WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Color Theory and Mixing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2018, 12:52 PM
Essex, UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Lightening acrylics

I have only been painting a year. Acrylics are drying darker which I have read is the norm. Instinct is to make them lighter....but how?

If I get the correct green for grass then if I were to add yellow it would lighten, yes, but would shift to the wrong tone. And the same by adding white...it would turn chalky bluish. Are there any rules for lightening everything so it doesn't dry too dark please?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2018, 02:47 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: Lightening acrylics

Acrylics dry darker - yes this is normal. The dried final color is the true color of that paint - the color to keep in mind. I like to paint a thick swatch on the tube near the mouth - that way you can see its final color, and when you open the cap you can clearly see the wet vs. dry difference. Oils have the luxury of no color change (although oils tend to get less glossy over time).

The better acrylics have less value shift, although there will always be some. It's best to stay with artist-grade/pro acrylics if you want to minimize it. The darker and more transparent colors experience more value shift. Minimizing the water you add will also reduce it. I like to use acrylic medium rather than water - the clearer the medium (less milky) the better. Also, rather than adding more water or medium to help spread the paint, you can just squeeze out more paint...the more paint you use, the longer it stays wet and workable.

For your color problem of getting the correct green - I would usually do it the way you mention (adding a bit of white and yellow) ...but yeah if you over-do it you will get a green that is too light, too blueish/chalky or too yellowish. With practice you get better at pre-adjusting to just the right amount. The best way to pre-lighten a red or orange might also be by adding a bit of white and yellow. For blues and purples, just a bit of white usually works. But it depends on the circumstance - you have to try and see what works best in a given situation.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2018, 04:47 AM
Essex, UK

Thank you Patrick, I will keep at it!!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2018, 05:29 AM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

If you use zinc white to lighten, it shouldn't turn blueish and chalky. Something that I have done to get a very bright color in acrylics is to paint it over a layer of titanium white.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2018, 06:05 AM
Essex, UK

Ah, thank you Harold, that sounds like a plan!!