WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2018, 04:21 PM
Lord of the Arts
Asheville NC

Hails from United States
the cerebral backlog

Do you have images in your mind, that have been locked away for years, or even decades, that have not managed to make it into paint / drawing / whatever it is you do?

I find that a lot of my provisional answers to the question, "why paint anything at all?" take me back to artistic concerns and themes much earlier in my life. Things where I started down some road, then stopped for some reason. Hard to recall why. Life events in some cases. In other cases, I tried something and didn't get very far with it, due to lack of some specific skill. And for some reason I didn't "soldier through it" to acquire the needed skill. Which is probably "life events" yet again. Not easy enough to do, for where I was at in my life at the time.

But if an image persists in my mind for 2..3 decades, then something about it must not suck.

Sometimes the paintings I did, remind me of the paintings I didn't.

Last edited by bvanevery : 01-21-2018 at 04:24 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2018, 08:09 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada
Re: the cerebral backlog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanevery
Do you have images in your mind, that have been locked away for years, or even decades, that have not managed to make it into paint / drawing / whatever it is you do?
nope, i've let them all out to play

I find that a lot of my provisional answers to the question, "why paint anything at all?"
i'm kind of there now, and yet i still paint

take me back to artistic concerns and themes much earlier in my life. Things where I started down some road, then stopped for some reason. Hard to recall why. Life events in some cases. In other cases, I tried something and didn't get very far with it, due to lack of some specific skill. And for some reason I didn't "soldier through it" to acquire the needed skill. Which is probably "life events" yet again. Not easy enough to do, for where I was at in my life at the time.

But if an image persists in my mind for 2..3 decades, then something about it must not suck.

cannot relate, tho there's plenty of things i didn't 'soldier through with', yet. time is still mine; location is not, yet.

Sometimes the paintings I did, remind me of the paintings I didn't.

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Nigerian
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2018, 12:23 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
The Land of Enchantment

Hails from United States

I take this to mean "being inspired by" (fill in the blank). I tend to think that experiences layer on top of each other, creating a totality of learning which creates your singular style/voice, or theme, attitude.

I am sure there are people or artists who are "haunted" by some scene or thing they saw, and then obsessively re-create this thing.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2018, 02:08 PM
Lord of the Arts
Asheville NC

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Use Her Name
I am sure there are people or artists who are "haunted" by some scene or thing they saw, and then obsessively re-create this thing.

1 of the images / themes in my mind is like that. I have seen it in the sense that I've seen a painting which resembles it. After seeing the original painting, my mind probably made its own versions of the subject matter. The image has always been in my mind, it's not something I've seen in real life. It is of a mildewy drain fixture of some kind, very dark, an oppressive humid atmosphere. Variations are channels of water with murky flows. It's surreal and psychological, a dark corner of the mind. I actually did try to paint it a long time ago, and didn't have the skill to come even remotely close to the image in my mind. So at some point I will try again.

Other images are just persistent abstractions from long ago and aren't "hauntings". Does a haunting require impingement upon the psychological? Not like there isn't any psychological material to the abstractions, but the "murk" images are much more directly and obviously about some mood of the mind.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2018, 02:29 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
The Land of Enchantment

Hails from United States

Hmmm. Interesting. I see haunting as a psychological thing (I don't believe in ghosts).

It sounds like it would make a good subject for a series of pictures. Find it. I remember (off the topic a bit) an article about a naturalist or biologist who saw a very endangered and assumed extinct pica (small rodent) for just a split second on some mountain. He searched and searched for 20 years, but never found it. One day, he looked up, and there it was (another one, of course).

I don't know everything, and thus cannot say if things like "hauntings" exist or not, so maybe you are being directed to look for this thing? Art is a very unusual field, and I don't see why not.

Edited to state: I know it is a contradiction: I do not believe in ghosts, but I admit that they could exist, I am more 90% certain that they do not, however, I could be wrong.

Last edited by Use Her Name : 01-23-2018 at 02:31 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2018, 04:02 PM
Lord of the Arts
Asheville NC

Hails from United States

I'm 100% certain ghosts do not exist. The idea of a ghost is based on people's wish to believe there's something "for them" after they die, even if it's a sucky existence. I'm also 100% certain there are plenty of natural phenomena that people can misinterpret as a ghost. Ghosts are used culturally in many societies as sites of communication and stress about the social order. Bad things are happening in the society, they are caused by "ghosts". Something was done wrong in the society, i.e. a murder, so a ghost exists as an attempt to gain justice. It's a way for people to symbolize and contemplate what they are stressed out about.

I only use the word "haunting" in the psychological sense, of a persistent creepy memory that doesn't go away.

Clearest evidence to me that there are no ghosts, is to contemplate the vast number of ghosts that would exist in any given populated area, if in fact they were real. You'd be tripping over ghosts, given the piles and piles of people that have died.

Ditto reincarnation. How many people have you run into, when asked what they were in a past life, answered "a little of this, a little of that" ? Nope, it's always some ego boost about how famous and important they were. It's wish fulfillment, nothing more.

Last edited by bvanevery : 01-23-2018 at 04:16 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2018, 11:32 AM
Immortalized
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Hails from Canada

Quote:

No. If I have a visual idea that persists in my mind for a few days, I'll sketch it out and then continue to develop it as long as it seems worthwhile, stop when I feel I've taken that specific idea as far as it can go. That leads to a lot of work getting trashed partway through the process, or even after completion of the picture, but I'm OK with that. It's not until an idea is made real in the world that one can understand its value.

Quote:
I find that a lot of my provisional answers to the question, "why paint anything at all?" take me back to artistic concerns and themes much earlier in my life.
Things where I started down some road, then stopped for some reason. Hard to recall why. Life events in some cases. In other cases, I tried something and didn't get very far with it, due to lack of some specific skill. And for some reason I didn't "soldier through it" to acquire the needed skill. Which is probably "life events" yet again. Not easy enough to do, for where I was at in my life at the time.

I guess those are concerns I don't have. Making art - as well as a lot of other things, from doing math to raising children - is for me a process of exploration and discovery. Which in turn is probably mostly about just opening oneself up to being alive. You do that with whatever material happens to be at hand, and you pick up the skills you need by doing what needs to be done.

Cheers;
Chris
The primary palette: Attention, observation, memory, imagination, integration, execution
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2018, 10:39 AM
A WC! Legend

Quote:

yes

sometimes because these images are lower on a priority scale

sometimes because of an earlier attempt/discouragement