WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: How do you prefer to learn watercolor?
Written tutorials with pics, and/or print books 12 25.53%
Videos please, on Youtube or DVDs 22 46.81%
In between - a writeup enhanced with short video demos 6 12.77%
I prefer classes/workshops with the instructor live in person 7 14.89%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2018, 11:50 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Behind the Orange Curtain

Hails from United States
Question Do you prefer words or video for learning watercolor?

I've mentioned a few times here that I don't learn well from videos. Seeing techniques is great, but my hearing does not work well, so listening to a voice explain key points is challenging. A page of words/pics is much easier to digest! But that's me. How about you?

Just curious whether others prefer written tutorials (with pics of course) or get more out of watching someone demonstrate techniques on a video, or live-in-person.

Bear in mind, I'm not asking which method you think is the best way for everyone to learn watercolor - but rather, which way works best for you as an individual?

Last edited by Cyntada : 01-28-2018 at 12:13 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2018, 12:20 AM
Kolkata

Hails from India
Re: Do you prefer words or video for learning watercolor?

I prefer videos, there's the entertainment factor! As for actually learning watercolor, I seem to only learn when I actually paint Of course, reading a few lines or watching a demo opens up the idea of a new technique, but I can neither accomplish it, nor remember it for long, unless I try experimenting the idea my own way... usually many times over with lots of failures in between...

As an example... I knew (know?) that pigment water ratio (the watercolor clock) is important, and it should be like this or that and yadda yadda yadda.... But, without endless trials and failures, all that advice would really have achieved nothing, for me. And now, I can't really recall the watercolor clock properly, but my washes don't work out too bad.

My memory resides in my arm, if I can articulate it with my lips, I forget
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2018, 03:32 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

Videos of course, but live demos are better, you can ask questions.

Doug
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2018, 05:32 AM

While I love a YouTube video and have a huge collection of books and copious notes I think workshops are the best way to learn because

a) as Doug says you can ask questions
b) you actually do your own painting there and then and can get feedback
c) you can learn a lot from the other participants.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2018, 05:38 AM

Exotic colors are often paired with an opaque body color called gouache and the basic technique for watercolor painting is the use of complementary racing and glass. The former keeps the color under a solid field when the next acts as a screen, causing the smoke to become gray.....................
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2018, 07:09 AM
WC! Guide
Edinburgh

Words and pictures for me. With a book I can pick it up whenever I want, go at my own pace, make notes around the edges (yes I write in my books). I have too short an attention span when it comes to videos, I can't just sit and watch, I start looking round and doing things. There are some fantastic videos on Youtube but if they are longer than 10 minutes long I start to struggle.

I've never done a watercolour class, as much as I would love to they all tend to be on weekdays which is not possible for me.

The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do - Rowland Emett
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2018, 07:43 AM
Enthusiast
New York

Hails from United States

When I first started with watercolors in 1990, books or live demos were pretty much the only way to learn. At the time, I relied on books. I drifted away from painting in the late '90s, as life seemed to get in the way. However, after retirement in 2014, I got back into it, and video opened up a whole new way of learning. For me, seeing something being done as it's explained, really let's it sink in. I generally take more away from watching videos than reading books.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." ...Benjamin Franklin
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2018, 08:48 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from Greece

None. I've abandoned a long time ago the bad habit of reading tutorials or watching videos etc, when I realized that each and every artist presents his or her own technique and style of painting, that if I try to replicate it I will mess up my own style and technique.
As I'm trying to develop my own unique style, that had to be compromised multiple times according to the demands of the clients of the ad company that I worked in the past full time, I avoid to read, watch and replicate other people's techniques. I in purpose ignore such tutorials.

When I read tutorials or watch videos I do it for informative reasons, in a fast track mode without bothering to think and digest what is going on there and without trying to put in an order or keep notes of what I read or watched. Just from curiosity.

My opinion is that at the moment you start thinking what someone else did , subliminally you get influenced and you try to change something on your painting style something that you naturally wouldn't do if you didn't have access to this information.

That is the reason why I don't make my own tutorials on whatever has to do with painting techniques ( how to paint something etc) and I don't consider myself as a good teacher, because I paint whatever comes in mind according to my mood or the inspiration of the moment and no one can persuade me that the one or the other technique applied on my own paintings will enhance them for the better or the worst.
If someone asks me something technical in its nature, for instance how to mix the one or the other hue etc I'm glad to provide such information, because due to my studies and work experience I have tried or worked on many different techniques, but I provide these information more in the style of "recipes" and not in the style of tutorials that would affect someone else's painting style.

I believe that fine art is all about self expression and by the time that the chapter "full time day job" ended for me, ( something that I found very liberating I have to admit ) there is no chance to go back to it and bother with other people's ways or opinions, which have of course every right to express and teach and I appreciate that by their side, but I don't consider suitable for me and my current state of mind.

If I have a query or something on a particular technical problem I prefer to ask for information about this particular thing several individual people, I evaluate the answers and depending again what I want to achieve, I use something or not. But usually I don't.

In the same manner, I don't think that I would be ever able to follow any workshop, because these are the epitome of following someone else's step by step creative process which again is impossible to match with my creative process, and generally speaking with anyone else's existed because each and every artist paints from his or her self and by him or her self.

It is very personal, that's what I mean. Is like teaching someone how to have sex to get an idea.There is no chance that someone can teach you how to do it. You are going to figure it out by yourself if your intention is to express your true self.

The above of course is my own approach to the matter.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triduana
Words and pictures for me. With a book I can pick it up whenever I want, go at my own pace, make notes around the edges (yes I write in my books). I have too short an attention span when it comes to videos, I can't just sit and watch, I start looking round and doing things. There are some fantastic videos on Youtube but if they are longer than 10 minutes long I start to struggle.

I've never done a watercolour class, as much as I would love to they all tend to be on weekdays which is not possible for me.

I'm glad someone else feels that way. I squirm through them all.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2018, 10:42 AM
A Local Legend
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States

The research on adult learning suggests many adults prefer, and learn best, through practical exercises, i.e., learning by doing. This is why watercolor classes are often one of the best learning environments, plus there's instant feedback from the teacher and additional learning opportunities by watching what other students do.

Of course, every adult has their own preferred learning environment, and no two adults may be exactly alike.

Learning on one's own, through trial and error, and trying to individually assess one's own work, may be very challenging and frustrating, especially for early painters.

Sling paint,
Virgil
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2018, 01:37 PM
Behind the Orange Curtain

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorpal
I'm glad someone else feels that way. I squirm through them all.

The only way I can get all the audio is to shut out all other distractions, which generally means closing my eyes… at which point there's no point in having a video! I have the same problem with audiobooks. I was double-teaming a novel by reading in the evenings and listening to the next chapter via audiobook at work. In the evening I'd scan what I listened to. It was amazing how much I missed.

For the record, videos that are visual only with no voiceover do work for me, though most people would find that incomplete. I often turn the sound off. Just watching someone paint is usually enough.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2018, 03:39 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

I had 1 watercolor college class 43 years ago where we covered the basics with a chinese brush and a box of prang paints. We learned about stretching paper, wet on wet, dry brush, masking, those sorts of things. I have never read any watercolor books. Occasionally I will watch a few minutes of a painting video and find it interesting to see how others approach painting. As stated above- "just watching someone paint is usually enough." I don't have the patience to sit and watch or use them as lessons. Looking at artists' websites and exploring their paintings and writings, and of course miles on brushes is what helps me learn new things. I paint for my own pleasure not for anyone else. I explore the topics and techniques that interest me in my own time. So for me I learn by:
1. Painting
2. Looking at other artist's work
3. Reading -when it comes to technical aspects (example Handprint, and Watercolor forum) or seeing how other artists' answer questions and solve problems.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2018, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Oregon City

Hails from United States

I like videos myself, because I can see what is happening and if the teacher is good they can give detailed explanations as they work.

Being in my 50's and just starting out, my mind is a bit too rigid to just go off on my own and learn everything. I need a little gentle prodding to get me going in the right direction.

I have been watching the "Mind of Watercolor" videos on Youtube. Great lessons for beginners (all levels actually), and the instructor really teaches on learning the techniques to develop your own style.

Hope to find some workshops around my area when spring gets around.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2018, 04:51 PM
Houston, Texas

Hails from United States

For me, working through exercises from books, making up an imaginary scene, this approach suits me best. I don't practice specific techniques in isolation, only within the context of a real painting. More fun that way. DVDs and you tube demos are for me just entertainment. I don't really learn much from these, maybe just a tip or interesting idea sometimes.

One thing I do is carefully study paintings I admire, trying to work out what the artist was thinking in terms of composition, tones, color harmony. The principles of design will always be my best friend. I plan to learn them well !

While learning, I also don't mind copying the style of artist's I admire. Even they stand on the shoulders of past masters and we see that influence passed down through the generations.

Cheers,
Joe
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2018, 11:19 PM
Nevada

Hails from United States

If I had the money, I would like live workshops so I could get immediate feedback, but ............. I find they're very expensive for me. So next best for me is DVDs or You.tube videos. Of course, really doing paintings is necessary! Every video or DVD has something in it that I can use.

Shirley2