WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2018, 02:30 AM

Hails from United States
info on Ann Rea / Artists Who Thrive?

I'm back after a long break.

I get e-mails from, and I follow on Facebook, an art marketing person who claims to have different ways of doing really well as an artist. Ann Rea (dba Artists Who Thrive) gives seminars and says the artists must be able to make back the cost of the seminar and then some from art sales.

Problem is: she never hints at what the artists do. She's down on galleries and competitions, but she never gets into what she has her students do. Asking her didn't help -- she just posted some links that say what she's been saying all along. It does sound like she helps develop a community of artists who, I assume, help each other.

So -- does N-E-1 have any information about her? Have you tried her methods; if so did it work for you or not?

(I'll admit -- I'm a suspicious / skeptical type!)
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2018, 09:07 AM
A WC! Legend
Gainesville, Fl USA

Hails from United States
Re: info on Ann Rea / Artists Who Thrive?

Every artist who wants to make money off other artists makes these claims. I would ask to see a list of references from her with contact information. Check out these people and see how much they are selling. I do wonder at this kind of claim. If she were making hand over fist money selling art, why would she need to profit off other artists by selling marketing information?
https://lindablondheim.com/classes-art-tutorials/
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2018, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member

She's selling HOPE, the easiest product to market to vain, insecure and hopeful artists who just know that with the right bit of info, they will paint a $100K paining and be able to retire to that little cabin beside the gurgling trout stream in the mountains.

Seriously, if you want to learn something, pick out a known artist -- Daniel Greene, Santos, someone like that -- and learn what they teach. Better yet, buy some of their instructional videos. In some ways, I like the videos better. You pay only for the video, and not a week on the road plus the big fee for being there. And, you can watch that video over and over again.

Daniel Greene, in the marketing section of his week long workshop, gave some really simple advice: In the beginning, charge so little they'll have to buy. As you become known, and demand for your work goes up, control your work load by raising prices.

And in today's market, there are several social media you can use.

Just a few thoughts.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2018, 01:20 PM
Enthusiast

Many "how to make money in art" seminars or at least excerpts are online. The money to be made is not as the artist but the ones running the seminar. During the gold rush of 1849 the ones who got rich were the men selling the shovels and picks not the prospectors looking for gold.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2018, 01:59 AM

Hails from United States

Thanks, everyone. As i suspected, art marketing seminars often aren't that original -- "nothing new under the sun" kind of stuff -- and even if they did succeed as artists themselves, the seminars, books etc are more about making money themselves than really helping the other, struggling artists (like me)!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2018, 06:15 PM
Dayton, OH, US

Hails from United States

Mark,

Have you watched any of Ann Rea's videos? She has done many interviews with her students and that may give you an idea of what her students do. You could go directly to those students and ask them what they think.

I suspect for the most part, Ann Rea's students/clients are doing well as long as they act on what they're taught.

If you're skeptical of Ann Rea, check out Alyson Stanfield. Alyson will communicate with you if you ask her questions. (I have no connection with Alyson - I've just been following her for a few years)

She has free mini-courses you could look at and she has a book. She blogs regularly and you can learn a lot just by reading her blog. The blog will give you an idea of what the students are doing - which addresses your original question.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2018, 10:24 AM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

I just checked out her website, and she does have a bunch of pages to read that are free. It looks like she is simply a business coach for artists, which I think is okay. Most artists don't have a business-like approach to their art, so listening to a business coach can be helpful. I have been following a business coach who specializes in working with artists and creative people for the past couple of years, and it has been a real help to me. And I have not had to pay him anything. So they aren't all gougers. But I'm sure some of them are full of baloney, just like any field.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2018, 10:47 AM
Dayton, OH, US

Hails from United States

Other artist marketing coaches/consultants I should mention who I would consider trusting:

-- Paul Klein
-- Catherine Orer
-- Owen Garratt
-- Barney Davey
-- Cory Huff

Harold, if you don't mind sharing, who is it you're following?
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2018, 06:53 PM

Hails from United States

Thanks, Harold and chantz 2011. I agree that art business coaches can be worthwhile. But I wish Ann (and others) would say a little bit more about what, if anything, makes their approach different from all of the other books, magazine articles, seminars etc. that I've already invested in. I wouldn't expect detailed info on what they teach -- after all they have a right to charge for their teaching. But after spending so much in the past on how to make $$$ at art, I'd like to know if Ann Rea shares anything innovative and not just a rehash of what I've already heard.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2018, 07:06 PM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by chantz_2011
Harold, if you don't mind sharing, who is it you're following?
Fabeku Fatunmise:

https://www.fabeku.com/

He has a private group on FB that I belong to called the Boom Brigade. This guy's advice has really helped me with my art.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2018, 04:58 AM
In the middle of a forest :).

Hails from Netherlands

I bought her 10 dollar (?) pdf and it's a collection of 6 business plans with a page of her business plan questions in between.

Basically, what she's saying is: Think about why you want to make art (what drives you). Then think about who your customer is, and what they need that you can sell. When you've discovered this, create some yearly goals for yourself and think of strategies to meet those targets.

Example in her pdf:

Ann Rea herself loves how the light changes from hour to hour, so she wanted to paint landscapes. Her customers are wine sellers and buyers. The paintings she makes are landscapes of the wineries. To sell them, she works together with the sellers (who would love to have paintings of their business) and attends wine tastings where she offers her paintings to loyal customers of a wine brand.

It was very 'yeah... duh' for me. There was nothing new for me: This is all stuff you can find on the internet for free. I was searching for information on how you turn a business plan to action. Instead, she only focuses on the first and doesn't explain the next steps and doesn't hint in her pdf that her course is going to be anything more. So, I steered away from her website.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2018, 02:38 PM
Enthusiast

Art seminars are similar to real estate seminars. They present basic business information along with inspirational speeches. The student who paid hundreds to attend the seminar could have simply bought a book on the subject but would have missed out on the inspiration gained from the group participation. Once the euphoria wears off, the reality of business sets in. Selling art is not a formula but a long process of learning, making art, meeting other artists and buyers, improving art/people/business skills, gaining exposure, growing and keeping your client base. After all of this, it is important to understand that selling art is not that difficult but making a real living from art is difficult. At times of discouragement which are inevitable, artists will then look for inspiration to grow the business. That is why seminar organizers make more money than the artists they teach because they sell inspiration but not much more. I would highly recommend investing in a few good books on "Business of Art ", "Negotiating a Deal", "Copyright Protection", and "Contract Basics". Inspiration can come from many places and usually is free.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2018, 05:48 PM
Enthusiast

I get her emails. They sometimes have useful information in them, and they are free. She of course wants me to buy her paid content.

I have not found most content in "art marketing" to different from general marketing content. Small Bussiness Development Centers and teh like often provide free help to small businesses in writing business plans, developing marketing etc.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2018, 09:54 PM
Dayton, OH, US

Hails from United States

Quote:
...I wish Ann (and others) would say a little bit more about what, if anything, makes their approach different from all of the other books, magazine articles, seminars etc. that I've already invested in.

Every artist marketing coach/consultant has different areas of strengths, styles, approaches, etc.

Since you're asking what Ann and others are doing differently (which is a great question) compared to the books, articles, and seminars, it would help if we knew which books you've read. Also, what are the general principles and methods of the articles and seminars you've experienced?

Quote:
But after spending so much in the past on how to make $$$ at art, I'd like to know if Ann Rea shares anything innovative and not just a rehash of what I've already heard.

If you've asked Ann Rea and she didn't satisfactorily address your questions, I'd investigate elsewhere. As I wrote above, Alyson Stanfield is very responsive and she would probably tell you what you need to know to make an informed decision.

Read Alyson's blog posts. She has 13 years' worth of weekly posts and they're a gold mine of practical hints, tips, methods, and best practices - not only from her personal experience, but from the experience of the many students she has taught over the years.

Last edited by chantz_2011 : 01-29-2018 at 10:09 PM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2018, 10:02 PM
Dayton, OH, US

Hails from United States

Harold Roth wrote:

Quote:
Fabeku Fatunmise:

https://www.fabeku.com/

Thank you, Harold. I'm glad I asked. I hadn't heard of him and he definitely has a distinct, fun style.