WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2018, 02:46 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada
Hate Abstract Painting Maybe Not

I have never liked abstract art. I also thought there was no thought that went into abstract painting. I did not see why anyone would want to pay money for an abstract painting.

Calm down all you abstract artists who are ready to yell at me, I have had a revelation.

I was watching the Big Painting Challenge on BBC. There is an abstract artist named Jennifer. I wasn't too impressed with Jennifer in the first couple of challenges. No surprise there, I don' t like abstract art. Yet in 2 later episodes where she captured the ballet dancers in movement and also her rendition of the elephant in the drawing animals episode, wow, I was impressed. I have yet not watched the final episode on YouTube yet so please don't tell me who has won.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2018, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member

Re: Hate Abstract Painting Maybe Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestrokeartist
... I wasn't too impressed with Jennifer in the first couple of challenges. No surprise there, I don' t like abstract art. Yet in 2 later episodes where she captured the ballet dancers in movement and also her rendition of the elephant in the drawing animals episode, wow, I was impressed.
Haven't seen the show so can't comment directly BUT - when you say "she captured the ballet dancers..." and "rendition of the elephant" - that implies figurative or representational art.

"abstract art definition. A trend in painting and sculpture in the twentieth century.... explores the relationships of forms and colors, whereas more traditional art represents the world in recognizable images."

Figurative work can have an abundance of abstract elements but at the core there is a recognizable image. Abstract work there is no reference to real objects.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2018, 06:17 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBongolian
Haven't seen the show so can't comment directly BUT - when you say "she captured the ballet dancers..." and "rendition of the elephant" - that implies figurative or representational art.

"abstract art definition. A trend in painting and sculpture in the twentieth century.... explores the relationships of forms and colors, whereas more traditional art represents the world in recognizable images."

Figurative work can have an abundance of abstract elements but at the core there is a recognizable image. Abstract work there is no reference to real objects.

Oh, so it's figurative work that I'm loving, oh, heck does that mean I still dislike abstract art, damn....
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2018, 11:30 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
La tierra del encanto

Hails from United States

Quote:
Oh, so it's figurative work that I'm loving, oh, heck does that mean I still dislike abstract art, damn....

There are so many philosophies and approaches to art that it is not really one thing or another. Value judgments aside. Strangely I am an animal (realism) artist, and all the paintings on my walls are abstract. Like ambient music, I like how they do not interfere with your life as much as pictorial art. It is like trying to work with background music that is filled with voices, as opposed to working with just tonal or sound music.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2018, 03:02 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

Quote:

sounds like you prefer representational abstract - abs that have some level of hint of a reality, a recognizable something to ground your visual experience. nothing wrong with that.

hate is such a strong word, but it is what it is - true abstract is not for everyone ... nor is primitive style, nor bob ross or kinkade or picasso or so many others.

true abstract is probably the most 'out of the box' style tho, and maybe the least understood - how to explain the unexplainable, ha, good luck wi' dat vastness.

i'd bet tho, that anyone who keeps looking at abs, the extremely vast array of pure abstract, will find some color/shape/comp combination that appeals to them.

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2018, 07:40 AM

Hails from Netherlands

Well, ya like what ya like and dislike what ya don't, I guess. Abstract in visual art is just a term to explain what is -in broat terms- basically the opposite of figurative.

An abstract visual piece doesn't show anything found in the physical world (like people, animals,objects, etc); instead -usually- being a visualisation of an idea, a thought, a feeling, an atmosphere, etc.

It's not so black and white, though; as many abstract visual works also feature figurative elements; like the ballet dancer you described earlier. Usually works or elements like this are described as 'abstracted'; they show something figurative, but not neccesarily with the intention to show it as it is physically. One's intent might be to convey an emotion or feeling connected to the figurative element for example.

And then there's the broad spectrum of abstraction between the purely figurative and purely abstract, with movements such as surrealism, dadaism, De Stijl, etc etc.

All min all, it's absolutely fine to like what you like and dislike what you don't, though.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2018, 08:49 PM
Immortalized

Hails from United States

Abstraction is a person, place, or thing, thought of in the abstract…

Last edited by JohnEmmett : 02-23-2018 at 09:00 PM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2018, 08:56 PM
Immortalized

Hails from United States

Dragon by John Emmett
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2018, 05:34 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Nice one John......as always.
Perhaps it is Non-Objective Art/painting that is hated? There are big differences in the styles.
Tons of Non-objective works came out of the New York School of abstract expressionism.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2018, 09:38 PM

I think often abstract art is an acquired taste.
The more you expose yourself to good abstract art, it grows on you
and you develop a sensitivity and a different type of seeing with certain abstract painters.

I still don't get anything from Jackson Pollock and many other abstract artists, but abstracts like the Dragon by John Emmet above can send chills up my spine, and I want to spend a long time venturing into it where words just don't go.....

Last edited by chamisa : 02-26-2018 at 09:41 PM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2018, 04:54 PM
Lord of the Arts
Asheville NC

Hails from United States

Quote:
I have never liked abstract art. I also thought there was no thought that went into abstract painting. I did not see why anyone would want to pay money for an abstract painting.

I'm made to wonder what museums and very high end art galleries you've had access to. Abstract art, like anything else, can be good or bad. But the very best museums in the world, the ones that are world class, have examples of the best level of abstract art you're going to see. I've been able to see works in museums and high end galleries in NYC, Washington D.C., London, and Paris. In particular I got to spend an awful lot of time at the Tate, when we lived over there for 1+ year. I would think, if you've had exposure to the best of the best and you are still not moved, then indeed you don't like it. You could at that point contemplate the wheres and the whyfores, if you cared.

If on the other hand, you've been primarily viewing second rate abstract work your whole life, please go out and look at some first rate work before passing judgment.

Having said the above, there is obvious charlatanism in the Art world. Being in a museum isn't an automatic endorsement of quality. It is, generally speaking, an endorsement of historical importance within the fads of Art History. Just because it's abstract and in a museum doesn't make it any good. It may be, it may not be. I generally try to decide whether the artist was trying to "get somewhere" or "do something notable", or if he / she was just interested in grandstanding and pulling the wool over everyone's eyes.

Last edited by bvanevery : 02-27-2018 at 04:59 PM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2018, 04:15 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanevery
I'm made to wonder what museums and very high end art galleries you've had access to. Abstract art, like anything else, can be good or bad. But the very best museums in the world, the ones that are world class, have examples of the best level of abstract art you're going to see. I've been able to see works in museums and high end galleries in NYC, Washington D.C., London, and Paris. In particular I got to spend an awful lot of time at the Tate, when we lived over there for 1+ year. I would think, if you've had exposure to the best of the best and you are still not moved, then indeed you don't like it. You could at that point contemplate the wheres and the whyfores, if you cared.

If on the other hand, you've been primarily viewing second rate abstract work your whole life, please go out and look at some first rate work before passing judgment.

Having said the above, there is obvious charlatanism in the Art world. Being in a museum isn't an automatic endorsement of quality. It is, generally speaking, an endorsement of historical importance within the fads of Art History. Just because it's abstract and in a museum doesn't make it any good. It may be, it may not be. I generally try to decide whether the artist was trying to "get somewhere" or "do something notable", or if he / she was just interested in grandstanding and pulling the wool over everyone's eyes.

Actually hate is a strong word, I should not have used it. I should have said it is not really my cup of tea. And I have not been lucky enough to visit high end art museums. However, this is an abstract which I do love by Georgia O'Keefe in the link below. Yet I don't know why it is called an abstract, because I do recognise what it is, a flower, an iris.
https://learnodo-newtonic.com/famous-abstract-artists

Last edited by onestrokeartist : 03-16-2018 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Additional Info.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2018, 12:26 PM
On my den 🐺

Hails from United States

As a child, I disliked still life art because so monotonous. Should one of my art teachers lecture it on a livelier manner, I could feel more interest on it. Still life art is now my main choice when it is about practicing fundamentals and elements of art. Not to mention that it gives me a calm confidence when I want to test some new art supplies. Coupled with figure drawings, I build a foundation which direction to take from there. As can be see, I use them as warm-up exercises too before create something.

I apologize if I went a bit off-topic. I thought is the only way I could tell how something I disliked as child, became part of my drawing ritual. On your side, you build your own perception about abstract art from your experience. Your post invited me to share my experience because I am into abstract art, but I disliked still life art as child.

We can share our tastes or dislikes, friendly welcoming everyone’s thought to understand their choice.

Last edited by rafaartstudio : 04-02-2018 at 12:31 PM.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2018, 10:31 AM
A WC! Legend
Lenexa, Kansas, USA

Hails from United States

"Abstract" is often used, when "non-representational" is what is meant.

All art is abstract--but, clearly, some is more abstract than others...
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2018, 10:50 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
La tierra del encanto

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Russell
"Abstract" is often used, when "non-representational" is what is meant.

All art is abstract--but, clearly, some is more abstract than others...

Whole conversations can get off the rails if you don't first define your terms. Yeah?

Art, like writing, is a symbol-of-a-symbol, and some is a symbol-of-a-symbol-of-a-symbol. More realistic art is less symbol, and abstract art is more symbol.

A mime takes a bath on a New York street.
An empty gallery with a pile of bricks in the center.
None of it will fit on the wall above your couch.
What is art?

--Not a haiku.