WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Color Theory and Mixing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2018, 03:42 AM
Veteran Member

Streaking

No, not running naked in public places, but the tendency for transparent colors to streak - go on uneven leaving dark lines of pigment. I use Golden heavy bodied acrylics and am always having problems with this. Adding water or medium doesn't seem to help. Some colors worse than others.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2018, 04:15 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: Streaking

That's the nature of transparent colors - their color varies based on thickness (brush strokes tend to leave ridges of various thickness, and thus darkness). You can try doing whatever you can to make the application as even/smooth as possible. Try a wide, soft taklon brush with a light touch and a single stroke (going over and over might make it more streaky). I would expect some acrylic mediums would/could allow smooth marks...especially a flowing/leveling medium. If you want to avoid dealing with streakyness altogether, you can add white to opacify or just use more opaque colors.

I've learned to appreciate that streakyness...it's the opposite of 'flat-looking' and it can be very beneficial and aesthetically pleasing for underpainting by allowing edges to intermingle, avoiding hard flat blocks of color.

Last edited by Patrick1 : 02-08-2018 at 04:29 AM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2018, 09:24 AM
Enthusiast
Connecticut

Hails from United States

I have the same problem. Using Flow-Aid, a soft brush and a light touch helped.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2018, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

Kind of like in this sample?
Attached Images

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2018, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb3
Kind of like in this sample?
Yes only worse. Especially when I have large areas of flat transparent paint. Once you get streaks you can't get rid of them by applying more color. I'm wondering if fluid acrylics would streak less than heavy bodied?
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2018, 06:00 PM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

I used Golden Fluids for a long time, and they also can be streaky although they don't show brushmarks much like heavy body does. I dealt with this by:

--using multiple layers, at least three, so they cancel each other out.
--don't use a flat, use a bright. The flapping of the flat at the end of the stroke really increases blotchiness. Either use a bright or try hard to just stop at the end of a stroke and not flick at the end like with a broom. That flicking makes blotches.
--use Open medium to help prevent the paint from tacking up while you are in that area. Tackiness increases streaks. Open lets you paint until you are finished and can treat the area with a hair dryer before you apply any more paint.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2018, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm going to try acrylic ink for large areas of color and see if that doesn't improve things.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2018, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm going to try acrylic ink for large areas of color and see if that doesn't improve things.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2018, 06:52 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBongolian

Also simple physics help. The more strength you use, the more the paint will flush to the spaces in between the brush hairs. The less strength you put, the less energy is in the system to push paint out of the way from their natural placement.
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2018, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member

Other out of the norm options : Air brush or silk screen the areas with acrylic paint that need to be really flat.

Also contact/email Golden - great customer service.