WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2018, 11:25 AM

Polychromos vs Luminance's color range

Hello !

I own the Polychromos 120 set and it's my main set, the one that I use the most. It's my absolute favorite set.
But Polychromos are really lacking in some colors as: pink, purple, turquoise and olive green for example.
I had the idea to complement my Polychromos set with open stock pencils from Caran d'Ache Pablo and Luminance.

I've already browsed the Pablo's color range and selected the unique colors from Pablo to complement my Polychromos set. I've selected around 30 colors which doesn't exist at all in Polychromos.

I want to do the same with Luminance.
I only want the colors which are unique and doesn't exist in Polychromos (and Pablo): what colors do you recommend ?

I've selected several colors already as I've purchased a few pencils.

001 White (this white is exceptionnal)
161 Light Blue
182 Cobalt Green
630 Ultramarine Violet
661 Light Cobalt Blue
821 Naples Ochre
862 Burnt Sienna 10%

Those colors doesn't exist in Polychromos and Pablo's sets.

PS: Sorry for my bad english. I am french .

Thank you for your help .
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2018, 12:47 PM
Enthusiast
A 38 sq.meter apartment in Hyvinkää

Hails from Finland
Re: Polychromos vs Luminance's color range

Hello and welcome!

Take a look at this color chart:

https://www.stepbystepart.co.uk/uplo...jpg?1519140090

Since you mentioned pink and purple, I'd recommend
Anthraquinoid pink 571,
Ultramarine pink 083 and
Manganese violet 112
(Faber-Castell's Manganese violet 160
is chemically something else -
besides Light magenta 119
it's one of the two non-lightfast Polychromos) ...

... and then
Yellow ochre 034,
Raw sienna 036 and
Brown ochre 037
because they are warmer than Polychromos ochres.

Genuine cobalt blue 662 and
Ice blue 185
might also be worth buying.

Heikki
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2018, 04:17 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleuvenn
Hello !

I own the Polychromos 120 set and it's my main set, the one that I use the most. It's my absolute favorite set.
But Polychromos are really lacking in some colors as: pink, purple, turquoise and olive green for example.
I had the idea to complement my Polychromos set with open stock pencils from Caran d'Ache Pablo and Luminance.

I've already browsed the Pablo's color range and selected the unique colors from Pablo to complement my Polychromos set. I've selected around 30 colors which doesn't exist at all in Polychromos.

I want to do the same with Luminance.
I only want the colors which are unique and doesn't exist in Polychromos (and Pablo): what colors do you recommend ?

I've selected several colors already as I've purchased a few pencils.

001 White (this white is exceptionnal)
161 Light Blue
182 Cobalt Green
630 Ultramarine Violet
661 Light Cobalt Blue
821 Naples Ochre
862 Burnt Sienna 10%

Those colors doesn't exist in Polychromos and Pablo's sets.

PS: Sorry for my bad english. I am french .

Thank you for your help .

Violets and olive green are the most fragile pigments against long sun exposure. While some of them do well in artificial tests (that overload on UVA A none of them do well on the long run when exposed to real sunlight. Some brands try to fix it with mix of pigments, others simply avoid those colors in their products.

Even on brands that focus on lightfast quality like luminance those are the colors that will fade the sooner.
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 06:04 PM

Thanks a lot both for your replies .

I know that lighfastness is an issue for some pigments but I use a lot my colored pencils in closed sketchbooks or I store my drawings so they're not exposed to light.

My initial thought was to collect the "unique" colors in the Luminance range: the ones that aren't exist in Polychromos and Pablo.
I live far away from shops with open stock Luminance pencils so it's difficult for me to have an idea of the real colors if I just look at the swatches on the screen of my computer .
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2018, 08:26 AM

From a begginer:

What is the main difference between Polychromos and Luminance and Plabo?
Do you prefer one to another?
I have Polychromos and Prismacolor, and I prefer much more the Polychromos because it's blends better than Prismacolour in the paper I'm using.
I would also like to try Pablo or Luminance to see how they are like. Do yoy have an opinion?

Also cheaper pencils with good quality? Would you advice any? Koh-i-noor are good?
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2018, 09:51 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega_biscoito
From a begginer:

What is the main difference between Polychromos and Luminance and Plabo?
Do you prefer one to another?
I have Polychromos and Prismacolor, and I prefer much more the Polychromos because it's blends better than Prismacolour in the paper I'm using.
I would also like to try Pablo or Luminance to see how they are like. Do yoy have an opinion?

Also cheaper pencils with good quality? Would you advice any? Koh-i-noor are good?

Koo I noor are good pencils. They have thinner cores than faber castel although, keep that in mind (so you spend them a bit faster).. I use them more than my polychromos. They are much easier to erase so you can use techniques like drawing with an eraser over them.

Their only downside on my opinion is that they have bad range of colors on the very dark blue and very dark reds. They simply do not have a dark indigo neither anything close to caput mortum red. Those colors I need to suplement from my polychromos.
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2018, 10:30 AM

Also have an opinion on Caran D'Ache?
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2018, 11:44 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega_biscoito
Also have an opinion on Caran D'Ache?

They are expensive as hell and my wallet do not like them because of that :P

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2018, 12:50 PM

Yes, but Polychromos also a bit expensive.