WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Clay
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2018, 08:28 PM
Oak Ridge, TN

Hails from United States
Small relief

I am somewhat reluctant to post as it has been decades since I did any work in clay. Lately though I have not been able to resist the urge so, I thought I would do a small relief piece to satisfy myself. My hope is to maybe eventually make a cope and drag casting of it in aluminum. I am using Plasticine clay and will probably make a plaster mold and then use that as a clay press mold to test the draft before the casting.

So, here goes... this is a couple hours in, still have a long way to go.

For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes Romans 1:16
My Blog

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2018, 08:39 PM
Oak Ridge, TN

Hails from United States
Re: Small relief

I just realized this post might be in the incorrect forum. If this is the case would an admin kindly move it? Thanks.
For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes Romans 1:16
My Blog

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2018, 01:24 PM
Oak Ridge, TN

Hails from United States

Another post of the work. Slowly trying to work in the details.

Here is the reference.

My Blog

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2018, 10:29 PM
Oak Ridge, TN

Hails from United States

A little more work.

My Blog

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2018, 12:43 PM
Enthusiast

Seems to me you are building a wonderful likeness, with great action! How big is your work?
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2018, 03:41 PM
Oak Ridge, TN

Hails from United States

ntl, thanks for the comment and question. The piece is about 13 inches by 9 inches.

I just poured the plaster to make a clay press mold. I am very nervous as it has been since the 90's that I last made a press mold.

Here is an image of the piece just prior to the final pass to remove any undercuts.

My Blog

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2018, 07:48 PM
Oak Ridge, TN

Hails from United States

So far the press molding pouring appears to have been successful. There were a couple of small undercuts at the shoelaces which I expected to occur. We will see sometime tomorrow (hopefully) if I will get a good pull from the mold.

My Blog

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2018, 09:27 PM
WC! Guide
Missouri, I'm still in Colorado in my heart

Hails from United States

Very cool and I like the playful look of this!

Dianna
WC! Guide: Fantasy/Sci-Fi Art

C and C always welcome.
My DeviantArt Gallery http://dianna-art.deviantart.com/gallery/
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2018, 11:41 PM
Enthusiast

OH! You must be very excited! It looks just perfect! Best wishes on going forward, but I don't think you lost your touch. (Did you?) How good does it feel to have accomplished this!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2018, 08:41 PM
Oak Ridge, TN

Hails from United States

Thanks talisman!

ntl I appreciate your comments, yes I am pretty excited it turned out. I was concerned that perhaps I was too out of practice but the fears seem to have been unfounded.

I will post the result of an actual clay piece using the mold as soon as I secure some clay.

Thanks to everyone who looked at the thread.
My Blog

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2018, 08:20 PM
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

Just saw your post. What a sweet young model and beautiful photo!!
Have you tried your first pull from the mould yet? Is it to be coloured? If so how? Will it be left as natural clay colouring? Where do you intend to display it....indoors or outdoors? Lovely idea.
'Don't worry about your originality. You couldn't get rid of it even if you wanted to. It will stick with you and show up for better or for worse in spite of all you or anyone else can do.' - Robert Henri
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2018, 10:20 PM
Administrator
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

This worked out beautifully. Well done!!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2018, 10:27 AM
Oak Ridge, TN

Hails from United States

Thanks for the comments.
ic.Art- I have not made a pull yet, been distracted by work. Hopefully I will be able to do so in the next couple days. I intend on doing several pulls just to distribute to the various family members that desire one. My hope is to make a few variations for myself. I plan on making a couple that are monochrome being whatever color the clay body is. But, I also want to do some glazing to attempt to match the photo. I was thinking of making a hanging plaque, maybe framing one in wood. But I also thought that mounting one to a piece of wood and affixing it to a keepsake box as an ornamental lid would be nice. We will see.

VMRS- Thank you very much!
My Blog

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2018, 12:23 PM
Oak Ridge, TN

Hails from United States

ic.Art inspired me to quit procrastinating... So here are two images taken of two pulls from the mold. These are straight out of the plaster, no touch ups, nothing. I am very pleased with the results. There will be much less repair to do than I had expected.
Have a great day all.

My Blog

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2018, 03:17 PM
Enthusiast

Very, very nice. How wonderful to get these results. How many copies can you make from your mold? What are these made of?
AND, what's your next project?

(Not meaning to steal your thunder---note)this reminds me, I have a piece, made probably something like yours. It's at least 70 years old, and used to hang on the wall in our kitchen when I was a child. It is a man's face. Small, wears a baker's hat, and has a hole between his lips. (sort of beat up a bit)
He is a string holder. I just googled it--1940's string holder--and there he is, except mine has a white hat! chalkware/plaster of paris there he is
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Str...-/323102435329 We called ours, Uncle Walter! I suppose because he reminded my Mother of her B-i-L! lol