WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Southwest and Western Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2018, 03:57 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States
'Round the Campfire ~ February

Hi everyone, and happy February! I've always been glad the shortest month of the year is a winter month. Winter feels so long sometimes. Anyway, I've got some fresh coffee, hot chocolate, and cake! Come and get it.

(From January's Campfire)

Hi Jo. Why, happy early birthday to your son, Larry! Your cake recipe sounds divine!

Hi Sheila. I hope it warms up for you soon. We're in the single digits and below zero lately...it's hard when it gets bitter cold. Your portrait of this cat is stunning! Those pens are intriguing. Are they alcohol based? I really like the effects you get with them. Looks like you've got a good handle on how to use them.

Hi Kay. Thanks for hosting our Monthly Challenge! I'm looking forward to giving some of them a go.

I just placed an order for some custom-sized scratchboards...sounds like they'll take a couple weeks or so to ship, but I'm looking forward to getting them! Have a great evening, everyone. Happy creating!

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2018, 04:55 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States
Re: 'Round the Campfire ~ February

Hi Jenna, hope this short month brings you a shorter winter! Our winter may be pretty much over. Been in mid 60s for more than a week. UT Baseball starts in about 3 weeks and invariably we get a couple of cold weekends!

Haven't been doing much, updating my website even though I don't have new paintings. Sigh...

Hi everyone, happy artsy stuff!
Winston Churchill
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2018, 10:28 AM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Today we have sun and 54 degrees with 78 for Sat., 74 thru Sun-Mon. Not bad for early Feb!
My alcohol inks workshop in Midland did make with I think 13 participants and that is in the morning, so no Saturday sleep-in for moi! They're paying me $45 a head so not bad for a weekend work.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2018, 11:41 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hi Jo. Thanks. We got a good helping of snow today, but hey, it's barely February. Websites do take frequent maintenance, don't they? I've been working on mine lately, too. Your website is really beautiful, and it's a joy to see your paintings!

Hi Kay. Ah, that sounds lovely. We probably won't see any temps in the 70s until around May. Ugh, I hate to even think of the wait! I'll bet your workshop is awesome! I have a friend who does some stunning work with alcohol inks. Such an interesting medium! I've never tried it, but they seem to be growing in popularity.

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2018, 12:18 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Jenna, February already. Yikes. It is usually our coldest even though they start baseball. I'm not ready.

Kay, wish Midland was closer, I would go to the workshop! Have fun and hope to see some of the work.

Off to a Revel today, classical music in a casual setting.
Winston Churchill
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2018, 03:30 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

It is 66 here, no wind (imagine that miracle), sunny, and should be outside doing something instead of cleaning out closets...new carpet to be installed Tuesday-Wednesday. I've made multiple trips to Goodwill and still rear of car is full of jeans and pants to donate...a clotheshound/packrat

My workshop went well. I sold two originals, two art books I'm in by Chris Unwin, and we had 11 participants...even one man took it till noon then he left

I did three demos so here are two. Just minor touchups on the last one to do.

Ink on Yupo, abstract floral then the cat is faux batik ink on wax paper:

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2018, 12:21 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Inks look like so much fun, Kay. The cat is really nice and interesting on wax paper.

Yesterday was so nice. Cooler today and maybe rain tomorrow morning in time for our sketching group.

Doing paperwork today. More later......
Winston Churchill
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2018, 05:03 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hi everyone! I hope you're all staying warm. Looks like we're in for a week of below zero nights again, but I guess it's still February. Fresh, hot coffee for everyone!

I just got word from the Banbury Art Crawl, and they had a couple of cancellations, and wondered if I wanted a spot in the show after all. I enthusiastically said yes, so now, I've got just a few days to pull everything together. Wow! So I won't be around here much for the rest of the week, and not at all for the weekend.

Hi Jo. How was the Revel? It sure sounds like fun.

Hi Kay. Congratulations on your successful workshop! Your work is really beautiful! That cat is stunning.

Hello to everyone else. I'll talk to you all later.

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2018, 10:49 AM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Cold here again yesterday but sun is out today. Only supposed to warm up to the 40s. Another workshop for me is this coming Saturday...tried to cancel it saying not enough participants but some gals recruited 3 more! I so need to continue working on my taxes, eeeeekkkkk!

Jo, how was your Revel?

Jenna, so glad this happened for you. That is good luck!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2018, 12:04 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Great work Kay love the cat!

It is 86 here today! The forecast is calling 4 the high 80 mark all week and into the weekend way to early for hot humid weather I have to say I am building up a dislike for Florida!! Been here 5 years now and I am ready to move!!
http://painterofthesouthwest.blogspot.com/
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2018, 08:11 AM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Two years in Pensacola attending nursing school was long enough for me, Richard. Just way too humid and hot. Love the dry heat we have in Texas and southeast NM much better.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2018, 02:11 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Kay, good to have a class. I'm working on taxes, too.

Richard, your heat is a bit much. Florida is pretty easy living other than the humidity! Ha. Nice to visit!

The Revel was excellent. Such fantastic musicians with a touch of fun in their stories and attitude making classical music a pleasure for all. Joel Becktell, our hometown friend, is an amazing cellist.

No southwest sketches for the moment. Still working on Christmas cards, yikes! And, as Kay says, taxes!
Winston Churchill
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2018, 11:13 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

We had 76 degrees today but tomorrow is back to low 40s. Seven are signed up for the inks class. Yes, the awful taxes will be continued on Sunday. But yesterday was payday and I was gone to Ft. Worth, so not able to check with other employees to see if they got a big tax break. Today revealed about $3K more per year.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2018, 09:48 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Happy Valentine's Day!
This appeared on my desk this morning. It is so soft that it is almost creepy. Ha. Hope you, that celebrate this day, have fun. And a bit of chocolate!
Winston Churchill
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2018, 11:40 AM
A Local Legend
Swift Current, Saskatchewan, Canada

Hails from Canada

Happy Valentine's Day!! A beautiful day here in Saskatchewan. High today of 0C/32F, windchill of -7C/19F. Right now it's a beautiful morning, but the wind is suppose to pick up mid afternoon & snow most of the day. Just a few days ago it was -45 below. I hope that's the last of our below 40 temperatures this year. I'm so ready for spring.

Thought I would show you that cat I was working on. Finally finished it. My friend is very happy with it. I posted it in the animal forum, but not really suitable for this one.

Kay, really love your abstract floral piece. Love the cat too, never thought of wax paper as a surface to paint on. COOL!!!
I would love to try alcohol inks, but I have no room. The closest I'll come is the markers I'm working with now which are alcohol based inks.

Jenna, how was the show? Excited to hear about it!

Jo, that monkey is so cute! You have a secret valentine?

Horse lovers are "stable" people
My Website http://www.freewebs.com/sheilastienley/index.htm