WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Archives
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2018, 05:39 AM
Lincolnshire countryside, UK

Hails from England
The Goalpost February 2018

As Robert's not here yet...I thought I'd start this for him.

Welcome to the Goal Post. Goal setting is a very good tool to help people get organized. If you write or post your thoughts, you are more committed and have a better chance of reaching those goals.

Your goals can be short term or long term. They can be daily, weekly, monthly or annual goals. Goals are personal, so everybody's goals will be different. They are your goals, so you can do what ever you want.

Come join the regular gang and get encouragement to help you reach your goals. We have a very friendly group and we are always looking for new people to join us.

Feel free to share links or images of goals achieved or in progress, those are always fun and people like cheering them on.
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!)[b] Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
Moderator Pastels Getting started in Soft Pastels Uploading Images
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2018, 10:49 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
Re: The Goalpost February 2018

Purr! Thank you for starting this month. You must have time zones on me, or just get up earlier.

My goals for February are:

1. Continue daily art as health permits.
2. Finish scroll in progress.
3. Prepare for my calligraphy classes.
4. Spotlight would be fun, health and weather permitting.

I have an event coming up not next weekend but the one after, which needs a new handout - nice hand calligraphy handout printed out. I need to do the same style of handout for a different script for an event in mid March - the big one, week-long Gulf Wars. Some people find the curved round hands like Celtic Uncial easier (including me), others find the linear ones like Black Letter (Old English) easier. So I'm doing easy starter versions of both, someone who takes both classes will be able to find out which they like better.

There are other kinds, unrelated to either - Arabic calligraphy, Japanese kanji, the script for Hindu writing, they're all just as beautiful but I'm not teaching what I've never even tried. These are the ones usually done in English or Latin on medieval manuscripts that come out great with a dip pen and bottle of ink, or a chisel marker.

But with Gulf Wars only a month and a half away, I have to be prepared. I'm starting to feel deadline pressure already. The sooner I have the supplies and handouts and class stuff together, the better I'll feel.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

Last edited by robertsloan2 : 02-01-2018 at 11:07 AM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2018, 04:02 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
South East

Hails from England

Thanks Deirdre for starting us off ( I think we are 5 hours ahead of the states Robert, EST that is).
Nice set of goals Robert and I quite understand about getting ready. Preparation is everything in teaching, it makes everything run smoothly.
I had hoped to get started on the miniatures I have drawn in my sketch-book and sorted out stuff in the garage but perhaps I'll get started on it this month.

1. Categorize 'stuff' for the insulated garage.
2. Get supplies for two additional baseboards (the ones I've made are not big enough).
3. Make up two new base-boards at 1' x 4'.
4. Try to paint one miniature this month.
5. Complete painting the inside of the insulated garage.

I must not forget that I have three birthdays to remember this month. The first four months in the year are busy in that respect.
Jim.

Last edited by mij : 02-02-2018 at 04:18 AM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2018, 01:46 PM
Kuwait

Hails from Australia

Good evening everyone,
I thought I might put in my goals; fitting that my first post as a member is about what I hope to achieve I do hope I got the point of this post correct - there is only two other responses so far.

I would like to make at least one artwork each month. Two artworks is ideal.
Log onto wet canvas at least once a week (more if time permits) to engage in discussion, share my work, comment on other's artworks and learn from my peers.
Learn new skills slightly outside of art. E.g. I want to learn how to film my art and share time-lapses online - which will involve learning film editing and publishing.
Launch my website. Huge amount of work and time and money has so far been put into it and I would love a successful launch.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2018, 03:36 PM
san diego, ca

Hails from United States

Welcome, Kat! It's so nice to have you join us. Every month Robert or Deirdre start the discussion focusing on your goals. Yes, please drop by often. Check out the WIP (works in progress) section. Members share their process when painting with pastels.

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2018, 02:07 AM
Kuwait

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by water girl
Welcome, Kat! It's so nice to have you join us. Every month Robert or Deirdre start the discussion focusing on your goals. Yes, please drop by often. Check out the WIP (works in progress) section. Members share their process when painting with pastels.

Thanks for the welcome. I will check it out. I am sure to post there soon
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2018, 01:16 PM
san diego, ca

Hails from United States

Kat, jump over to the Gallery and feel free to comment on the paintings posted there. When ready, post your work. No pressure. We enjoy seeing what our new members bring to the mix.

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2018, 01:41 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Well, got in art yesterday so that's a good start - and it turned out to be one of my better ones, a black cat in a graveyard. I fiddled with brush pens and got something with a better composition than usual.

Today I might want to work on that Celtic Calligraphy handout since that class is next weekend, the black letter one isn't till March.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2018, 02:05 PM
san diego, ca

Hails from United States

Speaking of cats, Robert, I will work on a new painting of a cat today. The first in many months.

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2018, 04:27 PM
Lord of the Arts
New England

Hails from United States

Glad to see everyone here...welcome, Kat...your goals sound like they will keep you busy! Good luck with them all...

My goals are to continue with the Trinity Paintbox Course on Facebook, and to experiment with oil pastels.
(Rob... I came across your tips on using the oils, and am delighted to have found it. It is very helpful)
I am also reading a book called "The Mystery Wisdom of Color" by Gladys Mayer. Very interesting. I will continue to work with it through the month.

Jim....i'm 'rooting' for you to get your goals accomplished...Good Luck!

C&C always welcomed and appreciated
JudiB
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2018, 08:37 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Ooh purr, Karen! I'm looking forward to seeing your cat painting.

Judibelle, awesome! So glad you're finding my site useful. I love oil pastels, just haven't done anything with them for a long time or written any new articles for a while. But they are a lot of fun. Maybe once my studio is done I'll get into them again, they take a bit more space and it'd be nice to have a table.

Jim, yay for your goals! Looking good!

I sketched today, just didn't get photos and it wasn't something that would stand up as a picture on its own. It's a horse body, no head, cut off by the edge of the paper - and done at about the time the horse got moved so I didn't get to follow it with a head on the next page. So it'll only go in the sketch thread anyway, it's hair directions on a winter horse body. When that horse is a big draft horse. Specifically one of a pair of Percherons that my daughter trims. They were enormous and I got the proportions right.

Also found out that the fountain pen I'm using, its blue ink is not waterproof. Just a swipe of water liquefies it. So yay for rinsing the pens out and cleaning them, but any new line work on the sketch I added Ultramarine washes to has to replace what got blotted out.

Yesterday did and posted the Fallow Deer from the current WDE - did do a second image and may do still more, lots of good photos this week.

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2018, 02:06 AM
Enthusiast
Outside of Darwin Northern Territory

Hails from Australia

Hello folks,
Well this is something I struggle with so I thought I would join in.
I always think I need to paint/draw more so that is my goal for this month, at least one proper painting for the month and one quick painting or drawing per week.
Deanna

"You can own the Earth and still, all you own is earth untill, you can paint with all the colours of the wind." Disney's Pocohontas.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2018, 08:48 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
South East

Hails from England

@Kat It is good to acknowledge what is best for you to be doing then making a plan to achieve it. We wish you every success.

Hi Karen, glad to see you aboard. Love to see the cat you do.

Hi Robert, how about putting the cat here. I'll try to show the garage and base boards later. Fancy cutting off the horses head Robert- are you sure your not an incarnation of the leader of the French
revolution with madame guillotine?

@Judibelle Thanks for the good wishes. They are almost done.

@ Dea. It is a step in the right direction Dea. Best of luck. Have you managed to keep to them?

It is a short month this time so I had to get on and my son came down to help me on Sunday. He is a slave driver but we got a lot done.

1.Categorize 'stuff' for the insulated garage. Nope
2. Get supplies for two additional baseboards (the ones I've made are not big enough). Completed
3. Make up two new base-boards at 1' x 4' and 5' X 2'. Completed
4. Try to paint one miniature this month. Nope
5. Complete painting the inside of the insulated garage. Completed
6. paint baseboards with brown fence paint.
Jim.

Name:  baseboard completion 002.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  62.0 KB

Name:  baseboard completion 003.jpg
Size:  63.9 KB

Name:  baseboard completion 004.jpg
Size:  57.2 KB

Name:  baseboard completion 005.jpg