WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2018, 09:55 AM

Leap of Faith

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Leap of Faith
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 9
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a finished oil painting I completed last week of a sockeye salmon in spawning colors attempting to leap through foaming water upwards towards smoother water to the right.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I'd like feedback on color harmony and use of values and contrast. Also, does the composition grab the viewer? Any other comments are welcome and appreciated.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2018, 02:31 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada
Re: Leap of Faith

good action, comp, color and yes it does grab me as a viewer

a few little picks to ponder - the mouth may be too long and gaping, accentuated by the glowing lighter value of spray within it (greyscale attached). I'd be very tempted to clean up the top edge of the fish to separate him more from the spray edge, to give him that smooth sheen of wet (would denote more upward movement/less static a pose).
i like the calm water to the right, but might choose to sheen it up a bit too, just a bit.

cool beans all in all, awesome creature.

la
Attached Images

Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2018, 02:52 PM

Great comments. I'll work on your suggestions. Thanks.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2018, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member
Vermont & Connecticut

Hails from United States

La has hit the nail exactly is n the head. I was just about to say those same things myself. What throws me off most is the excessive length of the lower jawbone.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2018, 04:04 PM

I "fixed" it. Thanks for the comments.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2018, 06:52 AM

As an impasto lover I have to say I enjoy the water spray very much!
I see la has already mentioned the top edge of the fish. That was the part that stuck out to me as feeling a little off. For me the reason is the spray at the bottom is between us and the fish so it's great as is, but the top of the fish should be in front of the background spray, other than maybe a few drops. Sorry if you already changed this.
Also really liked the rich color you used on the salmon. Composition works well as is, just an option would be a well placed rock helping tell the story of all that churning foam.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2018, 12:43 PM

Hails from Canada

I love this piece. The salmon direction has the potential to lead the eye out of the painting, but the calm, dark piece in front of him helps maintain the flow of the piece. A shimmer there might work, but I like that dark contrasting section personally. Also really like the yellow top boarder and darkest bottom right border as framing values. These three points of variance to all the spray really bring the focus back to the salmon imho. I'm no professional and this is not much of a critique, just wanted to add what I find stunning about this piece.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2018, 05:04 PM

Thank you all for your great comments. I've attached the final painting after incorporating many of your comments.

Ron
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2018, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Vermont & Connecticut

Hails from United States

Nice job.