WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2018, 06:59 PM

Stevie

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2018, 02:25 PM

Re: Stevie

There's no love for Stevie anymore
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2018, 02:05 PM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

Hello ... welcome to D&S. I've been busy elsewhere this week so I haven't been around much and missed this. One thing I think will help your work if you are looking to increase the realism is to avoid leaving outlines on anything. Use them, of course, as you lay out the shapes and placement but absorb them into the values when you are shading. If you look at the world around you, you might see thin shadows around things but they are never lines and unless they are in very bright sunlight, they will have softer and more diffused edges. Instead, use value, texture or focus to define an edge.

Here are a couple examples of clothing to demonstrate what I mean. First of all, I've left the construction lines on the uniform to our left. I used this method for everything I did but they were light enough to easily be absorbed into the value as I went along. But the texture and the values make the edges easily seen. And there are places that might look like lines at first glance but looking more closely you can see they are varying in width.

All that being said, I recognized Stevie Ray right away. Sadly it's already been 27 years since his death and although I remember him clearly I wonder how many of our younger artists know his work. But then I remember when Buddy Holly died since I'm older than dirt anyway. I remember George Washington as just a wee lad ...

Last edited by SparrowHawk7 : 01-06-2018 at 02:07 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparrowHawk7
Hello ... welcome to D&S. I've been busy elsewhere this week so I haven't been around much and missed this. One thing I think will help your work if you are looking to increase the realism is to avoid leaving outlines on anything. Use them, of course, as you lay out the shapes and placement but absorb them into the values when you are shading. If you look at the world around you, you might see thin shadows around things but they are never lines and unless they are in very bright sunlight, they will have softer and more diffused edges. Instead, use value, texture or focus to define an edge.

Thank you for the welcome and another thank you for the advice, I will take it to heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparrowHawk7
All that being said, I recognized Stevie Ray right away. Sadly it's already been 27 years since his death and although I remember him clearly I wonder how many of our younger artists know his work. But then I remember when Buddy Holly died since I'm older than dirt anyway. I remember George Washington as just a wee lad ...

Hahaha! I'm not that old but I am also not so young anymore I guess

Stevie was a true master at what he did, the inspiration for a lot of guitarists, then and now still. Funny thing though I had less appreciation for him, as an artist, when he was alive, it was some years after his death his music struck home. Thanks again!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2018, 09:52 PM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

I always liked Stevie ... and he surrounded himself with excellent supporting musicians which most people don't appreciate. I played rock professionally during the 70s so I appreciate some of the little things others might not see.

I also remembered doing something like your drawing a while back. This might give you some ideas ... now if I can only find it ...

Things I screwed up were the frets - they were not all square to the neck and the spacing was off. If I did it again I'd spend more time on that and his clothing. Also the head on the guitar appears slightly twisted compared to the body. Little perspective issues here and there. But it was done early in my first year of drawing so I guess I can allow myself a little latitude for that.