WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Sculpture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2018, 12:48 PM
Texas

Hails from United States
Petro Mantis aka Claim Jumper

"Petro Mantis (Petromutatus mantidae)"

The Petro Mantis (Petromutatus mantidae), also known as Pipeline Mantis, is one of the more exotic-looking members of the Petromutatus genus. The Petro Mantis was discovered in Mexico by Pemex employees inspecting an oil pipeline near Xalapa, Veracruz. It is considered an invasive pest species by oil companies because it damages pipelines and robs them of substantial product. For this reason, oil executives often refer to large swarms of this creature as "Claim Jumpers."

This mantis-like "petrosect," thought to be a mutated remnant species of the extinct praying mantis and/or grasshopper, uses its powerful claws--capable of clamping pressures up to 30,000 psi--to grasp onto and puncture pipelines up to 36 inches in diameter. It sucks oil through a long proboscis that also injects a highly corrosive substance similar to nitric acid. Mature specimens can reach lengths up to 9 feet and are capable of consuming as much as 12 barrels of oil per day (bopd).

Like most petromutants, the Petro Mantis has a robust metabolism and can also handle natural gas pipelines--even butanes, pentanes, and heptanes. Excess gases are flared through four rudimentary "spinestacks" along the creature's back.

This species is sometimes referred to as "Metallurgist's Nightmare" because it wreaks havoc on pipelines, and no exotic pipeline alloys have been developed by perplexed metallurgists that can withstand its powerful claws and the corrosive effects of its proboscis. These petromutants roost and nest around pipeline compressor stations. Their droppings are highly corrosive and cause damage to safety relief valves and compressors.

The Petro Mantis is common along the Texas-Mexico border, particularly in the Rio Grande Valley. It prefers a subtropical climate, but its range is rapidly expanding into the U.S., and substantial swarms have been reported as far north as Wichita, Kansas.
---------------

{No. 3 in my Mutagenesis--A Field Guide to the Petromutants of Texas series of hypothetical creatures of the future that thrive in oil-rich environments. My environmental spoof of the fossil fuel industry. Illustrated with one-off weathervanes sculpted in pure copper & silver.}
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2018, 09:46 AM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States
Re: Petro Mantis aka Claim Jumper

Very cool! Thanks for sharing!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2018, 12:43 PM

Very intriguing and a movie could be made around this as a main character. The detail is evident down to fine little swirls. How did you sculpt this with copper and silver? Did you cast a mold and cast it in copper and silver?

My website My Blog Join me on Facebook
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2018, 05:51 PM
Texas

Hails from United States

Thank you. It's made from hammered sheet copper, brazed with a silver alloy.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2018, 05:43 AM

I rapidly find myself becoming a HUGE fan of yours...

Everything, Everything I've seen of yours is awesome.