WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2018, 08:20 PM
Lord of the Arts
Asheville NC

Hails from United States
The reality-based portion of the mind

I found another thread a bit grim, so I thought I'd start another one. Borne of a thought while going to the kitchen.

I've had my head in computer nonsense all day. Trying to get Linux to run off a 8 GB USB stick, on an old laptop that doesn't want to do it well, if you must know. I think I'm approaching the 24 hour mark of the project. It yields soon or I'm declaring it a goner.

I brought 2 glasses from upstairs to the downstairs, intending them for the dishwasher. My hand felt tired as I was bringing them downstairs. I thought, "Why don't I just drop them?" That's a very strange, far away, computer-brain driven sort of thought, I think.

"Because then you'd have to clean up the broken pieces", another part of my brain answered. "Your Mom would get mad", chimed in a 3rd part. It's her house, her glasses, her floor, and she doesn't like messes. An accident is one thing, but why would I deliberately break her glasses?

So my conscious self resolved to hold the glasses tightly and not slip up. Another course of action may have been, to never have brought them downstairs with me in the 1st place. If my hand is tired and not up to carrying things, why am I doing it? "To keep things neater" comes the faraway brain answer.

Pretty much the whole time this subtext is going on in my head, 3 more important matters are occupying my attention. 1) the next logical step in solving the computer problem. I am multitasking. 2) coffee and high end baklava. 3) my dog, who is on the landing as I walk by. I love my dog!

Have you ever wondered, when driving a car, why people don't just suddenly turn the wheel and go "YAAAAAAGHHH!!!" plowing right into each other? Or go off guard rails or embankments? Instead we just whiz right by each other, a few feet from utter chaos and destruction. We do it routinely, it's not that big a deal. Well unless one is getting tired, like my hand was.

Last edited by bvanevery : 01-10-2018 at 08:41 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2018, 09:19 PM
A WC! Legend
South West of England.

Hails from England
Re: The reality-based portion of the mind

I've run Linux from a USB stick, think it was Linux with the logo of a bird. I can run android from a USB stick on a laptop easily. The only problem is the android is touch driven and although it works with a mouse or touchpad, it's not very efficient.

Haven't you ever driven quite a distance looking in your rear view mirror and when you decide to look out of the front window wonder, how did I get this far without crashing?

Psychologically, people tend to walk straight toward each other regardless of space, usually moving out of the way at the last moment. Kind of like playing subconscious chicken. Observe next time you are walking toward someone.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2018, 09:33 PM
Lord of the Arts
Asheville NC

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianuk
and although it works with a mouse or touchpad, it's not very efficient.

I've got a complete lack of proper touchpad support on this 1 laptop, which unfortunately has the bright screen that would make it the logical candidate for digital media work. The mouse freezes badly every 5 seconds or so. Surely some ancient proprietary nonsense. I thought I had this machine working with Linux once upon a time. But it's possible I never did, and it was 2 other laptops that worked. Further installation shenanigans will tell.

Quote:
Haven't you ever driven quite a distance looking in your rear view mirror and when you decide to look out of the front window wonder, how did I get this far without crashing?

Not exactly. I've stared in the rear view mirror at night, and have wondered how we do the night vision thing, with the various glaring lights and reflective ghosts on the windshield, without going blind. I marvel at the ingeneuity of the old analog "double mirror" that is simply flipped with a mechanical tilter, to decrease the amount of light coming from behind.

Quote:
Psychologically, people tend to walk straight toward each other regardless of space, usually moving out of the way at the last moment. Kind of like playing subconscious chicken. Observe next time you are walking toward someone.

Doubt I need to observe! I'm often consciously practicing dodging people at the last minute, aikido / Russian style. Or unconsciously. I'm happy to say, in the past 2 decades my footwork has always been correct. The training time must have been worth something. One usually wants to end up past and facing the other person, and not with one's back turned to them. Presenting one's back is usually bad.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2018, 09:46 PM
A WC! Legend
South West of England.

Hails from England

When I was around 30 I did a Cobol programming course, it was quite a good one. I just did it to help me understand machine language, binary/hexadecimal stuff. I remember writing a wages program that was around ten or more A4 pages. The only thing it showed on an MS-DOS screen were the words, 'type in hours worked' that screen then disappeared. The new dialogue was 'type in rate' the next screen gave the wages. I remember adding to the structured database, excess hours, then the maths, if hours > than 40, multiply excess hours by 1.5 giving overtime. Something like that. That was laborious stuff. I wrote several programs, business orientated, then went back to working what I knew best.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2018, 09:53 PM
Lord of the Arts
Asheville NC

Hails from United States

Ah the good old days, when you could force the user to do it your way!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2018, 10:10 PM
A WC! Legend
South West of England.

Hails from England

At some point during every hour. I have the thought of painting. Should I paint oils on a small canvas I have? Should I do a watercolour and try to advance my watercolour technique? What should I paint? I'd need a larger canvas to paint contemporary or abstract. I'd have to mix with all the traffic going to the store where I buy canvases from too, so forget the contemporary/abstract.

I usually end up making a coffee or getting a snack, distract myself with texting or make a phone call, or if it's too late to call, as it is now, write more ephemera here.

I do the same with exercise. I think at times I procrastinate, but I only seem to do that with painting, never with work. Maybe it's because I've always viewed art as fun and work as more physically sapping. Funny how the mind works, or mine anyway.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2018, 10:23 PM
Lord of the Arts
Asheville NC

Hails from United States

Well recently I came to the conclusion that it would be practical for me to go back to drawing for awhile. So there, that's a suggestion! Not so many materials to acquire at a store. Got your basics and you're good for awhile.

How am I doing with that? Not so well, yet. I've allowed this "ancient crufty graphics tablet" idea to get in my way. But those things will pass soon enough, so I'm not worried. I think one will draw if one has a rational reason to draw. And I have 2.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2018, 10:51 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Hails from Canada

Unless I'm feeling very tired/brain fogged, I usually need a rational reason not to draw
Cheers;
Chris
Look for yourself, think for yourself, draw your own conclusions. Then own them.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2018, 09:59 AM
Lord of the Arts
Asheville NC

Hails from United States

Fairly often when I wake up from a dream, my mind and/or body are fogged as to what reality is. I may be needing to overcome something in order to physically move my arms or legs, or I may be struggling with some "dream logic" that isn't true in the real world. Especially with the latter, I find myself working with rules and logic that aren't basically true.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2018, 12:28 PM
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Hails from Canada

I think most people run into that from time to time, for example with realistic dreams of flying. My favourite illogical one though was a dream I had of a long ago girlfriend sitting on my lap, and my partner serving us all tea, and everyone having quite a cheerful time. Reality would have been quite a bit different

But getting back to your first point - about carrying out everyday tasks while working consciously on other things - I think it's all part of the learning instinct that's part of any living being with a brain (not to exclude others, but I've never spent much time thinking about the thought processes of bacteria or amoebae). With humans, you can more-or-less train the subconscious brain to coordinate and execute lots of routine tasks, leaving the conscious mind free for other things.

I first began thinking about that way back in adolescence when playing high school sports; one repeated drilled on tasks so that at critical points, you would respond well without conscious thought. But it applies to just about any learned task - driving, walking down the stairs holding a cup, spelling, math, languages, and (appropriate to this board) drawing and painting.

Cheers;
Chris
Look for yourself, think for yourself, draw your own conclusions. Then own them.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2018, 12:37 PM
Lord of the Arts
Asheville NC

Hails from United States

Another odd one that just occurred to me, is being gratuitously rude or obnoxious for no particular reason, no logical goal. Like what if I started saying horrible things and swearing as I write this response? There is no particular reason to do it, no benefit... but I also know it's because I'm following some reality-based rule learned long ago. One could do it, just as one could wreck a car by turning the wheel sideways. Some people acutally do run their mouths badly at people in a fairly random, unprovoked way, possibly due to mental illness, at other times due to emotional trauma or physical pain which they then direct at random bystanders.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2018, 12:57 PM
A WC! Legend
South West of England.

Hails from England

Languages are great to learn or recall in the thought process whilst carrying out other activities. I brush up on them while I'm applying a brush to the canvas. Languages probably take up most of my thought process, that and kicking bad habits.

I often call myself rude names in my thoughts.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2018, 04:39 PM
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Hails from Canada

bvanevery - I think that has to do with the interaction of the subconscious and executive function, in the sense that the subconscious is forever tossing up all kinds of (nearly random) propositions, and executive function acts on or discards those according circumstance.

To use your example of swearing - it's something I rarely do, particularly in company with whom I'm not totally relaxed. In that case there's a need to maintain a certain level of civil discourse. OTOH, I've been teased a number of times by models because when things are going really well in the studio, I'll be mumble-swearing and completely unaware of it.

So I tend to look at the issue not so much as being driven by some reality based rule, but rather in terms of when the self aware aspects of the brain, for one reason or another, lets control/filtering of the subconscious lapse. Jonathan Haidt compared the relationship of the conscious to subconscious as a rider to an elephant, and here the elephant has just taken control.

Where maybe the effect of reality-learned rules maybe plays a big part is when this sort of thing happens to people who have been in positions of power for a long time. You take someone with mildly narcissistic sociopathic tendencies - who tend to be the ones who rise to the top in public display oriented fields (CEOs, Hollywood, politics) anyway - their position allows them to exclude anyone critical of their behaviour, which in turn limits the feedback most of us usually get from others. That constant feedback is important for keeping executive functions tuned to others; take that away and you wind up with folks like Eliot Spitzer, Harvey Weinstein, Donald Trump, the Clintons, etc., etc.

Cheers;
Chris
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2018, 05:08 PM
A Local Legend
Costa Rica

Hails from Costa Rica

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianuk
I often call myself rude names in my thoughts.

Love that Ian

Okay, I probably shouldn't share this but I'm gonna anyway..

Sometimes hubby, daughter and I play a word game

It involves someone saying something really really rude (often genitalia based) then the next person has to top that with something equally rude or preferably worse, and so it goes on.

God we laugh, we howl with laughter at this game, because if you don't think too hard about it you can really come out with some appalling stuff.

"Life is far too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2018, 05:14 PM
Southern Delaware

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldwell.brobeck
bvanevery - I think that has to do with the interaction of the subconscious and executive function, in the sense that the subconscious is forever tossing up all kinds of (nearly random) propositions, and executive function acts on or discards those according circumstance.

Chris

Wondering how this executive function is programmed? How much of our behaviors are really conditioned responses?
Experience conditioned Bvanevery not to drop the glass since the punishment of having to clean it up and to deal with mom's wrath wasn't worth the reward of enjoying watching the glass smash on the floor and not having hand pain.

Maybe the example of the models teasing you is a mild form of conditioning. Society punishes certain behaviors and rewards other behaviors. Being socialized properly is really a matter of learning to conform through conditioning to avoid punishment.

☮✞AΩ☼ http://www.christophervasil.com

Last edited by Artchrispy : 01-11-2018 at 05:25 PM.