WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2018, 10:46 AM
Enthusiast
Muncho Lake, BC, Canada

Hails from Canada
The Prodigy

Does it need background? Any other C & C would be welcome too!

Last edited by SherylG : 01-03-2018 at 10:51 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2018, 11:23 AM

Re: The Prodigy

This doesnt need a background imho, I think it is beautiful the way it is.

If you dont mind me asking, how much time did you spend on drawing this ?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2018, 11:58 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Brazil

Her skirt, make it vanish in a subtle way instead of an abrupt cut off. Tone down the borders.. with a keneaded eraser until the last marks are almost as light as the paper.

That makes the image more light (something would go well with a little lady)

You could (some would say should) decide on a focal point and make it sharper and with a bit more contrast. You might want to be her face.. or her hand on the violin... for example

The hair and head and back of the violin are rendered better than her arm skin and dress. You could revisit those areas to make them a bit more smooth covered.
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2018, 03:37 PM
Enthusiast
Muncho Lake, BC, Canada

Hails from Canada

Old Masters, Thank you! I don't know how many hours. I work on them off and on, here and there when the mood hits me...probably less than 6 in total so far, I think.

Tiago, you're right. It has two focal points...hair and violin. I was tired and did the arm/skin last. I'll keep working on those sections, focal point and other things.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2018, 03:52 PM
Enthusiast
Muncho Lake, BC, Canada

Hails from Canada

I am also watching movies and TV while drawing, so it's start and stop. Sometimes I draw or paint just to stay awake through the evening.

I have lightened the hair some and darkened the violin to make the focal point, also faded out the skirt ending and shaded/detailed the arms more.

Last edited by SherylG : 01-03-2018 at 04:28 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2018, 09:28 PM
WC! Guide
Magnolia, Arkansas

Hails from United States

You are very talented and you have done a good job, but my brain 🧠 is telling that something is missing in this composition. Although I have no experience with violin playing, but is she holding the instrument with just one hand and playing at the same time. Don’t you need the hand and the chin to hold and play the instrument? Also there is more focal point at the instrument than the little girl, in MHO.

Last edited by Moises Menendez : 01-04-2018 at 09:34 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2018, 02:51 AM
WC! Guide
Germany

Hails from Germany

I like it... Well done
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2018, 01:56 PM
Enthusiast
Muncho Lake, BC, Canada

Hails from Canada

Thank you, Fedetony!

Moises, thanks for the feedback! The violin is meant to be the focal point. Do I need to lighten the hair again? I know what you are saying about the way she is holding it. She is sitting in a chair, but I think the violin is strapped to a weight used for that purpose. Perhaps I should draw some of the chair top behind her?
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2018, 05:52 PM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

Her violin is floating. Having played violin for some years this jumped out at me. She is not holding the instrument with anything ... it is floating between her thumb and forefinger on her left hand. Her hip wouldn't be enough to support it and with it's shape it would twist and fall to the ground like that. The chinrest is a really important part. And she would have to twist and contort her arm/shoulder quite a bit to be able to get her fingering hand in position to reach the fingerboard.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2018, 04:26 AM
A Local Legend
Gretton

Hails from United Kingdom

I like how you have captured the child's concentration and involvement. That's more important than any technical shortcomings.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2018, 04:28 PM
Enthusiast
Muncho Lake, BC, Canada

Hails from Canada

Thank you Harry, Ken and everyone! I will take another look at the photo to see what the violin is sitting on. It may be sitting on the back corner of the chair. If so, I will draw that in. Thanks again. C&C is always welcomed.

She may just be holding it, testing out the strings and not actually playing it. Not sure.