches and any studies that were done for the finished piece they are buying if the artist has a large following. I have considered bundling all that with my paintings, or offering the bundle for an additional fee to the buyer, but at the galleries I am hanging in now, there would be nowhere to store them and I don't want to have to ship them to the buyer. I have sold several studies. I price a study at 60% to half of the square inch price of the finished piece.

This artist was asking $1900 for rudimentary (not that great in my view) drawing on a torn out page from his sketchbook. It is currently on sale for $950. Apparently there is some interest in sketches from him.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2018, 09:00 PM
Enthusiast

Collectors sometimes feel a sketch is a rare insight into the mind of an artist. For that reason sketches may be prized. It is all in the sales pitch. Don't under sell your work.