WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2018, 12:07 AM
Lord of the Arts
McCook, NE

Hails from United States
Monthly Scumble March 2018

Welcome to a new Scumble! Hopefully Spring is right around the corner. I'm SOOO over Winter! Come chat with us!

Here's a link to last month's Scumble: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1441935

Christine Neidhofer
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2018, 03:58 AM
Lincolnshire countryside, UK

Hails from England
Re: Monthly Scumble March 2018

We actually have heavy snow in the UK...worst it's been for years! I know a lot of you will be totally used to it...but, as usual, we're unprepared!
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!)[b] Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
Moderator Pastels Getting started in Soft Pastels Uploading Images
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2018, 12:42 PM
Lord of the Arts
McCook, NE

Hails from United States

Been kind of nice here. The robins are back, so Spring can't be far away!

Christine Neidhofer
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2018, 05:51 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Washington state

Hails from United States

Our weather too has been crazy the last few weeks. Because of our mountains and valleys in the greater Puget Sound region of Washington state we have a lot of "micro-climates"; meaning it can snow like crazy in one area, and as little as a half mile over be raining. The weather forecasters around here have a tough job because people never know which one is going to be even close to right. Schools wait until the last minute to decide if they will open or close, and no one blames them for doing this. On Monday the school district where I teach a morning pastel class closed for the day so the art center did too. However, our school district was open!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2018, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Hello! I havenít posted in WC for a very long time. Like everyone else, Iím waiting for spring. We had a good bit of sunshine yesterday here in the Pacific Northwest, so my husband and I took a drive up towards the Cascade mountains. He was scouting for places to ride his bike and I was scouting for possible plein air locations.

Deirdre, I hope your snow doesnít linger too long. How is it today?

Christine, isnít it wonderful when the robins come back? On our drive yesterday I was admiring the snow geese and was wondering if they were migrating back up. Iím still learning about the birds that are new to us around here. Long-time Chicagoans arenít used to the habits of snow geese. LOL.

Peggy, we are still new to this area and I did notice how there are so many microclimates! Someone told me when we first moved here that there was also a convergence zone. I have to look that up.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2018, 10:27 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain24

Peggy, we are still new to this area and I did notice how there are so many microclimates! Someone told me when we first moved here that there was also a convergence zone. I have to look that up.

It takes awhile to get adjusted to our weather; took me about two years, and we've been here since December of 1979 - "forever"! I don't even bother to listen much to the weather forecasters anymore because as you pointed out there are too many variances in a small area. I can be talking to a friend that lives about 3 miles from my house; she will have snow, and I'll have sunshine (or vice versa). Convergent zone to put it simply is two prevailing air flows that interact (converge) resulting in distinctive weather conditions. Leading to clouds and precipitation. All it does for weather forecasters is make them sound educated; which of course they are. Viewers just listen to their interpretations.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2018, 01:45 PM
Lord of the Arts
McCook, NE

Hails from United States

I have a problem. I want to paint. I have three paintings in progress. But it seems that when I get about half way through a painting, I feel like I can't finish it. That I'm going to mess it up. That I just don't know how to finish it! Am I losing my mind? What would help?

Christine Neidhofer
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2018, 08:27 PM
san diego, ca

Hails from United States

It happens to all of us, I think. I have several started, but not finished.

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2018, 02:16 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Christine, that happens to me all the time. It drove me to work smaller and try to finish things in one session. Or to really push and keep the project in sight where I wolud go back to it. If I put it away I'll forget why I wanted to do it in the first place.

It's a problem of emotionally disengaging, derailing a deep complex process. I have to work my way back into it and sometimes that means going back to what made me want to do it in the first place. If it's important and has a due date I go to some lengths forcing myself - usually in the setup - the more investment of effort I put into setting up to work on it including studying references again, maybe sketching them again to sort out something, or mixing colors and testing them, that helps get me on track. I also think about it a lot while procrastinating and that solves problems with it.

I am back from my big nine day camping and medievalist trip, Gulf Wars. Got back on Monday but haven't been online much or done my photos yet - need to put them through the computer and resize them.

My power chair stopped working on Monday morning as I was going up to Scribes Point after the first seriously heavy cold rain. I got stuck in a puddle, my granddaughter the very strong farm girl was trying to shake it loose and something in the battery pack either shook loose or broke. We weren't able to charge it again. So I did the whole rest of the trip on foot with cane, on horse back a couple of mornings and in golf carts driven by the security folks for the event or by some golf cart routes set up to help the mobility impaired and elderly get around.

They had a really good system. I might have been all right with just that if I'd had my walker, which was a relief. Unfortunately on just the cane, I was walking a bit too far just to reach the porta potty every time, so I wound up seriously overexerting in a cumulative way. Despite this, I was the only teacher on Friday who didn't cancel their class, taught both my classes and did a private lesson and a pre-class discussion for four solid hours teaching. That was exhausting but kind of cool too.

I finished three major projects and some other work, planning others. Took some classes. Found a coffee house that I really liked at about the same distance as the porta potty and thus a warm indoor place to hang out in the evenings. So that was really a lot of fun and made up for absence of power chair. I think I found everything that was in reach this time, as opposed to last year charging the chair every day and using up that charge on potty trips and getting back up to the Point.

I saved up $500 above planned expenses and rent, which was awesome. Spent all of it. I have a walnut Savonarola chair on order, which I'm going to make a nice fancy brocade or velvet cushion for out of a recycled bed pillow. It's a wooden folding chair with a graceful design, very wide curved arms, flat seat in the middle, crossed legs, narrow slats scissor up after the back lifts off and flap lifts up. They were out of them by the time Kitten went out with my shopping list but, I got my choice of wood by ordering it and they'll ship it in April. Also replaced a shoulder bag for art supplies, a belt pouch, bought four new period shirts so now have a much better medieval wardrobe, all sorts of little stuff. It was fun. Every year I go to this big event, I'll come back with better stuff for the next one.

Oh, my air bed died the first night. It felt a little squashy when I got in but by morning I was laying mostly on flat boards. Ow ow. Fortunately horse riding helped repair that bit of back problem. Need to get some memory foam pad for the cot, which I switched to - and then got the massive rain, but its thin pad was at least waterproofed. Some logistic problems with it to solve too, about keeping pillows from sliding off the end.

Lots of Adventures and cold nights but nice days most of them. Did a lot of art and met new friends and connected with old friends, that was awesome. Had a good time at it despite obstacles and adventures. As always, making plans for next year so it'll go smoother!

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2018, 02:45 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Scrolls are posted here.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2018, 12:27 AM
Lord of the Arts
McCook, NE

Hails from United States

Here's a link to April's Scumble: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1445461

Christine Neidhofer