WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Florals and Botanical
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2018, 08:20 AM

Xpost acrylic Sunflower field

Hey, new to here , wanted some feedback on this painting I made recently. Its around 36*48 on kraft paper and its mostly in acrylic the initial layers were sketched in in nupastel and charcoal and painted over with acrylics. Thank you, C&C welcome -Spike

Last edited by Charlie's Mum : 01-03-2018 at 11:36 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2018, 11:41 AM
North East England.

Hails from England
Re: Xpost acrylic Sunflower field

Welcome over here!

I'm assuming the ragged edges to be deliberate so how would you display this if sold?
It's a very vibrant painting and those foreground colours are a lovely mix.

BTW - to answer a question you asked in Acrylics .........
I use mountboard a lot for paintings (matboard in US) .... I usually have large-ish bits left after making the windows but I also have a large amount, free, from framers - if you know any, they might furnish you with some! .... of course, they won't be a big as this above!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Mum
Welcome over here!

I'm assuming the ragged edges to be deliberate so how would you display this if sold?
It's a very vibrant painting and those foreground colours are a lovely mix.

BTW - to answer a question you asked in Acrylics .........
I use mountboard a lot for paintings (matboard in US) .... I usually have large-ish bits left after making the windows but I also have a large amount, free, from framers - if you know any, they might furnish you with some! .... of course, they won't be a big as this above!

With the few ive sold so far, all the owners have put them up with pins the way i have in my studio when working on them, and yes the edges are deliberately torn. I have been thinking about possibly finding a of not having pins in them but the torn edge look is one i enjoy so perhaps mounting them onto wood and cutting it to size. Ive gotten comments from professors that the torn edge look is one they quite enjoy , maybe its a modern thing but i really wish there was a solution. I like the idea of using matboard but it still is fairly expensiveish and rarely frame my works. Also this in general is the smallest size i work unless a commission calls for it to be smaller like an upcoming one ive got for an 18*24, but thatll be done on a canvas. I would love to hear if anyone hads a good solition for the edges when working like this
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2018, 05:18 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

I think your idea of mounting the whole work on a hardboard or plywood panel is probably the best - it would preserve the edges and present the piece as complete in itself - could look rather nice!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**My SAA website**
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2018, 05:39 PM

When mounting it would i need to make the material mounted on it have the same kind of edge torn look?
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2018, 07:59 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

I think I'd keep it simple, straight edged.

**My SAA website**
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Mum
I think I'd keep it simple, straight edged.
I wonder if the board would be seen as the edges come up a bit when pinned
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2018, 08:26 PM

A lively interpretation of a sunflower field. The brush work makes me think of Van Gogh.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2018, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Wolff
A lively interpretation of a sunflower field. The brush work makes me think of Van Gogh.
Vincent is one of my favorites. Ive studied a ton of his work, everytime i go to art museums im just taken away by the way he used brushstrokes and texture in his work