WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2018, 10:22 PM
Enthusiast
Evansville, Indiana, USA

Hails from United States
A Few Sketches

Hi, all.

I've been getting back into pen and ink and thought I'd post a few sketches in hopes of getting some feedback on style, etc. They are all so different and I'm curious as to which you might find most effective.

These were drawn in sketchbooks I bound with Stonehenge paper. All but the pumping unit are about 5-1/2" x 8-1/2". The pumping unit is about 7-1/2" by 9-1/2". Pens, ink, and photo credits (where applicable) are noted on the sketches.

Criticism and observations are always appreciated.

Cheers,

Herb

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2018, 11:19 PM
Lord of the Arts

Re: A Few Sketches

Well done, these all suggest to me you are not new to drawing.. right?

Anyway, the pumping unit is my favorite.. fabulous... showing a well-versed feel for texture, tone, composition... even a bit of vignetting.

cheers
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2018, 11:20 AM
Enthusiast

Natural subjects are to my personal taste so the Northern flicker caught my eye.
The use of the Lexington grey added much subtlety but it is still 100% a pen line drawing.
You mention the Falcon soft nib EF , how much line variation can you tease out of it ?
Mike
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2018, 10:18 PM
Enthusiast
Evansville, Indiana, USA

Hails from United States

Thanks, Batman55. Yeah. Been learning to draw for about 15 years. Only about 98 more to go. Ha! I had fun with perspective on the pumping unit. Wish the gravel looked more like gravel than a pile of leaves. Ha!

Thanks, Mike. I was mostly pleased with the Flicker effort...got a little sloppy here and there. I didn't think I was getting as much flex from the Pilot Falcon SEF as I'd expected until I did this comparison. Not too bad for a modern fountain pen. (I've never used a vintage fountain pen.)

My Noodler's Konrad Ebonite (not shown) provides a wider fine line and about the same thick line width but its feed is unreliable and, frankly, a pain in the behind. So, I'm happy with my investment in the Pilot. It's been very reliable so far and seems well made.

The Pilot sample below is with Lexington Gray ink as I was too lazy to re-ink it. It feathered a bit on the Stonehenge. I switched to Platinum Carbon Black for the dip pens as the Lexington Gray seems too "thin" for dip pens.

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2018, 02:45 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for that comparison Herb, it does look like you get a lot of width variation looking at it !
The old flex fountain pens were reported to have a load available but they just don't male them like that nowadays.
I've got a Konrad but find it takes a touch like an engraver to make it flex much ! Never mind I love the super fine line you get off the back of the nib for light hatching & fading distance sort of stuff.
You mention Noodlers Lexington grey quite a bit - I know very well why you would like it BUT are you aware of it's deserved reputation for ruining fountain pens ? It does depend on what plastic the manufacturer uses as to how fast or even whether it happens at all , but be warned.
Cheers Mike
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2018, 06:20 PM
Enthusiast
Evansville, Indiana, USA

Hails from United States

Thanks for that information, Mike. The only negative Iíve heard is that it feathers on some papers. Iím definitely going to check it out. May not be much to some folks but I thought long and hard before I plunked down $155 for a fountain pen. Iíd hate to ruin it. Iím worried enough about dropping it. Ha!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2018, 11:31 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

The flicker is my favorite. More like a painting.