WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2018, 01:42 PM
Seattle

Hails from United States
pastel pencils

Hello! Anyone have suggestions on the softest pastel pencils on the market? I'm new to pastel painting, and my old Contes are too hard, they scratch more than they lay down colors. I'm looking for something to make details over the top of my layered paintings. Workable fixative doesn't seem to do the trick. I've also tried some of my harder sticks like Nupastels, nothing seems to lay down color. Suggestions?

Thanks
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2018, 01:58 PM
san diego, ca

Hails from United States
Re: pastel pencils

Here is a link to one of the threads that discusses the various brands of pastel pencils. I hope this is helplful.

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2018, 03:40 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

I use Carb Othello Stabilo and those are the ones I always thought of as the softest. But really, they are all close to each other in texture and closest to hard pastels like Nupastel. The problem with putting detailed marks over heavily layered color is that you're dealing with sticks that are a lot softer than all the pastel pencils sometimes. One way to do it is to go more lightly around the detailed area and finish it with the pencils. Another is to gently blend just the area under where the details will go with a tool like a Colour Shaper or its equivalents - these do include a slice of a vinyl eraser or a bit of pipe insulation, used carefully. I like the colour shapers for getting into tight spaces.

The very softest white for details that I've ever used is General's White Charcoal pencils. They are really soft.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2018, 04:49 PM
Seattle

Hails from United States

Thanks Robert. I've seen a lot of your posts, and they are very detailed and helpful. I appreciate the comments! Funny, I looked at some General pastel pencils the other day at the store and decided not to buy them, for some reason. Now I definitely will give the white one a try. I also have hesitated using any of those shapers, but I'll pick some up too. The scratching/drawing with my old Contes gives kind of an interesting effect, I was just wondering if there was a better way. Very nice to actually "talk" to you. Hope all is well with you.