WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2018, 04:09 AM
Lincolnshire countryside, UK

Hails from England
The Goalpost - March 2018 - feel free to join in!

As Robert's in a different time zone and I'm in GMT ...I thought I'd start this for him.

Welcome to the Goal Post. Goal setting is a very good tool to help people get organized. If you write or post your thoughts, you are more committed and have a better chance of reaching those goals.

Your goals can be short term or long term. They can be daily, weekly, monthly or annual goals. Goals are personal, so everybody's goals will be different. They are your goals, so you can do what ever you want.

Come join the regular gang and get encouragement to help you reach your goals. We have a very friendly group and we are always looking for new people to join us.

Feel free to share links or images of goals achieved or in progress, those are always fun and people like cheering them on.
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!)[b] Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
Moderator Pastels Getting started in Soft Pastels Uploading Images
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2018, 10:21 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
Re: The Goalpost - March 2018 - feel free to join in!

Been sick a lot last month, not much done... so...

Goal this month is to draw and paint more. I have my big week long medieval event to go to so I'll do a lot of medieval scribe stuff, calligraphy and pretty borders, but other than that, I just want to get rid of this cold and back to the daily art.

So I'll start small with try for once a week.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2018, 04:41 PM
Lord of the Arts
New England

Hails from United States

Thanks, for starting, Deirdre...
Rob...So sorry you are still 'under the weather'. Do hope you are feeling well soon!
I am still working with the Trinity Paintbox Workshops on Facebook. I actually have managed to do one quick little painting a day on my own, as well as the workshop exercises. My goal is to continue to do the little one-a-day things, as I have forgotten so much over the last couple of years that I have not been painting at all...

C&C always welcomed and appreciated
JudiB
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2018, 05:43 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
South East

Hails from England

Hi Deirdre, thanks for starting this thread.

Hello Robert and Judibelle, good goals and I hope you make good on them. One of my lads gave me a hand to erect the base boards for the model railway and complete the painting where I was height challenged.
I have lots to do this month so I don't know what I'll do first. Perhaps I should just list what needs doing and do those that I feel like doing. I have got an NCE power cab and two hand sets for the grand sons to have a play.

1.Sort stuff into categories.
2.Fix rail track to base boards so I can have a roundy-roundy try.
3. Make a phone call to get a 'short circuit protector' for the railway.
4. Start making some scenery for the model railway (I started a castle some time ago and it was awful, may take it apart and start again).
5.Get pins/screws to fix track down.
6.Paint the next miniature drawing in my sketch-book .
Look forward to seeing others forecasts even if not completed.
Jim.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2018, 10:58 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Ooh that sounds fun, Jim. Get photos when you do it. I always dreamed of painting backdrops and scenery for a model railroad. Might even do it someday years down the road now that they're doing my house - could make space for the really tiny N scale if I didn't get elaborate with it.

Judibelle, that sounds great. Looking forward to your daily paintings. Those do a lot for growth and skill. I look at what I'm doing now and it startles me, especially when I look back a couple years ago or earlier.

Did paint one small pen watercolor over two days, finished and posted it yesterday. So keeping up, crawling along. The cold still hasn't broken.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2018, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Love that there is a goals thread here! Iím newly returned to WC and canít remember if this was here the last time I was active.

Itís inspiring to see everyone elseís goals.

Robert, itís nice to see another calligrapher here. I love illuminated manuscripts. My best work is often in black letter and I love adding miniature paintings to fill in the piece. Hope to see some of your work this month, and feel better!

Judi, love your one a day goal!

Jim, I hope you get some time to work on your model railway scenery. Iíve always been fascinated by them.

Here are my goals for this month:

1. Find my miniature painting and enter it into a show.
2. Sort my new pastels and arrange them in my DIY pastel box insert for (gulp) plein air.
3. Practice some landscapes in oils and pastels to train for plein air
4. Finish the valentine chocolates mini paintings.
5. Try for another proper miniature painting this month.

Last edited by rain24 : 03-04-2018 at 01:00 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2018, 04:55 PM
South East

Hails from England

Hello again all.
@ Robert. Sorry to hear that the cold is still hanging about. SWMBO has the jab every year as her immune system is compromised by the MS. I avoid it like the plague and take bicarbonate of soda in water, that gets all things . I'ts as cheap as chips and has no side effects. As it is an alkali I do not take it within an hour before/after having consumed anything else.

N scale would have been my choice but do realize the limitations with my eyes as I get older. I always knew I'd get to this but it happened quicker than I thought (I pinched that from a siggy on the MRF ).

@Rain24. Welcome back and is your miniature on site at all? I'd appreciate a link if it is.

Photo's of the model rail? Ok will do, I have managed to source some small screws for the track but the not the pins yet. I might paint some 'bland' backdrops but warehouses etc I will buy - why? CICBA (cuz I can't be asked).
Jim.

Last edited by mij : 03-05-2018 at 04:58 PM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2018, 08:37 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Rain, that is so cool! Looking forward to seeing it when I get back. Yay for your plein air box. That's awesome! Would love to see your miniature.

Jim, never heard of that with bicarbonate of soda. I wind up trying to avoid it by staying warm and well fed and hydrated, used to take megadoses of vitamin C but that got debunked. Which is too bad because it worked really well for me on placebo. Been having a big patch of the chronic too. This year's bout isn't too bad compared to most years, I tend to get it annually. But it's still there sorta. It is on the way out.

Today, on the LAST possible day, finished my handout for the Blackletter class. And it is hideous. My hands were shaking from the chronic and the first pen I used was mushy, it just suffered. But my daughter pointed out reasonably that my worst day is still better than a lot of people's best and it's at least recognizable - it serves the purpose. I still suspect I'd have done better to get pages out of the book copied. Anyway, did not get the scan since I had to send it out to get printed at Staples. My son in law did get it copied so at least I have it.

There is at least something. Whew.

And it all feels way too soon, like I should have had another week to get ready. But we're leaving tonight and this'll be my last post till we get back. See you on the other end!

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2018, 01:38 AM
Washington state

Hails from United States

My goals for this month are pretty simple. Clean my studio/guest room before March 26! Some of you may be familiar with the Scottish pastel artist, Margaret Evans. She's written many books, and has lots of utube tutorials. Thanks to IAPS we met many years ago, and have become friends. She will be here for the third time to teach a workshop at Dakota Pastel Art in Mt Vernon, WA. The last two times she stayed overnight in my home, and then we drove on to Mt Vernon the next day. I jokingly called myself her driver/Sherpa, and we had a great time. By the end of the last workshop she told the class she was upgrading me to her assistant. I laughed fondly; Maggie needs no assistant! So - I need to clean up the room, and pull down "Maggie's" wall bed that's in there. Before we head to Mt Vernon, she will visit my pastel class, and the students a really looking forward to meeting her. If any of you are looking for a good tutorial book on pastels, her latest one is titled "Pastels Unleashed". I've lost track of how many languages it has been translated into; even Chinese!

Be well everyone! I've avoided the flu or a cold, but continue to fight my muscular/ skeletal issues.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2018, 02:12 PM
South East

Hails from England

Hi folks.
@Robert. I hope your event goes well.
Bicarbonate of Soda is one of the old mendicants we used before all the Pharmaceuticals came in after ww2. I am not a Dr so I can not advise anyone. I don't catch any sniffles/coughs/sneezes that seem to plague other peeps. As SWMBO is a regular at the surgery which is rife with peeps with these infections I take BoS as soon as I get home just in case. If I feel a cold coming on I take a heaped tea spoon full and stir it into a pint glass of water, between meals, three times a day for three days. Then two times a day for the fourth day and once a day for the fifth day. Usually the cold/flue/sneezes have gone when I awaken the very next morning after the first day. Although the symptoms have gone I persevere with the BoS. I used to use whiskey but it damages my insides so I'm told and it costs a bomb as well. It is also opposite in the pH scale as whiskey is an acid. Germs/bacteria seem to like an acidic environment, they are unable to live in an alkali environment. Our stomachs use strong acid to digest food, hence the 'not within an hour' of consuming anything, before/after.

Hi there PeggyB, nice to meet you. You have a very commendable set of goals. It must be lovely to speak with an artist on their medium. I like pastels as well and would join you all but the oceans divide us. I hope all goes well for you. I know how it feels to clean house as I care for SWMBO who has MS. No doubt this man is not so good as the ladies but who cares? I don't .
Jim.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2018, 01:01 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Peggy, wow, you are so lucky! I love Margaret Evans from her videos and books, she's one of my favorites. Getting to assist her teaching, have her stay in your house, it's a dream come true! Lucky lucky person!

Jim, not sure I could choke that down but thanks. Looking forward to train photos! I always dreamed of painting backdrops for a setup, doing big expansive landscapes in the super wide and maybe bent around things mode. I've seen some beautiful ones.

Went to Gulf Wars, camping nine days. The cold did clear up. Thankfully. Because weather went crazy with very cold nights again and drenching rain that came into the trailer and soaked my bedding. Series of mishaps: day one in the mud after the just got there rain, my power chair gave up and died. Battery compartment that could not be opened on site, something broke or shook loose. It's been pretty battered for years and this was when it really gave up.

So I walked with cane and got rides from the golf cart routes they put in to help the mobility impaired and twice rode up to Scribes Point on my horse Shadow, with Kitten leading. Hippatherapy works! Both times riding the horse I came off minus the back aches and some other pains of the bad night before and plus energy. It was awesome. I love my horse. Really bonded with him at the event.

But I made it through the very strenuous week despite all, and did find another after hours hangout that was warm and pleasant. So I did a total of three finished scroll projects during the week, which is awesome because most scribes would manage one in an entire week of solid work. I found myself as a miniaturist, the one that was 5 x 7" was a one long day project. Calligraphy on someone else's decorated letter I and narrow red dot border was another one but that was huge. Painting a preprint that had plenty of room for detailing in the paint job followed by doing all the calligraphy was the first one and also came out well. Plus, I taught my classes in the rain on Friday and was the only teacher who didn't cancel out on Friday in the Second Soggy Miserable Rain. At that point I folded up, having done about 36 hours or so in one week. Which for me is amazing. That's close to a 40 hour work week. Better weather and I'd have done 40 hours. Or more functional power chair.

I decided to replace the battery pack instead of just asking Kitten to fix the old one - if it's reclaimable it can be an emergency one to swap in like a spare tire. Pricy but it'll be factory new as when the chair was new plus for $30 more I can get extended range stronger batteries. Which I am sensibly doing. That will make next year's Gulf Wars a lot more fun and all the shorter events during the year easier too.

Will post photos when I get them resized and uploaded, have been so exhausted from trip that I haven't done so yet. But I did get photos of all the projects and did sign them too, so my name is getting out there. Master Conail turned the calligraphy after someone else's illumination one into a big project with research and upped the quality on it tremendously, so I stretched and learned during the big scribe jam too. He let me use his book and I worked from a giant color photo of one page in the Book of Lindisfarne instead of from a caligraphy book, with a hand (font) that I have only rarely used and always by copying from book. I thought it was just "use a big pen and do the one I've done since I was 12" but it took a long time working out the letters, some of which weren't exactly recognizable. In the end I had to invent one that wasn't represented on the page, but did so plausibly.

So, major artistic triumphs despite freezing, rain, exhaustion and general camping. Wish I could get in something like that kind of art time at home sometimes!

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2018, 02:43 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Finally posted the scrolls here! One pen and ink entry for a preprint competition (designs for others to paint and do calligraphy on), and three finished scrolls, two completed on others' work and one complete from beginning to end. A good week's work! Looking at the photos, I'd forgotten how well they came out!

That's my artish for today. This week I've been recuperating from the long hikes beyond what my body can do and the bitter cold nights and the cot racking my back beyond what the hikes did. I think next year I'm getting an extra pad for that cot.

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2018, 09:20 PM
South East

Hails from England

Well done Robert. I know that a hike like that would certainly take it's toll on SWMBO. She's not into horses either . Good calligraphy as well and very colourful. It takes me back quite a few years as we did it in art at school. We ranged from old Roman to Gothic and I also remember the name Copper Plate, it must be over 60 years now. There is a calligraphy fountain pen in my drawer some where (it has three different sized nibs) but I recall the old dip pens that had a large number of nibs. If I try reading some old manuscripts like Shakespeare wrote I get thrown easy as they wrote the letter 'S' as a letter 'f' or something .

I have done little on the model railway. I have made a start on sorting the stuff for the garage tools out but nothing else. This weekend we have a family get together for SWMBO's rellies. I am occupied on Thursday so tomorrow is the only day free for railway playing . Friday will be get ready day.... SWMBO likes to take her time (organizing me that is).
Jim.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2018, 11:27 PM
san diego, ca

Hails from United States

Peggy, Dakota Pastels is on my bucket list. Last year we were in Seattle, carless. So I didn't get to the store.
Good job, Robert. I have to hand it to you, hiking is strenuous. Do you use one or two hiking sticks?
Jim, you always seem busy. It's fortunate you have someone to keep you on track.
I finally reach my goal from a few months' back...I completed a painting.

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2018, 12:30 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

I use a cane when I walk anywhere, even a short distance. I used to have a walker but that broke some time ago and would have helped enormously when the power chair broke down. It's actually a "rollator" as all four feet have wheels and it has a seat with a carry bag under it - which puts the weight of anything I'm carrying into a small shopping cart, lets me take a lot of my weight on my arms, itself weighs very little - and the seat was solid enough I could stop and rest repeatedly. As well as have a good seat wherever I was going, since hard chairs like those metal folding chairs without arms are as hard on my back as standing.

Without that even there, I was up a creek using cane for walker distances and having to go electric distances to use the bathroom half the time. I'm still recovering from it. Haven't done anything artistic beyond posting the scrolls and wondering why I can't even manage daily drawing any more. Pain being the answer. I just don't feel up to it or have the emotional energy for it. Also a lot of my easy sketchy stuff is disorganized.

Small logistics can completely stop me if I'm having a hard time. Weather is getting really nice though. Some of these logistics are going to be solved and one up side is that next month I can and will replace the battery pack - with a better one that gives the power chair more distance and endurance. This will help with the little weekend events as much as the great big annual one and I don't have an event coming up in April, so hopefully new battery will be in my hands before May.

So I think I need to take it easy on goals and set the bar very low in April. If I add up the number of weeks and the number of scrolls I did, I averaged one a week and they were really awesome complex day-long works rather than 20 minute scribble swish sketches.

Karen, that is fantastic! Congratulations on your painting!

Jim, I actually like the horses, love love love my horse Shadow. I love having relatives who take care of them and do the hard part to let me sit up high on his back getting a weirdly effective back treatment and a form of exercise that actually lets me feel better afterward instead of racked up with pain. I rode a little too far on one of the event rides and was tired - but not that wrecked, as soon as I rested sitting still for a few hours I was fine and energized.

Copper Plate is the beautiful swishy fancy version of cursive with all the flourishes. I don't actually do that one but I like it. Never had a real occasion to. Do have decent cursive handwriting. I might try it for one of the late period scrolls just to see if I can do that. And I love fountain pens, collect them, have way too many ranging from cheap calligraphy ones to a couple of rather nice ones and dream of the sort that run several hundred to a thousand dollars, not that I'd have any of the rest of the stuff in my life that goes with that.

Heh that ought to be on my list of goals for April - clean my fountain pens and get them usable now that I have good water soluble ink!