WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2018, 08:06 AM
Maryland. U.S.A.

Hails from United States
Best oils

I Buy oils tubes that are on sale in my local art store. Grumbacher, Windsor Newton, ect. I'm not having any problems with the paint . But I would like to upgrade as I replace them. What are some of the really good oils out there. Get's confusing when they all claim the same thing. Thank's.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2018, 10:58 AM
Enthusiast
Campbell River, BC Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: Best oils

You have listed 2 really great brands of oil paints. Always buy professional grade and you can mix and match until you find the ones that work for you. Try out many brands to get the feel of the paint on the canvas.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2018, 11:30 AM

Hails from United States

Hi there, have you tried Gamblin Artist's Oil Colors? I've mostly used Windsor & Newton and Grumbacher, but recently purchased a few of Gamblin's radiant colors just for fun. They're very creamy and I like them quite a bit, but I find their caps to lose their thread if you're not careful.

I'm curious about what other people have to say
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2018, 01:53 PM
Maryland. U.S.A.

Hails from United States

Thank's I did find some post's about oil paint here. But your right, I'll try a few to see what I like and what works for me.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2018, 07:13 AM
Enthusiast

You might search for some closeout pricing on the older line of the Lefranc & Bourgeois Extra Fine Artists Oil Colors. They have discontinued that line and have come out with a new series so the old line can be found discounted substantially in some places.

Jerry's currently has them on sale at 58% off. The Extra Fine series is comparable to the best oils you can buy from other makers.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2018, 03:49 PM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

I've been using M. Graham's Oil paints for several years, and I like them very much. The binder of these paints is Walnut Oil, and it is very user-friendly.

An alternative Walnut Oil paint is the brand I purchase from "The Art Treehouse". Their selection of colors is quite limited, but they are excellent paints, at very reasonable prices.

And, Grumbacher and Gamblin are also excellent paints for their prices. I used Grumbacher for years, until I began using Walnut-Oil bound paints.

I usually try to avoid Winsor & Newton. Much too pricey for their rather average, mediocre quality. And, W & N tend to be enthralled with
using Safflower Oil--either in conjunction with Linseed, or by itself. That is not my first choice for a binder.

Last edited by WFMartin : 01-05-2018 at 04:09 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2018, 04:25 PM
Maryland. U.S.A.

Hails from United States

Thank's all. I bought a couple of tubes of Gamblin. I'll try some of the M.Graham as soon as I get them. Tomorrow I'll work with the Gamblin to see how I like them.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2018, 05:32 PM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter1
Thank's all. I bought a couple of tubes of Gamblin. I'll try some of the M.Graham as soon as I get them. Tomorrow I'll work with the Gamblin to see how I like them.

I think Gamblin is a good choice. M. Graham paints tend to be a bit more fluid than some other oil paints, and many painters prefer a bit stiffer paint.

I don't usually require as much medium when I use M. Graham, or Art Treehouse paints, because they are a bit more fluid.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2018, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Just Outside Philadelphia

Hails from United States

What is the opinion here on the Utrecht brand?
I've heard mixed reviews. A few artists, whom I greatly admire, sing praises for the brand.
... and you can't argue about the cost. Very Affordable!!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2018, 02:27 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United Nations

I think it depends on your style, budget and accessibility. I use a mix of Rembrandt, Lefranc & Bourgeois and Old Holland. In France, these first two brands are pretty well priced and are sold everywhere. If I was in the US, I think Gamblin would be a great choice. If my budget allowed I would use even more Old Holland and I would also like to try Blockx.