WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2018, 11:39 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Southern Delaware

Hails from United States
Rank your mediums.

It this point I've test driven most mediums. I'm Interested to see what you think are the pros and cons of the various mediums. I ranked my choices from most to least

difficult in terms of being able to achieve what I set out to produce. I m not criticizing any medium. I wish I could use them all.

Pen and Ink: The realism possible with pen and ink to me is pure wizardry. I might as well try to levitate.
Pastels: Mine have always turned into brown dust. I've had more luck on toned paper.
Scratchboard : Like pen and ink in reverse. I can't compete with the experts. It was well worth the attempts however. Some of the scratchboard techniques work great with other mediums.
Watercolor: I always ruin the paper and/or inevitable disturb the lower washes. Also they dry lighter than intended.
Graphite: I usually press too hard and scar the paper or fill up the tooth too quickly. Time consuming.
Colored Pencil: Takes forever. I prefer cp when applied over ink washes.
Ink markers: Great with solvents. More workable than one might think.
Ink and Wash: A lot like watercolor but it stays put where it dries and it doesn't dry much lighter than when applied.
Oil. Instant headaches/ nausea. Those oily rags can just explode for no reason if not stored properly. Easier to use with dedicated studio space and ventilation.
Oil Pastels/oil sticks: Very direct. Sadly the ops don't really dry.
Acrylics: Super versatile The perfect medium if you can keep them from looking plastic. Less respected by gallery owners than oil or watercolor.

What are your experiences?

☮✞AΩ☼ http://www.christophervasil.com
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2018, 11:53 AM

Re: Rank your mediums.

1. Pen and ink. Everything for me begins with line and hatching.
2. Watercolor. I use it mostly in conjunction with drawings, but I occasionally will just use it to paint.
3. Colored pencil. My first love and I have been bringing them back, mostly as drawing tools as I don't love how time consuming it is to layer, burnish, etc.
4. Graphite. Sometimes I feel like using it, usually if I just want to work slowly. I also just love wooden pencils and sometimes I'll invent reasons to use them just because they smell good and I love holding them
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2018, 01:36 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

Oils are by far the winner for me - they feel good, smell good, move and blend marvellously and the color choices/mixes are phenomenal.

i've tried Everything else, repeatedly, and they've all left me unenthused/unsatisfied. i haven't purged those supplies tho, haven't given up all hope for them because they do have occasional uses, especially with abstract work.

i've recently added encaustic to my adventures and it's brought fun new challenges/twists/dimensions.

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2018, 02:20 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Greece

Pen and Ink. I used to worked with them now not that often as I like colour on my paintings. I occasionally work with pen and wash.

Oils. It is not that you can't achieve great results with oils it is that you need a rather large studio to work with them, a place to let the finished paintings dry ( without having the cat rub on their surface) a place to store the framed canvasses, a well ventilated area in order to varnish them.. they need spaaaaceeee....and they are expensive unless you made them yourself from raw pigments.

Acrylics. The messier of all mediums IMO with results that don't look neither like oils nor like watercolours, they dry so fast that you don't have even the time to think what you want to paint, difficult to maintain wet between painting sessions, they destroy your brushes and generally have all the characteristics that I could ever dislike in a medium.

Gouache. Great for illustrations, I have worked a lot with gouache and casein too in the past but I"m not that font of their opaque results anymore.

Graphite pencils
. I have draw whatever you can imagine with them, from architectural and engineering drawings, to sketches, preliminary drawings, all about everything from the days that I was in high school till now. I still adore this medium.

Colour pencils
. I abandoned them when I was 25 y.o.

Charcoal Messy and the sound of charcoal scratching on the paper freaks me out

Pastels I abandoned them because I became allergic to their dust.I have though some paintings made with pastels somewhere lost in some folders..

Markers. I used to make illustrations with markers. I abandoned them because I became - what else -allergic to their odor. You can't paint while you are sneezing uncontrollably! (FYI it needs only one allergic reaction to become sensitive to a medium. Just one and then you have it for the rest of your life. There is no salvation... )

Watercolours.
My favorite medium. Odorless, dust free, chemicals free, doesn't need a huge studio and dedicated space for paintings to dry or to be varnished etc, you can paint with them as much transparent or opaque as you like, and you don't have to wait them ages to dry in order to varnish them. Easy to store, light weight to ship with more affordable materials than other mediums.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2018, 02:23 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Oils at the top, followed by graphite, then acrylic, scratchboard, colored pencil and lastly pastels. There was a time that I preferred acrylics to oils but I am fickle and I switch back and forth.

You never realize what you have until it is gone. Toilet paper is a good example.
My work on Facebook
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2018, 04:22 PM
Oregon City

Hails from United States

Thoughts from a newbie - for what it's worth,

Basic pencil is what I have the most experience with, and as such still my favorite. Long way from competent though.

Colored Pencil I have used a couple times, not my favorite way to add color but workable. Break to easy.

Pen and Ink or in my case just pen is amazing to look at and a medium I plan to explore more.

Watercolor is my paint of choice so far, but I still have a hard time making my picture look like watercolor, just can't seem to mentally cut loose and let it do it's thing. I like the simplicity of just needing water for clean up.

Oil Pastel I tried on one picture, didn't like using them at all.

I have some beginner oil paints and acrylic paints, but have not used them yet. Not even sure where to begin with the oil, and I hear acrylic dries to fast.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2018, 05:53 PM
A Local Legend
Costa Rica

Hails from Costa Rica

I like Acrylics best because they are quick drying and perfect for Abstract works.

Pastels are great but I have to wear a mask when I use them and it kinda takes the fun out of it for me.

I like oils, but they are strong smelling which is not great for me, and on top of that your brushes need a lot of cleaning afterward which I haven't got the patience for.

"Life is far too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2018, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member

From 6 - 18 it was crayons and pencils and charcoal. And sometimes silly putty and play dough and paint by numbers. From 18 - 25 (in and around art school) there was pottery, printmaking, pen and ink, gouache, pastels, watercolors and acrylics. When I began painting “for reals” at 27, it’s been oils.

And only oils ever since. #1
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2018, 07:23 AM
Enthusiast
Ottawa Ontario

Hails from Canada

My number one is oil, using a fast dry medium. I don't paint more than 6 pieces a year right now, so storage isn't much of an issue.

Number two is acrylic. Nice, fast and loose when I want a break from oil.

Rediscovering watercolour as number 3. Now that I know I can mount them on board and varnish them I am starting to enjoy them again.

At school I love using chalk pastel with my students. Great for picking out shapes in the spirit of Lawren Harris work. The students love it!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2018, 06:31 PM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

1) Oil
2) Watercolor
3) Gauche
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2018, 06:05 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Burnley, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

1) Oil.

That is all.

Dave's Website.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2018, 08:34 PM
Lord of the Arts
L.I., New York

Hails from United States

Well seeing as one of my recent paintings had acrylic, watercolor and oil.....I don't know. I am equally confused by them all. Currently finding the oil confusion most inteteresting.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2018, 08:51 PM
Immortalized

Hails from United States

I like the cleanest of watercolors and they don’t smell, oils are beautiful but they stink and are messy . Acrylics I use mostly for crafts .
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2018, 09:37 PM
Lord of the Arts
L.I., New York

Hails from United States

M Graham walnut based oils don't smell. I just got them for that reason and it's true. No linseed oil smell. And Gamsol are truly oderless spirits.

The only thing that smells a little is the alkyd medium for faster drying, but you don't really need it.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2018, 08:15 AM
A WC! Legend

1) I've been using acrylics mostly for painting lately....love the versatility, both for plein air and at home.

2) Pencil and pen and a pad of paper are least obtrusive for drawing during meetings (pen is quieter than pencil). I love that I can draw anywhere with just a mini notebook in my purse.

3) Watercolor for the cool effects (and less messy if painting at someone else's house or in a hotel or while visiting at the hospital or nursing home...)

4) Gouache for teaching children, and because it is a bit like oils, just powdery

5) Oils for the wonderful effects and slow drying possibilities...but only if there is a studio (like an art class)...not as feasible for me in my apartment.

6) Digital...all I need is a computer.