WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Watercolor Gallery
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2018, 09:17 AM

Avocado

This is my first serious attempt at watercolors. I usually work in a combination of ink and colored pencil and typically have a more illustrative style with clean black outlines, so learning watercolors has been challenging, to say the least. It's certainly pushing me outside of my comfort zone, which is a good thing.

I'm actually pretty pleased with the way the avocado itself turned out, but not so much with the shadow. I worked with it for quite a long time and just couldn't get the look I wanted. Would love to hear any feedback or tips on how to do better on this in the future.

Title: Avocado
Size: 9x12
Paper: 90lb. cold press

Name:  20180209_085711_resized.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  82.6 KB

Thanks for looking!

Amy
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2018, 09:30 AM
Immortalized
Turkey

Hails from Turkey
Re: Avocado

Nice painting.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2018, 02:17 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

You catch on well, for your first pure watercolour this is excellent.

Doug
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2018, 04:48 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Germany

You've got some nice textures in your Avocado, especially at the core.
About the body shadow , it confuses me that the body shadow of the front Avocado is at the right side, but of the back Avocado at the left side. Also the cast shadow goes to the right. That means the left side of the back Avocado should be lightened.
And the cast shadow is normally darker that the body shadow, as the body shadow gets reflected light from the ground, which also could result in some ground color in the body shadow area.
A good shadow colors is mostly a mixture of two dark complements (could be a perylene green with a dark red or what I use often an ultramarine blue with burnt siena) painted over the local color.
You should try and mix different complementary colors and see which mixes pleases you. To experiment with mixing the colors and learn which colors go well together and which not is very essential for water colors. And have fun

Esther
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2018, 09:54 PM
Enthusiast
Georgia, USA

Hails from United States

Nicely painted!
Frank
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2018, 01:32 PM

Thank you all for your kind words!

And thank you Esther for the advice. I will definitely work on the color mixing and pay more attention to the shadows in the future. I think someone mentioned in another thread "paint what you see, not what you know" and that's something I need to work on.

One of the things I struggled with was the paint pooling in certain areas because the paper was warping, which was in part why my shadows on the avocado were a little wonky. I was using 90lb paper, thinking it would be ok for practice and learning purposes, but I think it's making things harder on myself. I bought some heavier paper this weekend, so I'm hoping that will help as well.

Amy