WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials > Watermedia
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2018, 04:06 PM

Can you use watersoluble pastels with watersoluble pencils?

Specifically can I use neocolor II with staedtler luna? For example lay down a base of pastels and then use the pencils on top? Or whatever other reason I would need to combine them. Or would i have to use the pastels and pencils separately, for example pastels for background and the pencils for the main focus.

P.S. What should I buy first, I cant buy both of them now. The 48 set of Staedtler Lunas or the 15 neocolor II? I already have the paper and brushes. Would the choice of what to buy first change if they work together or not?

Thank you, this is very appreciated.

Last edited by ZyadMohamed : 02-03-2018 at 04:08 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2018, 07:51 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States
Re: Can you use watersoluble pastels with watersoluble pencils?

I don't know why they would not work together. I've only used the NeoColors and black Staedtler pen...probably would buy the Neos first.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2018, 08:18 PM

Okay, ill wait for some more responses on the matter of using tem together. Maybe someone actually tried it out.

I would normally go for the neocolor IIs aswell, but I saw this guys videos who uses the staedtlers and think I can do something really nice with watercolor pencils, especially if I practice a little. Here is my favorite video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmGMSpxDRTI (Not trying to advertise, just showing why this guy is making me confident I could do stuff.

Thank you for everything!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2018, 09:42 PM
Enthusiast
Michigan

Hails from United States

Hi! I used NeoColors 2 and Derwent museum aquerelle watercolor pencils and Derwent graphix line painters for this piece in my sketchbook. I love each product for their different marks... go ahead, experiment.

http://lalflen.wordpress.com/
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2018, 08:42 AM

Would you recommend getting the neocolor II or the watercolor pencils first? Thank you
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2018, 09:54 AM
Enthusiast
Michigan

Hails from United States

I got the NeoColors first. Had them for years. Then saved my money and got really good watercolor pencils. You can cover large areas easily with the NeoColors. You can use them with and without water. Or can dip a watercolor brush in wafer and just touch the Neo to collect a tiny bit of paint for delicate painting. They are very versatile! Use the tips or take paper off and use them on their side. Sorry if I sound like an advertisement.

http://lalflen.wordpress.com/
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2018, 10:38 AM

As I said to the other guy. I would normally go for the neocolor IIs aswell, but I saw this guys videos who uses the staedtlers and think I can do something really nice with watercolor pencils, especially if I practice a little. Here is my favorite video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmGMSpxDRTI (Not trying to advertise, just showing why this guy is making me confident I could do stuff. He taught me how to use watercolor pencils and im sure I could do well.

Maybe if everyone is telling me the neocolors I should get them first.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2018, 04:33 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Can't wait to see what you do.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2018, 04:59 PM

Thanks, that is when I could actually afford this stuff. Artsy stuff is always so expensive. But thats what I get for wanting good stuff. Aside from that im excited as well. Maybe do a few of that guy's tutorial videos and then Ill be able to create some great things!

Ive decided on the pencil, I have alot of experience with colored pencils, and some with watercolor. So I think thats better for me! Thank you for everything
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2018, 01:15 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

In terms of cost the pencils will go well first. Good to get good stuff. I love the Neocolor IIs and you'll have fun with those once you get them.

I've used both for years. Putting them together is interesting. You may want to try one white stick of Neocolor II to start, because those wash out much more like gouache - it's easier to get opaque color with them, they are strong and very pigment rich and go over other colors well. Wet, you're using water media over water media so if you don't want the underlayer to mix, be very careful laying the second layer or isolate it with a spray of workable fixative. That can be through a stencil if you only want to isolate an area.

White Neocolor II is a good source of opaque white.

Staedtler is a good brand. Artist grade supplies do run expensive but they're well worth it in the long run because they go farther.

Anyway, pencils first may be a good choice although it could work with either. Depends on your style too. They give different textures. Both are certainly good enough in artist grade that you can sell paintings to get yourself more supplies, which is always a good way to expand.

Also, watch for when the Neocolor 2s are on sale. They are cheaper in sets than in open stock unless you luck and get some used ones loose in a secondhand collection. Watch the Swap Shop here for them too, I've seen them a lot of times. Also watch art stores for what winds up in the clearance bin, online stores for clearance - gift sets tend to get very deep discounts after the holidays so they get them out of the way to get next year's gift sets. Or they ditch the last ones right before stocking for the holidays. Either way I've gotten some great artist grade supplies in gift sets sold after the holidays because they'll tend to be bundled with other tools and supplies and then wind up something like a third or a quarter the price.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

Last edited by robertsloan2 : 02-06-2018 at 01:17 AM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2018, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZyadMohamed
Specifically can I use neocolor II with staedtler luna? For example lay down a base of pastels and then use the pencils on top? Or whatever other reason I would need to combine them. Or would i have to use the pastels and pencils separately, for example pastels for background and the pencils for the main focus.

You sure can use them together. The neocolor II have a soft crayon-like texture, so you will probably have more difficulty laying down any pencil over a layer of neocolor II than you will laying down neocolor II over a layer of pencil. But experimentation will sort that out for you.

I haven't tried the Lunas, but I can and do recommend the Staedtler Karat watercolor pencils (I think the Karats are their artist-grade while the Lunas are student-grade). The Karats are probably my favorite economically-priced watercolor pencil.

At the high end, Caran d'Ache Supracolor are from the same color range as the Neocolor II, but each set has colors (maybe a dozen or more?) absent from the other.

Kos

Kos
Root, Bone, Sticks & Stone