Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Search for:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink
User Name
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
  #1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2018, 04:39 PM
Ontario, Canada
Hails from Canada
Village Alleyway

Sorry, I'm late for the party everyone as I missed the February challenge deadline. This project seemed like a good idea at the time, as I deliberately choose a subject out of my comfort zone. Boy - was I uncomfortable! I thought I could whip this off in a couple of afternoons - Ha! My limited pen and ink skills came up against the reality of how to portray an essentially architectural subject. I can't do abstract or loosely defined anything, but I knew I must not get involved in showing every brick and mortar seam, but what to leave out and what to put in became a major stress. The result is a hodge-podge of learning as I went along until I'm heartily sick of the damned thing! Image size 6 1/12" x 10" on Arches 140lb hot pressed paper. Suggestions and comments always welcome of course

(A new addition "Writer's Blog" and my new book "Your Turn To Find The Hammer")
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2018, 05:32 PM
North East England.
Hails from England
Re: Village Alleyway

John, that's amazing! A lovely light touch and I can see the vast amount of work in this - I think it's super!
Do please post it in the challenge too - I'm letting it run as there are not many participants again!
Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2018, 02:05 PM

Yes I agree you are being much too hard on your self. there is merit in the piece , technically it looks fine .
I am not qualified to offer any meaningful critique as I don't really do architecture , it definitely takes a "certain" kind of artist & I'm not one of them

The whole subject matter seems to require too literal approach to me with little room for expression BUT then occasionally I'll see it done very well in P&I & be full of atmosphere & feeling - I have to admit to myself that it's me ! I just can't put my heart into it !

Last edited by pedlars pen : 03-02-2018 at 02:09 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2018, 03:55 PM

great work !
Artanzo website
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2018, 10:35 AM
Ontario, Canada
Hails from Canada

Thanks for dropping by everyone. In deliberately choosing a project I would not normally tackle, I learned a lot more about pen and ink and wash, with its limitations and possibilities. I would encourage other members to do the same once in a while. I've learned that pen and ink projects are demanding and need a different mindset from the start. I wasn't entirely happy with the finished result but realized I could only produce something at this point in time with the experience I had acquired. After painting mainly in watercolour and oils for over 30 years, a new medium is not easy to master at my advanced age of 91. I paint and do pen and ink as a hobby and not for sale, so I can afford to take a chance and risk inevitable failures or near misses. The challenge is trying, and once in a while I produce something in pen and ink I'm proud to mat and frame and hang somewhere.

Maureen: Thanks for your kind comments, and I must tell you how much I've learned from this site. I'm always amazed at the subject matter posted here.

Mike: You're bang on about architectural subjects limiting expression, but some of the examples posted here are amazing in their techniques and skill. Subject matter is always strictly personal of course, hence I have little interest in brand new corrugated steel barns and silos. Many moons ago in another life, I use to do black and white illustrations of houses from the builder's blueprints, but that was to pay the mortgage! Suburban cookie-cutter dwellings hold no charm for me, but an ageing, weatherbeaten farmhouse and outbuildings just suits my temperament.

Thanks, and welcome to the site.

Last edited by Watercolour lover : 03-03-2018 at 10:38 AM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2018, 09:58 AM
Lord of the Arts
Jacksonville, Florida

You nailed this one for sure.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2018, 08:16 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.
Hails from United States