WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Color Theory and Mixing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2018, 10:42 AM
Enthusiast

color across screens

From a letter responding to a Feb 28 NYT article What Is the Perfect Color Worth? ( https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/28/m...pgtype=article )

"As an owner of a branding/design firm, I'm struck by the difficulty of achieving color uniformity in the digital environment. Every screen renders colors differently, so it's impossible to achieve a uniform chromatic expression of a brand..."

It's important to bear that in mind when contrasting/comparing hues, etc, working to achieve appropriate, or a much wanted color. What I see on MY computer is probably not what everybody else sees on theirs. Possibly a close approximation. (or not) My computer is a refurbished 2008 low cost one, screen, several years old.

Even though we're all "guessing", together we still help each other reach the goal.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2018, 10:58 AM
Enthusiast

Re: color across screens

There is a video called Richard Schmid Paints the Landscape White Pine, where he talks about his experience, and use of digital pictures for painting in his studio.

He basically says that after so many years painting plein air, he knows what colors are missing in his computer screen, and based on this experience, he can paint with more confidence.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntl
From a letter responding to a Feb 28 NYT article What Is the Perfect Color Worth? ( https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/28/m...pgtype=article )

"As an owner of a branding/design firm, I'm struck by the difficulty of achieving color uniformity in the digital environment. Every screen renders colors differently, so it's impossible to achieve a uniform chromatic expression of a brand..."

True, but how many people can actually tell the difference? I know I can't tell from one screen to the next. I suppose I might be able to if I could compare them simultaneously, but otherwise I don't see any difference.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2018, 08:59 PM
Enthusiast

I worked on a portrait and sent photos of my work and the subject to a friend for critique. My friend complained that the skin was too light, I needed to go much darker. I felt I was already too dark. It didn't occur to me at the time that he was not seeing what I did.
More recently a similar situation occurred in a landscape. He saw colors different from what I saw.
Interestingly, either he does not see them all the time, or just does not mention color/value differences.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2018, 01:13 AM
Enthusiast

I work directly from my monitor sometimes. I set the filter in windows or photoshop to cmyk. Then i do a white balace where i compare a white/brightly lit peice of paper to a white square on the monior. Turning the brightness up or down until theyre the same brightness.

Setting the filter to cmyk is what can actally be printed by a printer. This is so that you dont try to paint stuff that is out of gamut, ie impossible to paint.

Not sure if that is the best method but it works so far.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2018, 05:36 PM
Enthusiast
Monterey Bay area, California

My own laptop is color calibrated. However, it is an inexpensive technology with small gamut. Within its limited gamut, the colors I see under standard conditions are close to the real colors. But colors beyond the gamut can be very funky.

Most ordinary photographic scenes, especially those involving people, are within gamut. But most modern high-chroma pigments are far out of gamut. As far as I know, color accuracy is only considered important in the world of glossy magazine advertising, for such things as fashions and especially cosmetics.

Awhile back, I brought my quality digital camera to the San Francisco Legion of Honor art museum, and photographed a few of the paintings, also with a gray card for color reference. It turned out that just about everything to be seen in Medieval and Renaissance paintings is in-gamut for my computer screen.

But when you think about it... Look at how many artists post photos of their work here at WC, where the photo was taken with a phone. Color is far off (as well as perspective, due to tilt), but few seem to care.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2018, 05:55 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Brazil

The method Ellis described is the most reliable. It might be cumbersome but if you select well the paper colors you can get a reasonable result.

Unfortunately the monitor does not behave linearly between 2 colors and it is therefore impossible to have perfect match of all gamut from borders to center of the range.
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2018, 02:18 AM
Enthusiast

If you want to get the same colors across different screens there is way to do that with photoshop. Basically your monitor has a "color space" and your monitor is assigned a profile by the manufacturer. Or you can calibrate your monitor with a tool and it will create a more acurate profile. You can save your picture so that the profile of your monitor is saved with the file. And it will open with the same colors across different devices. It's called color management.

Then the limiting factor is the percentage of sRGB your monitor is capable of dispalying. If all your devices display sRGB at 100% they should all look the same.

Here is a link that can explain better than I.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/us...anagement.html

Last edited by Ellis Ammons : 03-29-2018 at 02:32 AM.