WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2018, 04:53 PM

Favorite Art Projectors?

Hello,

I've dug through this history and have seen a few topics on this, but not too many recently.

I'm looking for some art projector recommendations that don't break the bank. The Artograph Flare, while highly rated, looks like it has a low lumen count (and it's expensive) so I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to use it in average daylight conditions.

Anyone have any favorites or recommendations for projecting on a 18x24 or so canvas? Ideally I would like to be able to use it normal light and not the dark.

Thank you!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2018, 09:27 AM
Enthusiast

Re: Favorite Art Projectors?

I tried projectors and found them difficult to use since my hand creates a very dark shadow that blocks the area I need to see. I also found it almost impossible to get the drawing image perfectly square on the panel. If you need to retrace an area, getting the projection set to match what you traced originally is a lesson in futility. Additionally I could not see my tracing marks once applied.

I switched to printing out transfer sheets then transferring the image to the surface. I will never go back to the projector. Scan your preliminary drawing then size it to fit the exact dimensions of the painting or if you are tracing a photo, do the same. If your printer won't make a big enough transfer sheet use the tile function (Adobe Acrobat is the easiest for me) to create as large of a sheet as you need, taping the multiple sheets together than applying graphite or pastel to the back so you can trace the image onto your painting surface. I have made 48" wide transfer sheets that worked perfectly. The best printer / scanner I found for the job under $200 was the Epson Workforce series with a 12x17 scan and print capability. The WF-7610 can be found for $150 shipped from time to time.

Most after market inks and carts are not that great. Some will totally ruin your printhead. If you are going to be doing a bunch of printing, I would strongly recommend that you get after market tanks and inks from either http://www.precisioncolors.com/ or https://www.inkjetcarts.us/

Some folks like projectors. Hopefully you will get some good advice on which ones they do like. Make sure it has keystone correction, is bright enough to see clearly without having to be in total darkness, and will focus at the distances you will need.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2018, 04:07 AM
Veteran Member

Re: Favorite Art Projectors?

I use an overhead projector - like they use to use in school. I make the transparency on my inkjet printer. I have unarguably the best overhead projector ever made - the 3m 9800.

It has 6000 lumens. A 6000 lumens lcd projector costs $3,500.
It has a 3 element lens - others have 1 element.
It also has a close-up lens that gets you a 30% bigger image with edge to edge flatness.
It has two bulbs, so you can replace a burn-out with the flick of a switch.
It has an adjustment for chromatic aberrations.
Two brightness settings
11.3" x 11.3" stage
All metal built like a tank.
A 3"x4" image on the transparency will project to 24"x36" image with the projector only six feet away! The resolution is insane. The projected image looks like the image on my monitor only bigger and brighter.

I bought mine from an artist that was using it outside during the day to make murals. I paid $50. That is a whale of a deal. They don't come on the market often. I just saw one on ebay for around $175 shipped. If it's in good condition I would snap it up if I didn't already have one.

Like all optics, when you set it up make sure the transparency is centered on the stage, the projector axis square to the screen and image projected straight, not tilted... do all that and you will have no problems.

Last edited by theBongolian : 02-10-2018 at 04:13 AM.