WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2018, 11:28 AM
Lord of the Arts

Locking Formula for Atelier Interactive Acrylics

This is my first painting using the Atelier Interactive Acrylics. I have yet to use the Locking Formula. I did read the instructions for it but still have some questions that perhaps someone here who has used them can help me with.

I am using the slow dry medium mixed into my paints at about 1:3 medium to paint and liking how long it stays open. I particularly like how easy it is to soften edges after the paint is touch dry using a moist brush with or without some *Unlocking Formula on it (*isopropyl alcohol and water).

I tried some tests using the Locking Formula and even after 24 hours of dry time, the Locking Formula dissolves the paint far to easily. If I need to add some glazing layers, how do I seal the surface so the glazes won't pull up the layers below? Should I just use some kind of clear medium rather than the locking formula? What I don't want to do is use the Locking Formula in the paint as I paint because I want it to remain open until I am totally done with the layer.

Also, what method have you found to be the best for speed curing the painting once it is done so you don't have to wait 10-14 days to do whatever you want that requires a totally dry / cured surface such as working in oils on top, applying a final varnish and so forth? They suggest a blow dryer and or Locking Formula but I would prefer something different like curing in the oven or in the sun when the weather is warm. How can you tell when it is totally cured? If there isn't a way, then I guess the 14 day wait is unavoidable.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2018, 12:57 PM
WC! Guide
Germany

Hails from Germany
Re: Locking Formula for Atelier Interactive Acrylics

I can only suggest to make a trial in a separate trial surface before you even try it on your painting... wish you luck, sorry I can't help you further but I have never used that product...
Quote:
"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2018, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Hi - The Slow Medium is the most rewettable of all the "interactive" mediums, so I am not surprised that it is still reopening. How long it takes to set up - that all depends on humidity, how thickly you paint, and your surface. But you may find that your paint still reopens weeks later - which can be great for some people, not so great for others!

So what to do now? Well, it sounds like you want to use some more traditional techniques like glazing. Setting you paint in the sun will help, as heat and warm air speed the curing process. Do not put it in the oven! I find a hair dryer or heat gun on a low setting works well. You may want to try spray applying an isolation coat of Universal Medium or Fast Medium. This way, you are not touching your paint surface but the medium is still applied. Once that layer has set, you can gently brush apply another isolation coat, and then you should be able to glaze successfully.

You mentioned how you like the open time the Slow Medium gives you. Perhaps, this medium would work better for you in those top finishing layers, or perhaps the Clear Painting Medium would suit your purposes better. I love the Clear Painting Medium, because I can still reopen it with Unlocking Formula but once it is set up in a few hours or the next day, I can overpaint and glaze.

PS You mention the Locking Formula in your post. I am assuming you mean the UNlocking Formula or are you talking about something else?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2018, 09:46 AM
Lord of the Arts

Re: Fast Medium/Fixer for Atelier Interactive Acrylics

Thanks for the suggestions jennifervs.

Sorry, I was referring to the Fast Medium/Fixer. I should have looked up the correct name before posting this.

I have an HVLP spray gun that should work well to put some of the Fast Medium on there to set the layer. I will do some testing. The painting is about 3/4ths done and I am quite liking the way the Atelier paints are working for me.

What do you recommend for softening up paints that are starting to thicken up in the tubes? I am considering removing all the paint from the tube, thinning it down to match the consistency of the other tubes, then re-tubing it. I don't want to let it get any harder before I take care of it.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2018, 09:52 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Brazil

Most open mediums need to be used sparingly. If you use a lot it will take as long as oils to dry. I usually mix them with more traditional medium.. on a 1:5 ratio.

If you use 30% open medium and 70% paint You will need to wait a WEEK or more depending on climate conditions.
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2018, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States
Re: Fast Medium/Fixer for Atelier Interactive Acrylics

Quote:
Originally Posted by contumacious
T
What do you recommend for softening up paints that are starting to thicken up in the tubes? I am considering removing all the paint from the tube, thinning it down to match the consistency of the other tubes, then re-tubing it. I don't want to let it get any harder before I take care of it.

In this case, I'd probably use Clear or Slow.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2018, 12:02 PM
Lord of the Arts

Thanks everyone for the additional tips!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2018, 11:18 PM
Melbourne, Australia.

Hails from Australia

Glad I saw this thread.
I just bought a bottle of Atelier Slow Medium.
I don't want it to take as long as oil to dry so will use only a small amount.
I bought it because I paint in a garage and in summer it gets hot in there and paint dries so fast.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2018, 01:19 PM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario_K
Glad I saw this thread.
I just bought a bottle of Atelier Slow Medium.
I don't want it to take as long as oil to dry so will use only a small amount.
I bought it because I paint in a garage and in summer it gets hot in there and paint dries so fast.

I tried the Fast Medium / Fixer today on a piece that was painted with quite a bit of the Slow Medium in it. It was dry to the touch before I applied it, but if I wiped it with a damp cloth, paint would come off on the cloth. Less than 15 minutes after brushing on a thin layer of the Fast Medium, I could rub the surface with the damp cloth with no hint of paint coming off the surface. Pretty nifty.

The only difficulty I had with the Fast Medium / Fixer was that it was drying so fast that I had a difficult time brushing it on the surface. Before I got to the end of this 11x14 panel, the first 1/3rd was already dry. Maybe a bit of water added could regulate that to the desired drying speed.