WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing > Framing Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2018, 08:01 AM

Hails from United States
Angry Matt cutting woes

I can't really afford many pre-cut mats for my watercolors, so I bought an inexpensive Logan cutter and some matboard, etc. I have had a few successes, but aside from my arthritic fingers, I can't seem to keep my straight edge from slipping, however careful I am.
I use either a metal carpenter square, or a steel ruler with a cork backing, but manage to shift the straight edge every time. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't need to make at least 3 cuts to get it done.
I am careful to change blades and follow the directions and all but I still manage to ruin too many of them.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2018, 12:30 AM
Veteran Member
Clinton, MA

Hails from United States
Re: Matt cutting woes

The immediate answer might be a straightedge with an antislip surface, rubber or cork usually. The better solution is to get a better mat cutter, but hard to justify the expense if you don't plan to use if a lot. In any case, stay away from the cheap ones. They generally do a poor job.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2018, 04:29 AM
Florida, USA

Hails from United States
Re: Matt cutting woes

I've had 2 Art galleries offering custom Picture framing as well. I have several logan mat cutters. The logan 301 compact system has it's own straight edge and backstop that makes it easy to get a straight cut and sets the mat width as well. It runs about $99.00 on Amazon, but there are a lot of good used ones for less on Ebay. Youtube has videos that can help with using the systems out there. With arthritis you may find the push type cutters more comfortable and easier to control.. Or, If your Logan 4000 has nylon guides you may find the Logan Adapt-a-rule is sufficient to do the task. $45 amazon.com.

Don Dattler
In Art, Learning to see is at least as important as the actual creation of Art. ~ George Benedict

Last edited by ddattler : 03-31-2018 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Adding info.