WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2018, 01:11 AM

Storage box

I have been looking for a wooden storage box that folds up for my pastels. Every time I see one advertised they don't appear to have anything to stop the pastels falling out when the box is unfolded or folded up.
Amy I missing something or are the box pictures taken without a cover over the pastels for advertising purposes?
Hope someone can enlighten me.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2018, 08:54 AM
Lord of the Arts
PA

Hails from United States
Re: Storage box

Own both a Dakota and a Heilman wood storage box. Both have lids with foam layer that keep pastels in place. Happy shopping. Pam
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastel65
Own both a Dakota and a Heilman wood storage box. Both have lids with foam layer that keep pastels in place. Happy shopping. Pam

Thanks Pam, I would hate to have to scramble all over the ground gathering up all the pastels
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2018, 01:43 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

The lid on my Dakota box is foam padded on the inside, so there's foam on both sides pressing them into place. It's pretty good. They don't get disarranged. Moving to San Francisco cracked a few and moving back cracked a few but I didn't lose anything into unusably small pieces.

Mine did lose all four rubber feet though, so next time around I will probably invest in a Heilman.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

Last edited by robertsloan2 : 02-03-2018 at 02:03 PM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2018, 06:09 PM
Enthusiast

If you are on a budget you can turn pretty much any wooden box into a pastel box that can be closed when full of pastels by adding some removable panels with rotating framing turn buttons that hold them in place and some foam padding. My last one cost me under $15 complete and has been working well for 3 years.

https://www.amazon.com/Shappy-Pieces...+buttons&psc=1

I have built them from on sale $9-$15 wooden oil paint cases like the link below but cheaper still, using small cardboard pastel boxes to divide up the open top half with 1/8" "Masonite" hardboard or 1/8" or 1/4" birch plywood for the retaining covers. You can also use strips of thin wood to further divide the top or the bottom. Add foam as needed to protect the pastels so they don't rattle. Cut the hardboard so it just fits inside the box frame, flush with the top edges. Stagger the turn buttons so they are not opposite each other on each half of the box, then cut a little notch on the other side so the lid will close fully. If the frame of the box doesn't allow the top to lay flat, they can easily be modified by removing any tabs that prevent that.

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Supp...oden+paint+box
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2018, 01:45 AM

Thanks for all of your replies to my post
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2018, 04:17 PM

I recently purchased a large pastel box from Jacksonsart in England. It is about the same size as the large Dakota box. This one cost me around $65 at the time of my purchase. It is very similar to the Dakota, but it certainly is not as well made. I will use it in studio, but I will not carry it in the field. It lacks memory foam and uses a light cellular foam. There are covers for the pastels on each side of the box when opened. These are secured with rotating clips like the Dakota. The clips are not as substantial and the covers were not tight fitting. No foam glued to these. You just have an extra piece of foam to lay over the pastels before you secure the covers. The external part of the box has two small hinges like the Dakota. The wood sides are joined with "finger" joints. The top and bottom appears to 1/8" birch secured to the sides. With a couple of changes, it will be fine for home. The Dakota is better made though and worth the money. I also have a Heilman Briefcase which is better made than either of these and well worth the money. A piano hinge runs along the entire side of the box. It truly is a matter of choice and economy, but sometimes cheaper just doesn't work the best. Hope this helps.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2018, 12:48 AM

Thanks for that fine information. I might dust off my woodworking tools and give it a try. There are a lot of containers that might be worth modifying as a project.