WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Palette Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2018, 04:58 PM

Travel WC pad

Hi Guys, Gals,
Any body know what is the BEST WC pad?
I use Saunders Waterford in the studio but can not find a fine WC paper pad for travel.
Got an answer?
Thanks
Bill
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2018, 06:11 PM
A Local Legend
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States
Re: Travel WC pad

Posted an answer to your question in The Learning Zone. Hope it helps.

Perhaps best to post in one or the other of the two forums?

Sling paint,
Virgil
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2018, 01:33 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

I use decent 5x7 landscape format sketchbooks. It is important that the paper must accept watercolour well.

Doug
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2018, 03:48 AM
Enthusiast

Arches makes a travel watercolour sketchpad. Costs a bit though. I have not bought one yet. I make my own with loose leaf rings, also called binder rings.
Take your favourite watercolour paper and cut/tear to your favourite size. Make front and back side. Punch two holes and put the rings through. And you have a lovely watercolour pad ready to go.

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2018, 04:20 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

Check out the youtube videos from Parka Blogs, he often does reviews of sketchbooks.

Doug
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2018, 06:18 AM
Enthusiast

That is a really good source for reviews on lots of art supplies for watercolours and sketching. There are also written reviews in the blog
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2018, 09:22 AM

Sketchbooks?

I use all variety of Stillman and Birn. The heavier Beta, Delta, and Zeta varieties take paint well. They aren't cotton, so you have to adjust a bit but there's plenty you can do on them.

I know some who swear by the Hahnemuhle watercolor books, but I have yet to use them.

Pads/Blocks?

I get Arches pads from Blick and they are affordable if you either get them online or have a preferred customer card. 9 x 12 usually goes for $10.40. As for blocks, both Stonehenge Aqua and Blick Premiere Studio are very affordable in the 7 x 10 size.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2018, 10:37 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from Greece

What paper you'll use depends on what is your painting style.
The best though and most affordable thing you can do is to buy the paper of you choice and bind it yourself, either with one of the own made ways that were suggested above or by binding it at at a printing/photo copy store with a regular metallic spiral.
You might find your favourite paper in ready made blocks too, but this has a lot to do with WHAT is your favourite paper. If you prefer a paper that is not so popular then binding it your self in blocks or pads is the only solution and the one that will cover you needs better.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2018, 04:48 PM

Thanks Ya All
B
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2018, 05:47 AM
Immortalized
"" Lincoln, Ontario""

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerva C
Arches makes a travel watercolour sketchpad. Costs a bit though. I have not bought one yet. I make my own with loose leaf rings, also called binder rings.
Take your favourite watercolour paper and cut/tear to your favourite size. Make front and back side. Punch two holes and put the rings through. And you have a lovely watercolour pad ready to go.

Done that couple of times.

Best thing is if you do it right.. Pages lay FLAT !

I used old shoe lace's. Could not find any rings.

Johnnie

"Every Day Is A Great Day, Some Are Just Better Than Others."
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2018, 08:43 PM
Christchurch, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

I just found this thread and I'm glad I did. I have been trying to find a way to easily bind my Simili Japon paper into a sketchbook. I had it all cut down to size by a local shop. I purchased 25 full size sheets which were either single or double elephant size. Too big to handle myself! Here is the results of binder rings, leather scraps. The paper is now about A5 and the book slightly larger.

Name:  2018-01-28 14.29.42.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  88.5 KB
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2018, 09:09 PM
A WC! Legend

Personally, I like the kind of watercolor block that is glued on all 4 sides to prevent wrinkling and warping from using water in your painting. It's great for travel...grab and go!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2018, 04:00 AM
Enthusiast

When I use pads och sketchbooks for watercolour I use an elstic rubber band to prevent warping. Works fine.
Very nice sketchbook Zenica.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2018, 08:33 AM
New York

Hails from United States

I used to buy the Arches spiral bound field books, but they've been discontinued.
Recently I've been using the Stillman and Birn Delta (Ivory) & Beta (bright white) sketchbooks with 140lb paper. The landscape version is 5.5 x 8.5 inches and are are generally around $15. The paper handles washes well, but does handle differently than my usual Arches paper. I know many people here make their own, so I decided to try my hand using an Arches watercolor pad (around $10.) Since I wanted a spiral which could open flat, I bought some cinch book binding wires (i inch diameter) from Amazon. A pack of 2- 11 inch long wires cost $2.11 and will provide enough for 4 field books of this size.
I cut the 9 x 12 pad in half, making two 9 X 6 pads, of 12 sheets each. Then punched holes in the short 6 inch side of the paper to match the book binding wire. I cut the wire to 5.5 inches wide and inserted it into the punched paper.
Now I have my Arches paper in a spiral homemade field book.
It may not be worth the time and effort for some, but if you want a spiral Arches
landscape field book like I did, this worked perfectly. And if you want to vary the size, loose sheets would serve perfectly.

Last edited by MLHarvey : 02-06-2018 at 08:41 AM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2018, 01:11 AM
Tacoma, Washington

Hails from United States

I like Pentalic 5x8 landscape format sketchbooks. They're about $13 on Amazon, the paper is 140 pound cold press, and they lie flat when open. They have a good tooth texture on both sides of the paper instead of one kind on the front and another on the back like some other papers.

I ordered a Strathmore block and the paper still warped somewhat even before I cut it off the block. It stayed that way when dry, also. I don't think Strathmore is a particularly artist quality but I usually buy the best I can afford, giving credit to the fact that I'm not a professional artist and am not selling anything. I like to have something good and not child quality supplies rather than going to either extreme.