WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Photography > The Darkroom
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2018, 01:02 PM
Sterling Heights, Michigan

Hails from United States
Monster Trucks, AMI Style

Monster Trucks, Anna Maria Island style.

Betweem 8 and 9 a.m. I was on the beach taking photos of Monster Trucks jumping sand mogels outside of our beach house.

NOT REALLY.

For my next photo club's meeting we were given the challenge of LEVITATION. I had been thinking about this for some time and since the only person I have to levitate is myself, I decided levitating a truck would be easier. Yes, a truck. Luckily, previous renters here at the Tree House left behind some toys and one of them was a truck which I used to create this levitation effect.

And here is how it was done.
I first set my tripod in front of the mound that my truck was going to jump.

Then I added the truck that I had positioned as you see it using a stem from sea grass that I found on the beach. I wanted a solid blue background for the truck so it looked airborne.

I finally added a toy car that didn't have a smooth landing on the right. I took a shot of this along with the truck in a different position but decided to erase this truck but keep the car.

After applying levels and curves to all three, I layered them. All I had to do was MASK out the rod holding up the truck I used and the truck I did not use. I combined all three layers, cropped for a closer look, leveled the horizon and added a slight vignetter.

C& C's are appreciated.
LORELL
Nikon D5100, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Tamron 16-300mm lens, Tamron 90mm Macro lens

Last edited by Luv2shoot : 02-12-2018 at 06:39 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2018, 08:34 AM
A Local Legend
eastern coast

Hails from United States
Re: Monster Trucks, AMI Style

Great job, Lorell! That is exactly how I did my neice in the "Levitation" thread I added a while ago in September, I think. First I set up the camera/tripod and scene, then without moving the camera, took a shot without my neice, then with her sitting in a chair. All you had to do was layer her over the first image and erase the chair to show the image beneath without the chair and that's about it! Easy peasy!! Well, I did have to add shadows..... Love your truck! At this distance, it does look real!! THANKS for adding your explanation and follow thru images!! PS: Does your camera have a sensor cleaning feature? Those dark spots in the sky are bits of dirt on the sensor. On one of my older cameras, I had to buy special fluid and swabs and do it manually, which always scared me, but the newer cameras have a sensor cleaning feature. Sue was always pointing out dirt on our sensors......I remember that!!

Last edited by Dreamin : 02-13-2018 at 08:36 AM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2018, 10:04 AM
A WC! Legend
Huntington Beach, CA

Hails from United States

Very well-conceived, and executed even better!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2018, 03:47 PM
A Local Legend
Gulf Islands BC

Hails from Canada

Very nicely done Lorell!

Nikon D300 Nikon and Sigma lenses - PShop CS5
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2018, 06:59 PM

Hails from United States

Thanks Dave and Carol. I appreciate you stopping in and posting your reactions.

Natalie, you have such a good eye. I never noticed the dots in the "final" creation. Those are birds flying in a distance. They will be easy to get rid of. Thanks for the kind remarks and examining the details. My husband thinks that I should remove the yellow car on the right. He thinks the truck without the yellow car looks more realistic because the little yellow car looks like a child's toy.

What do you think? That is an easy fix since the yellow car was not in the first shot of just the background.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2018, 04:31 PM
Nashville, TN

Hails from United States

Very nice concept for the levitating monster truck. It definitely looks like it could be real (though I agree the car on the right looks more like a toy than the truck).

The only piece of constructive criticism I would offer is that while you did a good job creating an illusion of levitation over the foreground sand, where you stuck the stick in, the angle you chose to shoot at actually lines the truck wheels up perfectly with the background sand ridge.

To me, it looks like the truck is driving on the background sand more so than jumping off the foreground sand. I think if you had gotten down just a few more inches from where you were, we would see a bit of blue between the wheels and the sand, and that would complete the illusion.

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2018, 04:52 PM
A WC! Legend
Huntington Beach, CA

Hails from United States

That's a very precise observation - we need more helpful responses like this.

But in this case, I'm not seeing it as a major problem. The truck is sharper than the dune that it might at first glance seem to be on, so to my eye they are clearly far apart - not on the same plane at all.

That being said, a bit of blue sky between the lower wheels and the distant dune would have added even more interest and believability to an already fine image.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2018, 09:20 PM

Hails from United States

Thanks Yeckolo, you make a good point. Now I shall have to go back to Florida to redo this photo shoot.
Lovell

PS. Welcome to the photography forum and thank you for scrutinizing my image and sharing what you discovered. We enjoy critiques and appreciate suggestions. Please return anytime and hopefully you have images of your own you can share with us.

Last edited by Luv2shoot : 03-06-2018 at 09:25 PM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2018, 04:00 PM
A WC! Legend
South Dakota, USA

Hails from United States

Well, now I am jealous! You get to play on the sandy beach and I get to "play" in the snow! Good job!

If you go back and do it again, I would like to see the truck stay lined up with the tracks in the sand. It looks to me like the truck is to far back, maybe move the stick to a closer angle to the camera?

I feel it’s healthier to look out at the world through a window rather than through a mirror. With a mirror, all you see is yourself and whatever is behind you. –Bill Withers