WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2018, 07:00 PM

Hails from United States
Are local art guilds a thing of the past?

Years ago I was involved in my local guild plus a couple other guilds in neighboring towns. Now I can't find anything online about guilds. It's as if they never existed at all.

Do artists still have guilds (aka league/association/coop) where they can come together for meetings and to exhibit work?

Does anyone know of a place online where someone has posted a directory of local guilds from around the country?

Thanks in advance.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2018, 07:34 PM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States
Re: Are local art guilds a thing of the past?

There are sure co-op galleries in existence. There are a number in my area. If you google "co-op galleries," you should get a bunch of hits.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2018, 10:03 PM
A Local Legend
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States

Of course. Google art societies.

One of many sources: http://www.makart.com/artlink/stwcs.html

sling paint,
Virgil
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2018, 10:10 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
The Land of Enchantment

Hails from United States

We have a guild/society in this town, and I have also belonged to co-ops. Often what I have found is that co-ops start with a group of like minded artists who wish to show, and are willing to maintain their own gallery space.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2018, 11:53 AM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Start one!

I found one 10 or 15 years ago near me, it is now defunct, which doesn't surprise me. It was started in the 1950s and they really weren't very welcoming to new members. I tried to "break in" and am very outgoing, but after six months of sitting by myself and standing around alone afterward, I gave up.

My last interaction was an exhibit through it. The old guard made fun of me, I showed some animal paintings and they mocked them in my hearing and said they would never "sell out" like I did and paint pet portraits.

I found a new one recently and it seems great, will be attending soon.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2018, 07:28 PM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

Geez, what a nasty bunch of people. I'm glad you found a better place.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2018, 01:33 AM
Immortalized
Ventura, California

Hails from United States

I Robin. I understand. I am trying to get chummy with my local artists and they want nothing to do with me. They have their clique and it is closed. So I am just going to have to succeed without without them. I am glad you are being successful with your pet portraits!

http://www.carolynspaintblog.blogspot.com/
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2018, 08:22 AM
The Land of Enchantment

Hails from United States

Another option is to join a regional or national association of artists. You join as an associate member first, and then can enter in regional, or national art shows and competitions. These shows go on your CV. The more shows you enter, the more seriously you are taken as an artist. There are all kinds of associations. I am planning to try to get into the society of animal artists, or the association of animal artists (uk organization). There are also organizations like watercolor societies, pastel societies, (subject or medium based organizations) either regional, in some cases, statewide, national, or international. These societies definitely help your career, and some can be difficult to get into because they are juried.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2018, 02:02 PM
Enthusiast

If you are speaking of the "guild" in the truest sense of craftsman training with an apprentice, journeyman and master progression, they may be few and far apart. But there are several artists guilds from a camaraderie and exhibiting point of view. I would go online for your area and search artist guilds and coops.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2018, 07:01 PM
The Land of Enchantment

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbymdp
If you are speaking of the "guild" in the truest sense of craftsman training with an apprentice, journeyman and master progression, they may be few and far apart. But there are several artists guilds from a camaraderie and exhibiting point of view. I would go online for your area and search artist guilds and coops.

I think that the definition has expanded somewhat since medieval days. I consider a "guild" like a co-op, but perhaps people of different skill levels-- similar to apprentice/journeyman/master. So it is you can both learn, mentor, and show in divisions (beginner, master).

In fact the regional art leagues or associations I spoke of (like the Society of Animal Artists) generally have membership levels with "student" or associate memberships where you do not need to have many skills, or you may just have an interests, and then some kind of a "regular" member where you are allowed to show at yearly exhibitions, and then "juried" members who are top of the line "masters" who have been juried into the organization.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2018, 07:57 AM

Hails from Germany

Quote:

We have quite a few in our area. This inclued the usually co-op galleries, one as and example was created 1977 and has a gallery at a dutch windmill (smock mill). Another is more like a guild and was I think created through some classes at a community college and then there is a art society founded 1820 that runs our local state museum and runs conferences.

On top of it we have in Germany an Association of Visual Artist (BBK) the have in the region a local group that does co-op exhibitions.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2018, 07:49 PM

Hails from United States

I don't want to post nine separate replies so I will put it all here. (there's no like button for me to let you know I saw your posts, but I hope everyone sees this)

Harold, Virgil, artbymd... yes I have searched online extensively, prior to starting this thread. That's the reason I started this thread, because nothing shows up online. But I will continue to search. Thanks for the input.

Robyn, that is an unfortunate experience. I had a similar one in the guild here. (the now defunct one). I thought about starting one but I don't know if I want to take that on. I am already so overextended I can hardly find time to paint now. :/ (but I will consider it. Thanks!)

cjorgensen, I plan on doing the same thing. One way or the other, I will find a path. It's just murky now because I can't 'see' which steps to take. The internet is a great resource and I plan to use it to the maximum, but I also want to real world exposure on the brick-and-mortar end. Thanks.

usehername, Yes I have already done that. I was accepted into OPA last month. I'm doing their Spring Showcase, and hopefully my exposure with them will build from there. I am very interested in online/national memberships, and am pursuing such, but I was also hoping to find some local camaraderie. I will continue to hold out, and keep digging.

That sounds great zardoz. I wish I had that kind of action in my area!

Thanks to all of you whom responded here. Until next time...

---sowegapainter

Last edited by SowegaPainter : 02-25-2018 at 07:51 PM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2018, 08:47 PM
Enthusiast

I am not familiar with Georgia. I found listings for the following "guilds". Georgia Coastal Artist Guild, Columbus Georgia Artist Guild, Madison Artist Guild, Southern Appalachian Artist Guild, Art Center in Blue Ridge Georgia, Georgia Chalk-Artists Guild, Alpha Artist Guild, Artist Guild of Columbia County, Fall Line Artist Guild, Creative Arts Guild of Dalton, Carrollton Artist Guild, Visual Arts Guild of Athens. Hope this helps.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2018, 06:01 PM

Hails from United States

Quote:
I am not familiar with Georgia. I found listings for the following "guilds". Georgia Coastal Artist Guild, Columbus Georgia Artist Guild, Madison Artist Guild, Southern Appalachian Artist Guild, Art Center in Blue Ridge Georgia, Georgia Chalk-Artists Guild, Alpha Artist Guild, Artist Guild of Columbia County, Fall Line Artist Guild, Creative Arts Guild of Dalton, Carrollton Artist Guild, Visual Arts Guild of Athens. Hope this helps.
Thanks for taking the time to dig that up. Yes I'm considering all of those but none of them are in my close vicinity. I appreciate the input.

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2018, 10:23 AM

Hails from Canada

Find a local art exhibit and look for artists who have work similar to yours and ask if they'd like to get together. It can be for a coffee and a talk once a month and you can decide what to do from there. Many hands make light work and you will not have to be overwhelmed by the logistics if you keep it simple at first. Put up some notices in the local art shops and you're on your way. It will take some looking to find the first one or two people you can mesh with, but after that you may be surprised how easy it is to form a group for support and grow from there.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KeepsakesArtStudio/