WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Color Theory and Mixing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2018, 08:20 PM
Enthusiast

Shading yellow?

Trying to shade a yellow object. I cannot get the color right. all my mixes turn green when I add black or a Brown color if I add complementary color.

Has anyone had success with mixing yellow down so that the object stays yellow in the darker values? Maybe certain pigments or something?

Thanks
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2018, 09:02 PM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States
Re: Shading yellow?

If you look at a munsell yellow chart, they lose a "true" yellow quickly and shades do look either green or brown.
I like to use a warm raw umber for shading yellows.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2018, 09:40 PM
Enthusiast

Yep, thanks Sid.

I got the ole color picker out and the lighted side shaded brown and the shadows are green. I try not to use it. But I was wasting too much paint.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2018, 05:17 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Brazil

That because for our EYES that have more receptors in the green range (and none at yellow) when yellow darkens the predominant sensor input will be on our green sensors. So darkened yellow will look greenish for human eyes.

Are you trying to mix the color on palette or by layering? If by layering then it is a bit easier to darken yellow by using a grayish purple under it. By palette mixing I cannot help, I am terrible at that :P
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2018, 08:09 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Ammons
Trying to shade a yellow object. I cannot get the color right. all my mixes turn green when I add black or a Brown color if I add complementary color.

Has anyone had success with mixing yellow down so that the object stays yellow in the darker values? Maybe certain pigments or something?

Thanks

Use the general rule to create a shadow. You need a deeper yellow, or the one you originally used without modification. Add a tiny amount of blue, and a tiny amount of red and work from there. If the mix turns green, you are using too much blue, you can also add Burnt Umber to the mix, always in small quantities to control the outcome.

Now, if you still can't get it right, try using other blues, French Ultramarine
Cobalt Blue, etc.

If all of the above fail, allow the object to dry and prepare the following glaze, but don't apply it till you have done a couple of tests on a piece of canvas:

Mix Cobalt blue + Burnt Umber + Permanent Alizarin Crimson. To this mix, add medium till you make it slightly transparent, there you have a glaze you can then try on a piece of canvas, if you are satisfied, you can then shade your object. Liquin Fine detail is ok as medium, I normally use Amber Painting medium though (which retains the pigments body).

Black is not suitable for shadows.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2018, 02:28 PM
Lord of the Arts
Winston-Salem, NC

Hails from United States

I used burnt umber to shade this yellow bell pepper (watercolor).

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2018, 04:14 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice all. And that is a very nice pepper Richard.

The object was actually unpainted ceramic, kinda the color of concrete. So it is very dull.
Hard to shade due to several reasons. Acrylics darken when they dry so everything was shifting greener. The light I was using is yellow and making things appear greener. The underpainting is black so that was causing it to turn even more green after applying it. And then that thing where humans see dark yellow as green. I was seeing green everywhere.

After 3 attempts I finally got the color close. Which Iveordered a new light which I can try tomorrow.

Last edited by Ellis Ammons : 02-26-2018 at 04:19 PM.