WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Pastels > Oil Pastel Studio
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2018, 03:27 AM
Mpumalanga South Africa

Hails from South Africa
Portrait woes

This is a first OP portrait attempt for me. I am not happy with the colours - too garish - and the finish is a bit spotty despite extensive blending with cotton buds. I would really appreciate suggestions for improvement.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2018, 01:39 PM
Standerton

Hails from South Africa
Re: Portrait woes

Wow! Beautiful. What op's and support are you working with? Did you try oil base cp yet for blending? Solvents?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2018, 06:26 PM
Enthusiast
Portland

Hails from United States

Beautiful work! hair texture is awesome as is the entire portrait. I was going to ask you same question Christel did. What brand of op's and what support you working on?

My Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/richarriagada/
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2018, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member

Lovely portrait! The eyes and the expression are lovely. The only thing I noticed is that ears seem to be somewhat misplaced.

Last edited by otherworlder : 02-06-2018 at 10:05 PM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2018, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
SE USA

Hails from United States

I agree with the others, it's a lovely portrait. The hair texture is incredible. The skin looks well blended.

What parts of the portrait are you not satisfied with? I'm curious about the op's and support you used, too.

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2018, 03:41 AM
Mpumalanga South Africa

Hails from South Africa

Hi and thanks to you all for the encouraging feedback.

I am using hot press watercolour paper as a ground (forget what kind). The pastels are Mungyo Gallery and Monte Marte. I did the portrait over a watercolour painting that failed and which I unsuccessfully tried to wash off under running water, so there was a slight underpainting (of sorts) remaining.

As I am ignorant as to which are the best colours to use for portraits (since then discovered the very useful thread in the WC's OP section), the result was overly pink to my liking.

I use a piece of calico material around my finger to blend as well as cotton buds. As there was already an underpainting of sorts, I did not use an OMS wash as I often do on the under layers of a painting. In the hair I layered white first then very pale yellow and violet over the top in places then scratched back to get highlights and fly away hairs.

The finished piece looks a bit blotchy to me. Looked at at an angle, there are shiny patches which I put down to blending (a lot). I subsequently sprayed with hairspray which seems to have solved this problem.

I am wondering if I am not using too thin a layer of OP which could cause the blotchy finish? Perhaps the ground is too absorbent?

I find it particularly difficult to blend smoothly when trying to desaturate colours by applying a very thin layer of color (eg red) over another layer (eg green).

Sorry for the essay but I am grabbing the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Many thanks.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2018, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United Kingdom

Colour looks fine to me, the only problems I can see are the ears and the parting of the hair, which extends a bit too high.

Colour is less important than value but the colours you've used make the subject look fresh and young - which is great since the subject is a child! Maybe the colours are different to the reference (if you used a reference) but they don't look wrong.

It's a lovely painting and an unusual portrait composition and crop. I find unusual things very appealing.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2018, 12:50 PM
Standerton

Hails from South Africa

Hairspray? I haven't used that yet.
Paper sounds fine and op's are great.
Some op's have the tendency to 'blotch'. I then add a softer op and blend the 2 together, or I try a solvent. I blend in tiny circular motions for problem areas. If all else fails, I use a tiny amount of appropriate oil color - works every time.
I find adding just a bit of color to change the hue can be done successfully using cp or a glaze(some op dissolved and painted over quickly so as not to dissolve bottom layer - for larger areas)
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2018, 01:26 PM
Enthusiast
Portland

Hails from United States

I use stumps, tortillions and my fingers to blend. I find that using the sennelier colorless blending stick works great and really helps with blending and covering. I've used solvents before, but now just go with blending stick.

My Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/richarriagada/
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2018, 12:02 AM
Mpumalanga South Africa

Hails from South Africa

Thank you both for the valuable information. I shall certainly try. I wonder whether water mixable oil paints would work for touchups? Shall give it a try.