WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2018, 09:15 PM
Southern California

Hails from United States
Hi and Intro

I've periodically "lurked" on these forums and often found them to be a very useful resource for information and wanted to say "Hi!" and offer a little introduction.

I've been exploring painting and illustrating quite a bit over the last couple of years and have settled predominantly on Casein as my medium of choice - though I still play around with oils sometimes with mixed success (I react very badly to the solvents) and often use Gouache when I plein air paint. I am intrigued by egg tempura, so may give it a try. I've used the Richeson Shiva Caseins, but am also curious about making my own paints.

I've attached a couple of recent illustrations I've painted in Casein to this note (if I attached them correctly). If you are curious, more can be seen at my website: chuckgrieb.com.

I have explored varnishing my Caseins on occasion, though tend not to do so as often any longer.
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2018, 12:57 AM
Minnesota, USA

Hails from United States
Re: Hi and Intro

Welcome Chuck,

Wow - your work is fantastic! As someone who paints from life, I'm always amazed at imaginative work that looks so believable. I love your anthropomorphized animals. You've really captured their gestures and expressions - and all the while handling the paint with such finesse. Bravo!

Here's a post on Charley Parker's blog on casein you may enjoy: http://linesandcolors.com/2016/12/01...-casein-paint/

Looking forward to seeing more of your work here,
Mary
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2018, 01:28 AM
Southern California

Hails from United States

Mary,

Thank you! I use plenty of reference, sometimes even building models, so even though it may look like I'm "making it up", success still entails a lot of painting from life.

And thank you for the link! That was a very informative blog post and the comments on the post proved even more educational!

Chuck
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2018, 03:28 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Jacksonville, Florida

Welcome Chuck,

You have some nice stuff there so keep them coming.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2018, 05:28 PM

Hails from United States

Welcome, Chuck, I really like your paintings! You certainly don't have any problems with blending.

Hope you show us more of your work.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2018, 09:03 PM
Southern California

Hails from United States

Boafamily and Artist_By_Accident - Thank you! If you are interested, you can see a few more examples of my work at this link (http://chuckgrieb.com/) and I'll be sure to post more as I make 'em! For those interested, I also have some fairly extensive process posts you can find on my blog, one of which can be found here:
https://chuckimation.tumblr.com/post...race-pt-1-of-3

I've actually found Casein to be very forgiving. The more I work with it, the more flexible I find it to be.

I do of wish there were more options in so far as ready to use resources as the color selection from Richeson is limited and I can relate to some of the varied quality concerns I've read others have experienced (thick/dried out paint with some tubes/colors and very watery paint from others). I have tried mixing watercolors and gouache with Casein Emulsion to expand my palette with mixed results. I may try making some of my own Casein paint and see how that changes my perspective.

Chuck